What Is Concidered A 'bland' Diet

Izzy hasn't really taken to the hills i/d and is getting kind of sick of chicken, so was wondering what is concidered a bland diet?

I've put her on puppy milk as she's taking more of that then water, do you think that would cause any upsets?

Yes, I'd not be feeding milk.

Are you feeding I/D cans or kibble? I'd not be changing from I/D at all unless your vet agrees. The only other option is to cook chicken and rice for her yourself.

If she's hungry she'll eat. Don't start making a fuss about trying to tempt her.. its a rod for your back in the long run.

Edited by poodlefan

Problem with puppy milk is that it fills them up but really doesn't give them much. So while it doesn't do any actual harm it inhibits their enthusiasm for better food :o

Cooked chicken from the supermarket mixed with home cooked chicken & rice cooked in the water you cooked the chicken in. You could also cook the rice in some of the milk if you wanted to.

Drinking is good, but perhaps dilute the milk a bit to get her back on to water - of course most animals would prefer milk to water, it has "taste" LOL

ETA: LEAN lamb is considered OK by most, also try a turkey breast instead of chicken, but remove all the fat. A scrambled egg is usually OK too.

Edited by Sandra777

Rice doesn't work too well for my dog so his 'bland diet' is usually chicken boiled up with some pumpkin or sweet potato. I then drain off the stock and put it aside, remove the chicken and shred it then add it back into the mashed pumpkin mix with enough stock to keep it nice and moist.

I feed him that with a little natural yogurt mixed in and then give him the stock to drink to keep him hydrated. That ususally works well for us.

Last time month when Kei was ill with a tummy bug I ended up feeding him boiled chicken with raw pureed carrot and a 1/4 tspn of ginger for quite a few days. That worked really well also. :o

Has your dog been put on I/D for a specific reason? If so I would be speaking to the vet before changing it.

Will try the chicken and rice and ease off the puppy milk, I rang the vet nurse that delt with her and she said basically only the hills i/d and chicken and that she's a little concerned about her not being overly fussed on food as she said parvo dogs having not eaten in a week would usually be eating your hand off.

Kind of worried hubby fed her too much chicken last night and it's made her queasy.

Has your dog been put on I/D for a specific reason? If so I would be speaking to the vet before changing it.

She's just getting over parvo, hence why im worried about her eating and drinking as if she declines any will have to go back on a drip

Edited by CheekyMonkey

This is a recipe that I have used from time to time if one of my crew has diarrhoea or is recovering from an illness. It isn't recommended for long-term use, usually only a maximum of 5 - 7 days.

Potato Stew

Ingredients: White potatoes, sweet potatoes, turnip, slice of leek, boiled chicken or beef

Instructions: Boil vegetables until stew-like and mix with the boiled meat -- which should be equal to 30 percent of the total recipe.

I use boiled rice, boiled chicken (seperated from bone afterwards) and some nutrigel mixed into each feed to make it at least palatable. I also keep the broth (fat and all) to mix in afterwards as well.

I use that for sickies to get them back on track.

Poodle fan, She got admitted last Wed, We took her home on the drip friday afternoon, her drip was scheduled to come out sunday night but it blocked up sat night so had to come out, sun we fed her water via a syringe, mon she went back in for another drip to be put on so came home monday afternoon where the vet had managed to get her to have a peice of chicken, when we got her home we got her to eat chicken and drink small amounts but the little terror pulled well should say chewed her drip out that night, I got her to drink a ok amount yesterday and eat small peices of chicken every so often, just this morning she hasn't been so eager to drink or eat but she's been pretty active been wanting to play with the kids so maybe just over did it yesterday

Poodle fan, She got admitted last Wed, We took her home on the drip friday afternoon, her drip was scheduled to come out sunday night but it blocked up sat night so had to come out, sun we fed her water via a syringe, mon she went back in for another drip to be put on so came home monday afternoon where the vet had managed to get her to have a peice of chicken, when we got her home we got her to eat chicken and drink small amounts but the little terror pulled well should say chewed her drip out that night, I got her to drink a ok amount yesterday and eat small peices of chicken every so often, just this morning she hasn't been so eager to drink or eat but she's been pretty active been wanting to play with the kids so maybe just over did it yesterday

Just remember feed her very small amounts (eg a couple of dessertspoons full) every few hours. Avoid big meals. Hopefully she's on the mend.

Darcy was given piglet mix (liquids only) for the first two days after his bad bout of HGE. Her tummy will be very raw... don't rush the feeding and don't feed her too much.. not good for them at all.

Would she drink chicken soup?

make it yourself- boil up a couple of chicken breasts and a small amount of rice, and some finely chopped pumpkin.. boil and boil.... then leave some of the chcicken in there... whizz it up in the blender so it's all smooth and very liquid .. add a TINY pinch of salt and see how she goes ;)

With th echicken/rice, as something more appetising- chop chicken up, and in a NON stick, DRY pan.. brown it until it smells like it is yummy :) Then mix with cooked rice.

I agree with VERY small amounts, and often....

I think it's just something that's going to take time, her appitite has definatly increased this morning, I ran out of chicken at her early feed this morning and she kept whining searching for food everywhere earlier so I got out the hills i/d and it got eaten straight away, but i made sure i kept to the small amount not what she wanted.

Probably way tmi but Her poo's are on the mend, as because she hadn't eaten anything she hadn't poo'd since really friday so her first poo's were really black with alot of blood but now as she's eating more they are starting to return to a normal colour and type

Hey, toughgirl27, in my very limited experience of having owned dogs for over 50 years (bugger age is coming through :) ) a bland diet as recommended by vets and others in the "know" has pretty well always been boiled chicken mixed with either rice or plain cottage cheese.

In my very limited experience as well there are not too many dogs who are allergic to chicken. :birthday:

xxhesapandabearxx