Blue Tongue Lizards

APBT

Anyone have a problem with the dogs and the blue tongues around? they seem to be pretty aggressive towards the dogs.

Reptiles aren't aggressive, they're defensive, they will attack if they feel threatened, but they aren't purposely going to track down a dog to hurt it.

My dogs don't like them only because they look a bit too much like snakes for their liking but they normally steer clear of the yard & walk around the rest of the property, I had my dog bail one up once, I gave him a stern telling off & he hasn't done it since (the blue tongue was fine) but he will bark & growl if he sees one.

I figure they were here first so we have to respect them as much as we can. If anyone has a problem with them either call a local wildlife organisation or relocate it to a location very close by.

Absolutely agree!!! My dogs aren't allowed to chase fur, feather or scale! Mind you there was a slight problem the other day when a pigeon landed on the outside steps and the dogs couldn't figure out how to get down without running over the damn bird!!! I had to laugh...maybe I've taught them too well!

Anyone have a problem with the dogs and the blue tongues around? they seem to be pretty aggressive towards the dogs.

Reptiles aren't aggressive, they're defensive, they will attack if they feel threatened, but they aren't purposely going to track down a dog to hurt it.

My dogs don't like them only because they look a bit too much like snakes for their liking but they normally steer clear of the yard & walk around the rest of the property, I had my dog bail one up once, I gave him a stern telling off & he hasn't done it since (the blue tongue was fine) but he will bark & growl if he sees one.

I figure they were here first so we have to respect them as much as we can. If anyone has a problem with them either call a local wildlife organisation or relocate it to a location very close by.

We had a blue tongue for the first time the other day, my dog is terrified of them! He lay on his bed and growled at it until we coaxed the lizzard into going out of the back yard and into the front. The one we had here was pretty friendly, it didnt seem to mind us or the dog...

Far too many are victims of dogs, and not the other way around. :)

They are pretty slow moving and not too agile, and their bite is like a pair of pliers. Sure they clamp down and hurt, but if they're biting at fur they won't get any satisfaction and the dog of cat will stay unhurt.

they seem to be pretty aggressive towards the dogs.

Openeing their mouth and hissing is the only defence they have :)

Dogs find them fun to hunt and shake to death- and irresponsible dog owners allow it ;)

provide earthernware pipes ,or some rockpiles , so the lizards can get away!

More hints HERE

we don't have bluetongues, we have shinglebacks instead. :) they share the chook/dog food, and often we will see the dogs and an old 'stumpy' laying flat out on the concrete porch in teh cool :)

I adore Blue tounge lizards....they are the sweetest animals.

The worst they could do to a dog is give a very gummy bite....no blood. I have been bitten lots cause I had them as pets when I was a kid. I used to carry mine around ...often in my pocket :) ;) :)

No long term issues with a bite.... just a bit of bruising.

They eat eggs, cockroaches and bananas.

Look after them....they are delightful to watch.