Dogs And Death

Elfin

I am writing this through heartbroken tears. I have just had my lovely old cat put to sleep at home on his favourite bed. :cheer:

Anyone that has been to Animal Eye Care in Melbourne would have met Toby.

Toby and my dogs (in particular, my oldest dog, Bernard) were all best friends. Every morning the first thing they would do is go and find Toby and give him a good morning ear-nibble. Any time he has gone away (staying at the vets, etc) Bernard gets very depressed.

After Toby had passed away, I let the dogs in to see that he was gone. They all ignored him, and didn't even sniff his body.

I have now wrapped Toby up in a blanket as he is being collected tomorrow for cremation, but is there anything else I can do to help the dogs cope?

I am coping by drinking a very expensive bottle of red.

Good night Toby, and thank you for being a good friend, a soft pillow and a top mouser. :champagne:

:champagne: So sad for you Elfin, oldies are so precious, not just for the special friends they are, but they are part of the fabric of each day.

we always try when possible to allow the other dogs to sniff one when we have lost them. just in a 'casual' kind of way as we dig the hole - so they have the opportunity to smell & sense their packmate has left us.

Usually they just give a cursory sniff and wander off. Once though all our wolfies began the most eerie howl of their lives when we brought Navarre home for burial - they just knew.

I'll join you in raising a glass for Toby :cheer:

hugs,

fifi

Thank you, fifi. Toby was 17 (he looked about 6!) and his heart just couldn't keep up anymore.

One of my dogs (Elfin) is being a bit smoochie with me now, but she has always been incredible at picking up on my moods, so I think she is more worried about me than about Toby.

I will let them see him again in the morning before he gets picked up for cremation.

Oh thats so sad, RIP Toby. I only just posted some pics the other doy of my old girl Holly (18) I cherish every single day with her now. Sounds like Toby had a wonderful life!!

Hugs to you......

I am writing this through heartbroken tears. I have just had my lovely old cat put to sleep at home on his favourite bed. :cheer:

Anyone that has been to Animal Eye Care in Melbourne would have met Toby.

Toby and my dogs (in particular, my oldest dog, Bernard) were all best friends. Every morning the first thing they would do is go and find Toby and give him a good morning ear-nibble. Any time he has gone away (staying at the vets, etc) Bernard gets very depressed.

After Toby had passed away, I let the dogs in to see that he was gone. They all ignored him, and didn't even sniff his body.

I have now wrapped Toby up in a blanket as he is being collected tomorrow for cremation, but is there anything else I can do to help the dogs cope?

I am coping by drinking a very expensive bottle of red.

Good night Toby, and thank you for being a good friend, a soft pillow and a top mouser. :champagne:

I'm so sorry for your loss Elfin, it's never easy saying goodbye to our furkids even more so longterm family members. I am sure your other furkids will go through their own grieving period but they will also worry about the signals that you are sending out and want to help you as much as I'm sure you will help them. Sending hugs your way.

I'm really sorry for your loss, Elfin. RIP :champagne: Toby. He was obviously a beloved member of your family unit.

You've done what you can as far as giving opportunity for your dogs to understand that Toby has departed our world. Don't expect them to take direct notice - they might, but don't worry if they don't. They'll know.

We once had a cow who gave birth to a calf that was unisexed and who had displaced organs. We had the Vet let the calf go and left the calf in the paddock for a while, so that its mum could have time to know it was gone, and not fret for it. The cow paid little to no attention to the calf, that we could discern. And never fretted for it.

For your dogs, the best that you can do is to be as 'normal' as you possibly can in so far as your routine with them is concerned.

In the meantime, :cheer: to you and sleep knowing that Toby had a wonderful 'earth' life with you, and a tremendous innings for a cat :laugh:.

I think animals just 'know' when the spirit has left, they don't often seem very interested in the body that is left behind.

scruffles to Elfin & Bernard, wolfies & deeries are so good at the silent support :-)) those big hairy necks are perfect for hugging and shedding the odd tear in.

fifi

Thank you tlc and Crazy Daisy.

I got Toby when he was about 2 days old. I was working at a vet clinic in Perth that did all the euths for the surrounding pounds. It was kitten season and I had euthed about 20 kittens that day. Toby was the last one to be done, and I just couldn't do it. He was sooooo ugly! I bottle raised him and he repaid me back 10-fold with his company, love and pure "working ability" as a mouser in my stables.

He had a great life and a peaceful end.

Thank you tlc and Crazy Daisy.

I got Toby when he was about 2 days old. I was working at a vet clinic in Perth that did all the euths for the surrounding pounds. It was kitten season and I had euthed about 20 kittens that day. Toby was the last one to be done, and I just couldn't do it. He was sooooo ugly! I bottle raised him and he repaid me back 10-fold with his company, love and pure "working ability" as a mouser in my stables.

He had a great life and a peaceful end.

Oh what a bitter sweet story. Toby was lucky to have found you on that day!! Sounds like he had the perfect life with you and your family!!

Farewell, Toby, beautiful heart. The rotten start ones so often are gold for their owners.

Sounds as though his friends have handled this in their way.

Worse I had was a young Anglo gelding who stood in the top corner of the paddock and vocalised over a few days for his mate, who succumbed to secondary C.

So sorry for your loss Elfin, it is never easy.

I'm sure even though they seemed to ignore her, they knew. Our dogs have had mixed reactions when seeing one of their pack gone. Some can't stop sniffing and being around them, some almost appear to be in denial and will not recognise that they are even there. Either way I'm sure they are all aware of what has happened and will react differently in their grief.

I agree with the rescue remedy for your dogs and you, it has seemed like it helped for us anyway :laugh:

I am so so sorry Elfin. Toby was a truly one in a million cat and I will miss him helping me out. :laugh:

I think animals can sense death. My foster cat Gus died on Thursday night and his 'brother' was acting very strange before he left. I think he knew the end was near. I think the dogs will understand that he is gone, and I think its good to show them the animal that has passed.

Sorry about your darling Cat

I remember losing my precious boy 3yrs ago now :laugh:

He died at home and my Rottweiler that he grew up with layed beside him and cried

I had wrapped Bart up and layed him in half a crate so the dogs could lick and kiss

him farewell

To this day my dogs are cat friendly and want to smother any cat they meet in kisses

I had no thoughts of getting a new cat. I just missed my boy so much, but one day a big

ginger boy was crying under my car. He has been there ever since.

My dogs Love Jeremiah to death

Sorry for you loss.