Puppy Sleeping In Bedroom

Savane

Just want to know if it's ok for a pup to sleep in a child room? I have a Border Collie pup, I would like to sleep in my 10 year old's room, there are many reason don't really want to get into them, but this dog will be becoming his dog and I want it watched and spent more time with, is it a good idea?

Just want to know if it's ok for a pup to sleep in a child room? I have a Border Collie pup, I would like to sleep in my 10 year old's room, there are many reason don't really want to get into them, but this dog will be becoming his dog and I want it watched and spent more time with, is it a good idea?

I have no issue with a pup sleeping in a 10 year old's room. I would say tho make sure your son and yourself train the pup to sleep on the floor in one place or use a crate, and that someone may need to take pup to the toilet duing the night. Puppies are hard work sometimes even at night.

It only leads to one problem............. :laugh: :laugh: Adult sleeping with dogs in bedroom

As kids we always had our dogs (GSD's) in our bedroom, they were my friends and I am always grateful to my parents for allowing it........ and as an adult, our dogs have free roam of the house and usually end up in the bedroom

The only real draw back is the toilet training.

You don't want the pup to learn that it is OK to soil inside.

Crate training is a really good option.

You can have the crate in the childs bedroom and when the pup get old enough you can leave the crate door open of a nightime.

If crate training is correctly done, pups have no problem sleeping in them and will often put themselves to bed in the crate when they get tired.

My pup sleeps on her bed at the foot of MY bed. Bed's are really the strictest places she's not allowed to be in/on, apart from the garage and parents and sister's bedrooms. Okay, that's about half the house. I'm 15, she's never jumped up on my while I was asleep, if that's what you're worried about. Just make sure that your 10yo knows to show your dog where its place is... Use one set of rules... if the pup isnt allowed in your beds, he's not allowed in your 10yo's bed, etc. OK, I rambled for a bit there. But I doubt anything bad would really happen. Hope this helps :laugh:

It only leads to one problem............. :laugh::thumbsup: Adult sleeping with dogs in bedroom

As kids we always had our dogs (GSD's) in our bedroom, they were my friends and I am always grateful to my parents for allowing it........ and as an adult, our dogs have free roam of the house and usually end up in the bedroom

sounds like my place :laugh:

NOT while you are sorting out the pup's behaviour growling at humans

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=190250

and not until your son gets better at handling the pup.

Edited by lilli

I agree with Lilli, you need to get the pups under control before you start letting one sleep in the 10 (or 11) year olds room especially if you are having issues with fighting and growling. Boundaries need to be set and you don't want the pup to start having any more issues than they seem to have already, get control of the fighting/aggression issue first.

My pup has slept in our room since we brought him home, he wasnt crate trained and he has never gone to the toilet inside the house, he know he must go outside. Normally I would say let the dog sleep in your childs room BUT if the dog growls at humans then he obviously has issues which need to be sorted out before you can allow this.

How old is the dog?

I do not think it is a suitable arrangement in your situation :(

if the pup was an only pup- by all means! :laugh:

As it is, you have all sorts of problems with your little pack- and I worry that this could alter the BC's behaviour yet again , and cause hassles with the other dog/s.

It will also alter the way your son sees both pups- he will naturally want to be soft on 'his' dog...and may inadverdently cause damage.

NOT while you are sorting out the pup's behaviour growling at humans

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=190250

and not until your son gets better at handling the pup.

Hmmmm, must admit I did not realise this puppy growled at people. I have never had that issue. But yes, that would have to be sorted.