Another Idiot Owner...

Freshstart16

Driving home yesterday, a SWF maltese type dog is running around the street, i looked around to see if there was an owner walking him off leash....nope, drove up the street,turned around at the roundabout and headed back to following the dog, i clenched everything in my body as I see a car swerve to miss the dog...lucky both dog and driver are ok.

The dog runs into a yard so I pull up and look if it actually lives there or is just going for s sniff in the front yard.

Dog is in the yard, so I decided to go up and have a chat to the owner. and before you get all excited I didnt go and yell or anything, im too much of a scaredy cat for that :(

I knock and out comes this 70ish year old man, i ask him if the dog is his and i just tell him that his dog almost got hit by a car and he tells that the dog has gotten out three....yes count them 1,2,3 times this morning and why.....because there gate is open!! :( but he says not to worry, he will close the gate now.

what do you do....yeah i could have said well maybe if you had your gate shut the dog wouldnt get out..but I'm very scared of people as it is and Im the last kind of person to go and say anything like that....wish I had the guts though.....rant over

I came across two very stupid owners within the same 5 minutes last week.

The first owned a spaniel I picked up on the edge of the kerb, looking like he was about to cross the busy road. I rang both nos. on his tag - no reply. I took him to my vet as the local pound has actually relocated to an hour away (yes, I know - local paper carried an article from the new pound saying noone is claiming their dogs - surprise surprise.)

Anyhow, just as I handed the dog to the vet, the owner called and we had a discussion. Turns out he ALWAYS leaves the dog on the front lawn when he's out, no the dog doesn't normally go anywhere he assured me. I had plenty to say to him. My vet can fine him but let him off this time - let's hope he has learned his lesson.

Whilst I was standing there completing the form, a guy came in with a large staffy, he was struggling to carry the dog. I asked what had happened and the dog had just been hit by a car. HOw did that happen, did he get out of the garden I asked? He said no, I always leave him on the front lawn and he just sits there normally.

Two f---wits with the same stupid story in 5 mins!!! I truly hope that both dogs are kept secure from now on.

On the way out to the rescue the other day, I came across an elderly Foxy cross taking himself for a walk down the middle of the road. I stopped the car and got out to try to get him to go home, and he decided to climb into my car! I had a vague inkling as to which house he belonged to, so I drove him there, and tried to get him to come out of the car so I could pop him back in their yard, but he refused to get out of the car. The yard had another larger elderly dog in it, so I tested her friendliness through the gate (I got a lot of licks and her tail was wagging happily) - then I went to the front door and called to see if the owner was about. Luckily he was home, and he came and got Napoleon out of my car and back into the yard... and Pearl the big dog was so happy to have her mate back.

Last night when driving home from the rescue, Napoleon was out on the road again... grrr! He was heading towards home, so I slowly followed him to make sure he got there - and had to chuck my flashers on when a car came along and was trying to overtake me - he didn't see Napoleon, and probably would have run him over if I hadn't been there making sure the old guy was OK. The speed limit on the road is 80kph!!! (it's a rural area)

I'm dreading the day when someone finds Napoleon's body on the side of the road...

T.

I killed a dog on the road once.

I went to the door of the yard, that it and 2 other dogs, rushed out of.

I was in shock and shaking as I asked if he had a particular dog. He said yes and I apologised and started to explain that it rush out and went straight under my wheels.

He cut me short and said "great one less mouth to feed" and slamed the door in my face!

I rang the council and reported the his dogs who were still chasing cars - no fences.

I killed a dog on the road once.

I went to the door of the yard, that it and 2 other dogs, rushed out of.

I was in shock and shaking as I asked if he had a particular dog. He said yes and I apologised and started to explain that it rush out and went straight under my wheels.

He cut me short and said "great one less mouth to feed" and slamed the door in my face!

I rang the council and reported the his dogs who were still chasing cars - no fences.

What a horrible horrible person :( Why do people bother having dogs if their attitude is like that? So sad :(

oh that's terribe scarlet!

i met an idiot owner this morning while walking charlie. she had a foxy looking dog.. no collar and no leash. the dog was allow to run around the street free. it didn't matter that were cars driving around, kids walking to school, bike rider or other dog walkers! she was just walking behind her dog. i asked her where her collar and leash was, and the girl said that she didn't need it. her dog comes back when she calls it... well, her dog just ran across the road to come say hello to Charlie... we were standing at the corner of a roundabout :( I picked up her dog and handed it to her, telling her that she shouldn't be walking around a dog without collar or leash.

As Charlie and I were walking home (the most slowest walk EVER)... my neighbour was sitting on in front of her house looking shaken up... she told me that her DA Labrador x poodle had a go at a little foxy dog, when that little dog rushed over. it has no collar or leash on. her dog didn't draw blood, but.. yeah.. bad situation.

poor lady was so shaken up about that experience.

My daughter picked up a dog last week, stuck in the middle of the road, trying to cross, kept nearly getting hit by car.

She picked it up, brought her home.

She was a beautiful girl, don't know what sort of dog, looked like a black westie (I know westie's aren't black), anyhow, she had no collar, took her to the vet, no chip, but covered in fleas, and her skin was really bad,

My daughter took her and gave her a hydro bath, she said, 100's of fleas came off, and we fleaed her next day.

We didn't know what to do with her, we ended up ring a Rescue place, and took her there.

She was so beautiful.

Totally understand where everyone is coming from. I can't even take my guys for a walk up the street for all the loose dogs running around the neighbourhood.

I just love some people's attitudes - there is a whippet up the road that always has a muzzle when the kids take it for a walk on lead but there is no fence to the yard and it runs all over the neighbourhood unmuzzled all the rest of the time - what the?

I said to the lady once that if her dog needed to be muzzled on lead then maybe it should be contained properly in the yard as it's rushed us a few times when we've attempted walks - she just said it's ok because he always comes when she calls him....i drew breath to continue the discussion and then thought better of it as I'd be wasting my time.

I read these stories all the time....I just cant believe some people and they think there dog is safe not being in a fenced yard...maybe if your dog didnt leave the yard but I doubt that ever happens, and people might say ahh its ok my dog doesnt bite or attack, yeah fair enough your dog may not, but someone else with the same attitude has there dog out loose and may attack the said non aggressive dog.. then what.

And there dog might not be aggressive but dogs are no match for a car. What happens if someone swerves to miss there dog thats running loose and drives up on the foot path runs someone over and seriously injures or kills the pedestrian... theres just so many things that could happen if people let there dogs run loose.

ahh i hope that made sense...i was never good in writing classes :(

heartbreaking to say the least...

my own lil experience many months ago, walking my baby girl bella along a busy arterial between two very busy main roads and there, across the road in the driveway of a vacant house is this tiny lil dog scattering here and there ... it noticed bella and came out of the property onto the footpath and made a go to cross the road, with heavy afternoon traffic coming off the cumberland...

i tensed making 'no, no, no' sounds to the lil dog readied to cross the busy street ... there were a few school-aged children on my side of the street realising that something was amiss, frozen in their shoes...

i waited my chance and crossed the street to this lil dog thinking someone has GOT to know this dog ... collared and well-fed...

the ppl immediately next door directed me to the home next along and just as i was leaving her yard, this SUV pulled up with 2 very well coiffed well-dressed young adult women alighted the front, sending a young girl from the back of the car in my direction who picked up the lil dog saying 'what are you doing with my dog?' and marched off while the two high-maintenance dolly birds strode to their driveway with me saying to the girl, 'someone's not kept the dog safe while you were out ... [getting louder] it almost got run over ... [even louder] not to mention the frikken inconveninece to frikken ME!!!

srsly, some ppl don't deserve a dog's unconditional love...

edit: SVU = law and order show *eyeroll*, SUV = one of those 4wd motor vehicles srsly!

Edited by Skruffy n Flea

last week i had kids knocking on my door with a little dog they found ( they always come to me :( )i had just finished work, had to walk mine and really couldn't be bothered, but the dog was in an awful state, a little silky x, so matted it was dreadlocked in places :mad

so i drove it to the vet to check for a chip, no chip, vet nurse said she would shave him off he was so bad ;) so i checked he would go to hp, and left.

later that evening a lady came to my house asking me if i had her dog, she let it play outside ,didn't think it was a problem ;)

3 times i told her the dog was in such a bad state i thought no one owned it, no response :mad i told her which vet it was at.

i then took mine out for a walk, walked past her place and the little dog came rushing out, she came out and told me she got him back, hope the vet nurse told her off, at least he had been half clipped, so must be happier :)

Our suburb is getting worse for people walking their dogs off lead - my kids go to school about 5 minutes away and they have signs saying 'no dogs' on the ovals - doesn't stop the bl**dy guy who jogs around the unfenced oval with his two large dogs running free anywhere they wish on it - or the woman walking her friends GSP who told me her friend said she wouln't need a leash as he always came back when called - or the guy who ignored his little scruffer as it took a dump on the oval and only came to get it when it rushed me and the kelpie through a gap in the fence

I swear I am going to programme the council number into my mobile and report them

Edited by KelpieHoundMum

Some people just don't think about the probable danger and some people are just idiots. It is not just the general public, either....

You would think a VET would know better, but no. :laugh:

We were out on a main road one day, and we watched in horror as a car swerved to miss an old SWF sauntering across the road. We stopped and coaxed the shaking girl into the car, and called the number on the tag. It turned out that it belonged to a vet who was away from home, so we dropped it off and it walked through the fallen down fence.

We rang the vet later, and the reply was "oh she is a rescue dog, and she does as she pleases"....... We didn't even get a thank you. :rock:

Needless to say I would never take my dog to this vet as this one obviously has no sense, and no feelings for the animals they are supposed to care for, so what chance of a empathetic response to someone else's best friend?

Di