Great Dane X Irish Wolfhound

nixy

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think she'll be small either, but to me this:
She turned 10 weeks last Thursday and at that time she weighed in at 7.8kg

doesn't sound particularly big for a cross of giant breeds? Granted, I am used to heavier-set giant breeds so happy to be corrected.

From memory my dane was around 14kg at 10 weeks.

Guest *Pixie*

doesn't sound particularly big for a cross of giant breeds? Granted, I am used to heavier-set giant breeds so happy to be corrected.

It doesn't sound that big to me either. At 10 weeks my Australian Shepherd puppy was about 11kg and he's still only knee-height (currently 9mths old). :laugh:

From memory my dane was around 14kg at 10 weeks.

Yeah that's what I was thinking, my Saints and Berner have been around the same mark, I'd imagine Wolfies (pure) would fit in around there too.

12644366_600.jpg

that's a pic of her at 6 weeks

DSCF1709.jpg

this is her at 10 weeks lazing on the couch

DSCF1714.jpg

this is her still at 10 weeks playing with her older sis akasha who is nearly 2 (great dane x french mastiff)

DSCF1716.jpg

another action shot, akasha weighs in at 46kgs

DSCF1717.jpg

souki thinking akasha's great dane like lip tastes nice lol

naw thank you ^_^ i cant wait to see her growth journey and how big she will get! to me, the bigger the better, means more love to give haha or more big bear hugs :vomit:

We are so at opposite ends of the spectrum, my boy stands 15cm at the withers! :o

I know very little of large breeds but I believe feeding / growth rates have to be closely watched to protect their joints? I'm sure another DOLer will know more.

She is super pretty. :vomit:

akasha's mum was tan, and her dad was a black pure dane... i've asked about the heritage of her, and there is nothing that mentions rottie which i was suprised about too.

souki is the first puppy i've had, and when she was driven down here, i thought it was ok to take puppies from the min age of 6 weeks, but ive read a lot on here that it is recommended to take them around min of 8 weeks.

No, it doesn't sound very big, our Anatolian/Maremma cross was about 12 kg at 11 weeks.

bordeauxs dont carry black and tan so mum was probably a bordeaux x rottie or something else, they can look close to the original breed but they really are not.

to me, the bigger the better,

you shouldnt aspire to this. A dog grows to what it grows, if you want guarentees then purchase a pedigree. Grow giant breeds slowly and better to be a bit undersized then grow them huge and suffer the consequences of bad legs and joints later.

bordeauxs dont carry black and tan so mum was probably a bordeaux x rottie or something else, they can look close to the original breed but they really are not.

you shouldnt aspire to this. A dog grows to what it grows, if you want guarentees then purchase a pedigree. Grow giant breeds slowly and better to be a bit undersized then grow them huge and suffer the consequences of bad legs and joints later.

This is a really good point Nekhbet.

You need to read up a lot about feeding large breed puppies such as using only a large/ giant breed specific food, maintaining a steady diet for the first 12 months at least (ie not switching around), no calcium supplements etc etc.

You also need to be aware of the appropriate exercise for a growing large breed puppy.

You need to read up a lot about feeding large breed puppies such as using only a large/ giant breed specific food, maintaining a steady diet for the first 12 months at least (ie not switching around), no calcium supplements etc etc.

You also need to be aware of the appropriate exercise for a growing large breed puppy.

i am very aware to let her grow slowly and always monitor the amount of protein she eats.

i am very aware to let her grow slowly and always monitor the amount of protein she eats.

That's great!

However its not just the protein - its the protein to fat ratio as well as the calcium to phosphorus ratios :hug: