Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

Love the pic, RV :D I often use Satchmo as a distraction when I am training Ava. He has no qualms about wandering in front of us during heelwork or giving Ava a good sniff over while she's in a stay :laugh:

Last night we did some club training after a few weeks break and I am quite happy about how our training for Open is coming along! She did two really nice retrieves which I never thought would happen. We are also getting there slowly with the stays, she did a 3.5 minute group sit (I was in sight about 20m away) without dropping (YAY!) and she is looking quite comfortable when I go a long distance, hide for a short time or something is blocking her view of me. She was noticeably happier being around other dogs (especially ones she knows) and people so practicing in class rather than on my own is going to be helpful.

All stays were also done while the flyballers practiced in the adjacent paddock which must have been difficult for my little stickybeaker :laugh:

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I do have a question :confused: Orlando will not retrieve the dumb bell, how can I encourage him to do it, we tried by smearing the bar with the smell of meat / chicken as we will need to do retrieve in Open class & I would like to start him now while we are in Novice

we can get him to hold it but thats it

we will try anything to get over this hurdle of retrieving, if anybody has suggestions would be very much appreciated

murve will he pick up the dumbbell or are you handing it to him? I used (loosely) the Shirley Chong method here. I spent about 6 months getting a hold so you are doing well in that regard :rofl:

I've posted a few times about my frustration about retrieves, I think it can be a very hard exercise for dogs that aren't natural retrievers. My many months of squealing like a happy lunatic for interaction with the dumbbell has finally paid off and she is actually getting excited when it comes out of my bag.

murve will he pick up the dumbbell or are you handing it to him? I used (loosely) the Shirley Chong method here. I spent about 6 months getting a hold so you are doing well in that regard :rofl:

I've posted a few times about my frustration about retrieves, I think it can be a very hard exercise for dogs that aren't natural retrievers. My many months of squealing like a happy lunatic for interaction with the dumbbell has finally paid off and she is actually getting excited when it comes out of my bag.

Thank you Wuffles, Oh I forgot to add "I have to put the DB in Orlando's mouth" I shall study the Shirley Chong method, just had a quick read looks like it could work :D I am working with a Whippet, being a sighthound is fun :rofl:

I dont think you are a lunatic jumping around & squealing with excitement :laugh: I do that too when we have mastered something we have been working sooo long on :rofl:

I did that at Ballarat Obed trials before we even left the ring after completing the Stays for CCD, the judge must have thought I was an idiot, but when he asked me why I was so excited, I just told him we have our 3rd pass & now tittle, he was very pleased :thumbsup:

Edited by murve

Had a great training session in Open tonight. Annie did a lovely drop on recall, and a great enthusiastic dumbbell retrieve. She was solid in her out of sight stays, even when the dog next to her decided it was playtime :D

Just need to work on the sit from drop in change of position. She creeps forward a bit too much for my liking. Any hints on correcting this? I know i could always do broad jump, but we have only done this a handful of times Have my first mock trial in Open this Sunday :)

A couple of suggestions for the COP - practice on something like a table or on a step, or the gutter so she can't come forward. Alternatively use a barrier (I have been known to use a PVC jump bar but you could use a broomstick or anything). Place the reward behind the dog and send the dog back for the reward.

Toby has (kind of) learned a dumbell retrieve via Shirley's method :) I really like it!

Zora will be learning the same lesson as soon as her teething is done.

CCD and CD triallers any tips to help an upcoming trialler? I made a list broken into dot point critera of what is required and Toby can check off almost every point (needs a bit more work with SFE).

Another vote for shaping the retrieve - my Dally would rather have walked on hot coals in the pouring rain than retrieved a dumbbell and now he's so keen I have to reward the 'wait' :laugh:

I gave Em a Novice run in the practice ring at club on Sunday, just to gauge where we are at. Very funny girl - didn't help that it bucketed with rain half way through our heel pattern. Quite distracted by the novelty of it all but very waggy and prancy with some moments of brilliance so I can work with that. Recall was at half her normal speed - quite possibly because I've been working on stays a lot - she gave me a look that said "are you sure???" We did a sit for exam as only Mr TSD has done a full SFE with her. She was SO excited to be patted by a strange lady in a billowing orange rain jacket - tail (and whole body) wagged so hard and those little paws were dancing :rofl: It was great to see Em enjoying herself - still a baby so lots of time. Her figure 8 was too good to be true (first time with people) and her retrieve was lovely (as it should be!!!) Gawd, but retrieving training feels easier this week :D

Edited by The Spotted Devil

CCD and CD triallers any tips to help an upcoming trialler? I made a list broken into dot point critera of what is required and Toby can check off almost every point (needs a bit more work with SFE).

No 1 dont forget to Breathe :D

No2 Remember to Relax girl :D

No3 Have fun & just look at the trial as a training session :D

these are the points I have started going by :laugh: & they have started paying off

Oh as my OH puts it work with the dog & you will do good :D

Kivi's not far off CCD, either. Still a little polishing to do, but I decided I didn't want to trial until I'm satisfied his ring legal secondary reinforcers are enough to carry him. He's very easily put off. Plenty of time to polish while I'm sorting that out.

Our training with Mailka is coming along slowly, her heelwork is good, SFE we are now playing tippy toe dances but we are not sitting :cheer: anymore, we worked on our Recall today with a little help from my daughter :laugh:

Malika majorly anticipated the calls so I got Eve to hold her till I said "Come" after about 5 times Malika started to get the message :clap: , we practiced inside for now :clap: when I have more confidence with her I will take her outside. Hopefully we could have Malika in CCD early next year

Orlando has got COP down pat :cheer:& his Finnish for Recall is really good, just still got to fine tune the about turns, he still goes a bit wide but working on it tooo, then we should be ready for CD trials soon

Corvus you are just like me not going in the ring till everything is fine tuned :laugh:

:rofl: Wuffles - I still can't work out where i lost 3 points on a recall at the last trial when Kenz wasn't squiffy and everything I thought was pretty darn perfect yet the trial before she was definitely squiffy and lost 1 point.

:rofl: Wuffles - I still can't work out where i lost 3 points on a recall at the last trial when Kenz wasn't squiffy and everything I thought was pretty darn perfect yet the trial before she was definitely squiffy and lost 1 point.

Yeah I've had a few that have confused me as well. I am generally so happy to get a Q that I couldn't care less about points until the next day :rofl:

Had a members comp at my club today, with retired judge Margaret Deakes. Had our first go in open, and ended up on 163 NQ. Really happy with Annie as we were both learning our way around it. First go retrieving in the ring, and only lost minor points for a squiffy sit after the solid jump.

Failed the broad jump (those boards are for jumping on didn't you know :D ) and had to tell her twice to sit on COP. But she did her stays :) lost three points in the drop stay for fidgeting.

Well training got thrown out the window yesterday :rofl: my daughter & I were stewards at our Club Agility trials, Eve was a lead runner & help with adjusting the heights in her ring, & I was Asembly steward on another ring. Oh what a long day we were on the grounds at 7am to help set up all the equipment & do the last min jobs to get ready :D didnt end up leaving till about 5 pm,

The good thing out of yesterday Eve has been asked to be lead runner at another 2 Agility trials & I have also been asked to do Asembly, concidering neither of us have never done it before :D .

The judges were also very impressed with her proffesinalism (sorry for the spelling) they thought she had been doing the job for ages, more fool them when they were told it was the 1st time & she is older than they thought :rofl: :rofl:

The funny thing Eve twisted her knee in the morning but kept going all day, she did not let her knee stop her :D oh what a champ of a kid, I love her for courage :heart::angel:

Had a members comp at my club today, with retired judge Margaret Deakes. Had our first go in open, and ended up on 163 NQ. Really happy with Annie as we were both learning our way around it. First go retrieving in the ring, and only lost minor points for a squiffy sit after the solid jump.

Failed the broad jump (those boards are for jumping on didn't you know :D ) and had to tell her twice to sit on COP. But she did her stays :) lost three points in the drop stay for fidgeting.

Good work Nik & Annie :thumbsup: done better than us if we had done that class :laugh:

Great work Nik and Annie :) I don't do broad jump as Ava thinks the best way is to run straight over the boards. Are you going to enter any Open trials this year?