Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yep sounds like the way Kenz managed her CD title although I am not sure there was any choice in it :laugh:. Good luck to the red dogs they will do well they ALWAYS do :D.

And any that don't I will be waiting just let me know when to expect them :laugh:.

Edited by ness

Thanks for everyone's opinions on the stays. Note that there is no way this dog will be put in stays if the other dog is going ahead with stays, regardless of on a pass or not. It is NOT worth he risk.

I was just curious to see if anybody would approach the trial secretary or judge in advance to see about preventing this situation even presenting itself. So noone would?

The trial this weekend will be interesting since its been a week of virtual training - I have virtually done none!

Has anybody had a week like this and found that it has been of benefit?

One small training session early in the week is all I've managed. Fingers crossed :laugh:

The trial this weekend will be interesting since its been a week of virtual training - I have virtually done none!

Has anybody had a week like this and found that it has been of benefit?

Ah yeah...

Thanks for everyone's opinions on the stays. Note that there is no way this dog will be put in stays if the other dog is going ahead with stays, regardless of on a pass or not. It is NOT worth he risk.

I was just curious to see if anybody would approach the trial secretary or judge in advance to see about preventing this situation even presenting itself. So noone would?

I did have this situation and was told not to approach the judge, by a very experienced judge. They thought it would reflect negatively on me. There were 2 dogs I was worried about. One was not passing and was convinced to pull out of the stays. It was very unstable. The other dog was pretty stable but I knew Poppy hated it! I spoke to the owner about my concerns and we did some stays outside the ring, I heavily reinforced Poppy. Then in the ring I slightly angled her away from the dog. All was fine. But I haven't been into the ring since!! The stress of all that just did me in. Despite getting a good pass I just didn't find it fun.

Having a go at Rally O now and finding it less stressful without the stays.

I am intrigued by all this talk about non qualifying dogs doing stays. I trial in Sydney and when anyone NQs, that's it - they are out of the stays. The only time a non- qualifying dog is in the stays is if they are short on qualifiers.

As soon as anyone bombs they can pack up ready to go home! It just seems to be the accepted thing.

Who knows- one day I might get to try an open stay!

Hi guys, just wondering what you think is the best thing to do if you have been placed next to a dog that there is a dislike towards (and in return) for obedience stays?

Do you contact trial secretary in advance (1.5 weeks before trial) and plead your case? Do you ask the judge on the day to be moved for stays and state why? Or just sigh at the unfortunate position you've been placed in again and withdraw?

Thanks for your opinions! :)

I would approach the person if they failed and ask if they were going to do stays and ask if they could withdraw because I guess the person knows your dog and theirs don't like one another? If you both on a pass maybe approach the judge together? But then again I guess the judges argument could be both dogs could then be banned?? Hate stays iv had a dog growl at Mason before we enter the ring and I was scared to leave him in there with that dog. I know Mason won't retaliate but Gibbs is another story!!!

Ok I'm stuck on COP for open, Mason will drop at a distance no hassle, if I'm close he will then sit from the drop but the moment I'm further back he won't sit!!! Help I don't know what to do. Each time I go back and just work on that exercise closer to him but then when I take a step or 2 back he acts dazed and confused

Guest Panzer Attack!

Sup dudes, back into this thread for the long haul, I've been so impressed by what I saw at the Nationals :) So its back to the grind for Poots... We've had a really crap time of it up until now (partner was sick, then I was sick, a lot of the time in between Scootie wouldn't eat...) so now it's onward and upward, and we continue training to pass our beginners obedience class and learn how to weave. Baby goals compared to the rest of you, but hey!

So take half a step backwards and see if he can do it from there. Remember the golden rule....split don't lump :) if you use a clicker, click the moment he rises into the sit and throw the food behind him. Reset and backup one more step. Repeat. Vary the distances and don't be afraid to go back to where he can do it...always set your dog up for success :thumbsup:

Ok I'm stuck on COP for open, Mason will drop at a distance no hassle, if I'm close he will then sit from the drop but the moment I'm further back he won't sit!!! Help I don't know what to do. Each time I go back and just work on that exercise closer to him but then when I take a step or 2 back he acts dazed and confused

So take half a step backwards and see if he can do it from there. Remember the golden rule....split don't lump :) if you use a clicker, click the moment he rises into the sit and throw the food behind him. Reset and backup one more step. Repeat. Vary the distances and don't be afraid to go back to where he can do it...always set your dog up for success :thumbsup:

This! Tiny steps. This is what I had to do with my girl.

She still occasionally looks at me like she's never heard "sit" in her life - so I just have to go right back and build the distance again. I also reward the positions very heavily - so don't try the whole exercise in one go at first - I go reward for staying standing, then reward for dropping, then reward for sitting and release, or just do a drop to a sit without the first bit at all.

Also think about the signals/voice you are using and whether it is difficult for him to see/hear at a distance.

Edited by wuffles

Sup dudes, back into this thread for the long haul, I've been so impressed by what I saw at the Nationals :) So its back to the grind for Poots... We've had a really crap time of it up until now (partner was sick, then I was sick, a lot of the time in between Scootie wouldn't eat...) so now it's onward and upward, and we continue training to pass our beginners obedience class and learn how to weave. Baby goals compared to the rest of you, but hey!

Baby goals maybe - but super important ones. Especially when you read this in conjunction with bedazzledx2's reminder re splitting not lumping. You're doing exactly the right things - and it's good to see you back in here - and that Nationals were inspiring. :)

I'm having an issue with group stays. My girl is breaking her stays as I step away from her - but only in a group situation. We have no problems in training/trials in the recall, SFE, etc. I also have no problems in training when I do individual stays.

As soon as we get in a group environment (even one other dog) she is breaking as I walk away. She'll only take a few steps, then stop (if I don't come back, she will stay in that spot eg. for the whole 5 minutes at a trial).

If I reset her, she's fine. If I release then try another stay she is usually ok too - but does revert sometimes if I do a few stays.

She has always been very, very steady in her stays so this is a new issue for me. I can speculate about what caused it but won't go into it. I can say that she is a very sensitive dog and her confidence seems rattled at the moment (not just in stays, but in the rest of her work).

What do you all think I should be doing, keeping in mind it's quite difficult to find people to train with!

I'm following this one with interest, wuffles. I'm in the same situation (though for different reasons) - and like you, limited opportunities to train with trusted dogs and handlers (which is the stage I'm at at the moment).

I feel your pain about the staying a few metres ahead of the line. My first BC did that one day in a UD 10 minute down - there was a stand in Rottie next to him - nice dog, on lead, nice handler - but Sam couldn't cope with lying next to her - so he went a couple of metres forward of the line and did a 10 minute stand stay. Go figure - no idea why that felt better for him, but it obviously did.

If I reset her, she's fine. If I release then try another stay she is usually ok too - but does revert sometimes if I do a few stays.

I guess the question I need to ask is....do you think she knows what stay means?

Hey guys, just joining into this thread. My little man is now 12 months old and we can start doing some agility training! We had our first lesson last week and he had the most fun I have ever seen him have!

So far we have just been working on shadow handling and he has just come off lead for this. Also starting to build confidence with small jumps and learning the 'over' command.

I am hoping to compete next year when he is old enough, and it is important to me that we start out the right way for competitive agility. Can anyone recommend some good books that might be helpful with our training?