Which Breeds Don't Shed Much?

JaxD

Hi all

Thanks to DOL and all the information I have learnt since I joined, I was able to change my friend's mine from buying a labradoodle from a pet shop and she is now going to buy a purebreed from a reputable breeder. She does have mild asthma which is triggered by dog hair which is why she was 'duped' into the idea of getting a labradoodle as she thought they all didn't shed.

Unfortunately, other than the poodle and Portuguese water dog, I don't know of any other breeds which either don't shed or shed minimally.

Can anyone advise me of other breeds so she can investigate them properly and make an informed decision?

I started a thread a while ago for the very same reason a friends little fellow has severe allergys. I see if I can dig it up and post it here for you to see.

Thanks, tic.. Would really appreciate that.. I did try and do a search but didn't have any luck..

I'm no expert but I think a Lagotto would be worth looking into. Have a look in the Breed pages on this forum.

Good on you for convincing your friend!

bear in mind they are very expensive - I haven't heard of one selling for less than $2000 ish. They are also very active?

Don't shed much? Or not at all?

Non shedding breeds include Lagotto, Poodle, Bichon Frise. They all need regular clipping.

Many breeds are low shedding, but if we are going to start talking about breeds that "blow coat" we are talking mountains of hair.

Do you want low shedding or no shedding? Prepared to clip or not? Prepared to brush? How often?

What sort of temperament and energy level does she need? What exercise and training can she provide and how regularly?

Don't shed much? Or not at all?

Non shedding breeds include Lagotto, Poodle, Bichon Frise. They all need regular clipping.

Many breeds are low shedding, but if we are going to start talking about breeds that "blow coat" we are talking mountains of hair.

Do you want low shedding or no shedding? Prepared to clip or not? Prepared to brush? How often?

What sort of temperament and energy level does she need? What exercise and training can she provide and how regularly?

Thanks for all the replies..

Her allergy is mild so I think low shedding would also be okay. She is very responsible and wouldn't take on a dog that needed regular clipping or a coat that needed regular grooming if she wasn't prepared to do it. However, she is a novice dog owner, never having had one before. Her hubby has had dogs before but she will be the primary care giver since he's at work all day. The other consideration is that she has young children, 3 and 6. She lives an active lifestyle and I'm sure the dog would fit into that but I'm not sure there's a breed that fits all the criteria of being a no/low shedder but also good with young children and would be suitable for a novice (although eager to learn) dog owner?

This is all great information BUT your friend also has to consider what sort of dog she wants - that has to be part of the decision - not just low or non shedding. No point in getting a non shedding high energy dog if she isn;t prepared for it......I know it makes it hard but......

Wire Haired Fox Terrier - only hair loss is when you groom him and it catches in the comb. Never seen a hair in the house otherwise. I think the Airedale is much the same but a bigger dog :)

Plus Wire Haired Foxies are just kick-ass dogs :o