Generally What Are The Quarantine Times For Usa And Uk To Oz?

Wilderblu

9-12 mths for USA,if everything goes to plan.Pup needs to be rabies vacc at 12 weeks ,then titre tested 150 days BEFORE FLYING OUT,then 30 days quarantine here.

Uk is a lot simpler-pup needs to be 12 weeks? then 30 days here,not sure of the testing requirements though for UK.

The ones i know from the usa have been around $10,000+ for a big dog

Sorry wilderblu - not much info from me - but I have been looking at importing from the USA and then decided it was a hell of a lot easier from the UK - pretty much what Centitout has said is what I know! Hence now I will be strongly looking at importing from the UK if I am lucky! lol

all the best! :(

Hi, see here AQIS

Have a read through the requirements for each country.

Category 2 (U.K. and others) they come in at 12 weeks and spend 30 day in Quarantine.

Category 4 (U.S. and others) can come in at approx 9 months and then spend 30 days in quarantine.

Oh and generally about 10k depending on what the dog/puppy costs and what breed they are, goes on size of crate.

Edited by HANNAH

canada would be the same as the US ,30 days is only providing the correct tests are done.

Uk may be easier but depending on the breed waiting till 9 months may also work out cheaper in the long run

We brought a dog out at 9 months & no issues at all

The tibbie girl at my feet was imported from Sweden by an Oz breeder. Sorry, I don't know time in quarantine. But the Oz breeder told me she put her name down as the dog's groomer, as a groomer is permitted to visit while it's in quarantine (under strict conditions, of course).

Edited by mita

We bought our Labrador over from the UK about 4 years ago. I'm pretty sure you have to bring them freight, It doesn't make any difference if you are on the plane or not. From memory i think it cost us between 3 and 4 thousand uk pounds (not sure what the exchange rate is atm) and then you have to pay the quarantine costs (30 days)

The tibbie girl at my feet was imported from Sweden by an Oz breeder. Sorry, I don't know time in quarantine. But the Oz breeder told me she put her name down as the dog's groomer, as a groomer is permitted to visit while it's in quarantine (under strict conditions, of course).

Owners can visit on the designated days,any additional people have to be listed so saying groomer would make no difference

They should allow home stays. How many dogs have come out here and actually develop rabies? :( I think the vacc and titre testing prior to depature should be enough. But then again the government don't get revenue from home quarantine.

We imported from the UK 20 years ago and I vaguely remember it not being to much hassle. The dogs came by freight with some race horses. They have special flights for livestock (well they did 20 years ago). I remember it was a lengthy flight because they had to fly up and over Russia due to the gulf war at the time.

The link that HANNAH posted is great...... explains it all!! :( Thanks HANNAH!

Canada is in the same catagory as USA.

Whilst we are on the subject does anyone know of any good breeder directory websites like DOL for UK based breeders?? The UK Kennel club has very little info on the actual breeders.

Curious. Can UK -> NZ -> Oz be a better option . . . say you have a friend in NZ who would mind the dog for a few months?

As far as im aware home stays are no longer allowed its quaratine there too

There's the Pet Passport scheme which makes anywhere in the world ----> NZ -----> Oz an interesting concept, however you need to understand the NZ system and you WILL be charged GST, often on a grossly inflated price which has nothing to do with what you paid for the dog (like $10,000 for a dog which was on LOAN because it's entire so can be a stud dog so must be valuable :( )