Tuna / Salmon / Sardines: Oil Or Springwater

Skruffy n Flea

hello dolers :(

i have 2 swf and i've lately introduced 'fish' into their diet ... i had known that it was a good thing to feed them, but not too often was the info i read between the lines!

k, so i'm personally offended by the smell of sardines and i think my delicate lil fluffies might be too [or not] so i elected to give them instead tuna or salmon but in springwater cuz i believed they were being TOO well cared for ;)

now i'm reading that it's better to give them [fish] in oil!

bella gobbles her food and i think she has a propensity to overeat while byron is quite a slow eater and doesn't seem so motivated by food per se but responds eagerly to treats...

should i stick to the tuna or salmon in springwater or switch to those varieties in oil?!?

when i feed them tuna or salmon they get 47.5 gms mixed with a soup spoon or so of boiled rice and some boiled chicken and it's like only every few weeks or so, but i'm trying to do better so if you have any advice in that regard, i'd welcome your input :mad

ta much :mad

Why feed the rice?

I feed a tin of sardines in tomato sauce or oil or tuna in springwater mixed in with 3-4 cup of dry food for dinner 3-4 times a week.

When he boards he gets whole mackeral on a regular basis.

I don't feed salmon as it makes me ill so want to avoid coming into contact with it.

Edited by Danois

Why feed the rice?

I feed a tin of sardines in tomato sauce or oil or tuna in springwater mixed in with 3-4 cup of dry food for dinner 3-4 times a week.

When he boards he gets whole mackeral on a regular basis.

I don't feed salmon as it makes me ill so want to avoid coming into contact with it.

thanks danois ... rice!??! cuz i don't know any better *shrugs* i hear brown rice if any at all, but yeah!

k, so i can do the fish with dry food [as opposed to rice] ... and either in oil or springwater *win*

ima bit with the sardines as you be with the salmon *gags*

as for tomato sauce, is there not a concern with the salt content?!?! just askin'

thanks again D :(

I prefer to feed sardines in spring water rather than oil. Generally fish are packed in the cheapest oil available usually palm oil which isn't likely to have nutritional benefits (not to mention that palm oil production is causing so much destruction of forests and loss of habitat of orangutans.) If the fish was packed in fish oil it would be different - but when you look at the price of fish oil, that isn't likely to happen. I'd rather add fish oil capsules to my dogs' food and know that they're getting a quality product. I usually feed sardines once or twice a week (and get rid of the tins and clean benches quickly as I hate the smell too.)

My 4.2kg mini foxie eats BARF / chicken necks / raw eggs and *quality* sardines in *olive* oil. I give him a tin spaced out over a week or so every time I remember (so he's probably having sardines every 5th or so day?). The rest of his food is a third of a BARF pattie for breakie, a chook neck for tea and then occassionally a meal of sardines or eggs.

He literally glows with health! :(

My dogs are lucky enough to have a constant supply of salmon from my brother. I don't follow an exact BARf-type diet, but they always have meat on bone and both have lovely, glossy coats :laugh:

Harry gets the heads and Lola (pug) usually has parts of the frame.

4269606457_e064a57ab2.jpg

I give mine sardines in olive oil. I don't trust the ones that just say "oil". What oil?? I feed it about 3/4 times a week. They don't smell great but it doesn't bother me. What bothers me is the smell of the end product. Moose likes to sit on the couch behind my head and let rip after a sardine meal. :laugh:

Homebrand mackeral or sardines in oil here twice a week. I do drain off most of the oil though, I think it's canola??

Tuna often has high mercury levels (more so fresh than canned) so I wouldn't be over doing it. Salmon is fine but make sure it is Tasmanian/Atlantic salmon. Raw salmon caught in Northern Seas contains a parasite that can be fatal to dogs. Technically canned salmon is cooked so should be fine but I wouldn't chance it.

Sardines may make your stomach turn but they are very good for your dog :rock: For me it's liver that I can't stand - and I have to puree it to get Kei to eats it too :laugh: But I do it anyway as I know he needs it.

I feed home brand sardines in springwater a few times a week. YUM YUM :laugh:

I haven't fed tuna for a while but they like that too. :rock:

Leia won't eat the salmon that comes out of a tin. Archer almost certainly would but I haven't tried.