Starving Dog Thrown From Car

k9angel

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you met the dog SBT123? How many rescuers here on DOL have taken on difficult dogs and with a bit of love and a lot of training have managed to turn that dog into a well behaved dog?

My own Staffy (foster failure from Staffyrescue) would have been PTS under your criteria. :D

It seems the RSPCA can do nothing right. If they did PTS this girl, people would say they didn't try. So they are trying to give this dog a chance...and the likes of you are saying....'Wrong! Kill her!'

Honestly? :rofl:

Too true, (though the RSPCA have given themselves a bad rep in the past for supporting BSL, and i'm aware that's not the thought of all that work for them and rescue dogs)

When i rescued my staffy from the AWL, he loved me so much as he had been in the pound twice, and only lasted 2 weeks at his last home...

He was shy, dog aggresssive (fear, as he had suspectedly been used for baiting).. So i trained him and trained him, and got so much back in return that it makes my heart break to think he may not have been given another chance.

All dogs should be assessed on an individual basis, not on the ideals that SBT123 mentions about staffies and boxers, which should apply to all dogs..

and saying that they're ticking time bombs is absurd, as they're no more likely to attack as long as they're given a comfortable loving home where they know their place and fit in.

I swear it's all too easy for people to say PTS, that sort of thinking is probably why we have so much over population.... ah well if we breed bad dogs they can always be PTS then we'll just get another, dogs are not disposable objects, you make your choice to own one and as far as i'm concerned it's your responsibility for life... if they turn out less than perfect then you have no-one to blame but yourself.

Edited by geo

:):rofl: Thats absolutly disgusting, there is NO need for a dog to ever end up in that condition. I hope whoever has done this is caught and if I had my way they would be starved and thrown from a car. :eek: ;) Just sickening and way too sad!!!!!!!

My sentiments exactly ;) .

Have you met the dog SBT123? How many rescuers here on DOL have taken on difficult dogs and with a bit of love and a lot of training have managed to turn that dog into a well behaved dog?

My own Staffy (foster failure from Staffyrescue) would have been PTS under your criteria. :rofl:

It seems the RSPCA can do nothing right. If they did PTS this girl, people would say they didn't try. So they are trying to give this dog a chance...and the likes of you are saying....'Wrong! Kill her!'

Honestly? :)

Well said, TM. Disappointing attitude SBT123.

I haven't read the thread or met the dog, my only comment was on "nerve" which seems to be generally misunderstood, although not by sbt123 :laugh:

I did get the gist of what 'weak nerves' means Jed. It just seems to be a rather archaic term though, although one obviously used by breeders.

To explain it's meaning......a 'weak nerved' dog shows avoidance or aggressive behaviors in response to non-threatening people, situations or objects.

I can understand that with a breeder, this is a trait that is not wanted but....in a rescue dog from an abused background some of this sort of behaviour can certainly manifest intitially.

As I will say again....unless someone has met the dog and has observed it's behaviour over a period of time, they cannot judge if the dog is rehomable or not. ;)

My Kelpie X (a rescue) could be described as 'weak nerved'....as he shows avoidance of objects and situations tha by rights should be non threatening.

He is often a 'big girl's blouse' in new situations, like currently with me trying to get him to use the new doggy door.

Just putting a new tick collar on him makes him creep about pathetically like he has been beaten. Yet, he would have to be the most brilliant dog I have ever owned. :D

Edited by Tim'sMum

Just putting a new tick collar on him makes him creep about pathetically like he has been beaten. Yet, he would have to be the most brilliant dog I have ever owned. :laugh:

Yep, my Esme is like that too. She's very soft and doesn't cope with new situations/some people etc - yet she's reliable with my daughter and one of the best dogs I've ever owned. She does the beaten dog routine very well though.

I know she's a 'dud' in terms of what the breed should be though - but she suits us 110%.

Edited by Clyde

'Weak nerves'.....is that a medical condition. :laugh: I am assuming you mean timid ? Should we PTS every dog that is timid?

Poor nerve or weak nerves, which is what I believe was meant, is inherent in the dog, . If I was breeding b oxers with poor or weak nerve, I would desist, or change lines. Weak nerved dogs are often dangeerous, and fear biters. If you want more understanding, check out the BSL forum, there is a thread there on weak nerves

Absolutely. Where an SBT or Boxer with a correct temperament would stand it's ground, observe the situation or not see itself as being under any threat, the weak nerved gutless dogs often run and even worse, lash out in fear. They do not display the tolerances, that would be expected from either breed and to be honest they are bloody dangerous.

I guess that everyone is entitled to their opinion, provding it's the "right" one according to DOL rescue

'Weak nerves'.....is that a medical condition. :laugh: I am assuming you mean timid ? Should we PTS every dog that is timid?

Poor nerve or weak nerves, which is what I believe was meant, is inherent in the dog, . If I was breeding b oxers with poor or weak nerve, I would desist, or change lines. Weak nerved dogs are often dangeerous, and fear biters. If you want more understanding, check out the BSL forum, there is a thread there on weak nerves

Absolutely. Where an SBT or Boxer with a correct temperament would stand it's ground, observe the situation or not see itself as being under any threat, the weak nerved gutless dogs often run and even worse, lash out in fear. They do not display the tolerances, that would be expected from either breed and to be honest they are bloody dangerous.

I guess that everyone is entitled to their opinion, provding it's the "right" one according to DOL rescue

I understand what you're saying but how do you explain for example one of my dogs (suspect staffy/mastiff type) is scared of loud noises and paper bags, she's finds it hard to even take a bone from your hand if it's just came out of a plastic bag....?

but you put her with strange people she is rock solid (submissive but not scared) & she is not fearful at all of other dogs, so knowing full well how daunting a kennel/pound can be how can people accurately assess strays and abondoned dogs in theses situations that will give them a good understanding of how it will react in a "normal" situation?..

I think you have to allow for quirks. My Stafford pup who is rock solid doesn't like plastic bags flapping near him but my soft Stafford wouldn't blink if I tied a plastic bag around her collar for the day. Like people, they're allowed to have their likes and dislikes. There's a big difference between dislikes/quirks and weak nerves IMO.

Any breed dog, not just Boxers and SBT's can show fear, run...or even lash out if put into a situation where they are amongst strangers and in an unknown environment....and as in this case, suffered a trauma. It's called fight or flight! Yes, these two breeds can be dominant, but so can many other breeds. These two breeds can also be pathetically friendly and totally goofy big boofers. Each dog is different and until you see that dog, get to know it, spend time with it...you have absolutely no idea how rehomable it is.

Making presumptions over the internet, without meeting the dog in question, without speaking to those who know the dog and have cared for it....and basing those presumptions purely on a dog's breed or combined breeds is really no different to BSL....as I pointed out previously. :laugh: