Josie's ' I Need Feedback ' Thread

iltby

Im no professional, but I particularly like the 1st and 3rd picture of Misty - Thats really brilliant photography Josie!

I was also wondering what was on Mistys nose for awhile there- It sure does capture the essence of what cats can get up to!

:driving:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks a lot Jacq and Nathan :)

Here's another lot from the 4th...I'm still really unhappy with them and I don't know why-

4496362968_5c01da1f3c.jpg

4496560235_40328d4706.jpg

An attempt at HDR...probably my best yet but still pretty so-so.

4496356410_2fb5f70524.jpg

4495711317_5fb46c1a24.jpg

4496355808_ce638a029b.jpg

4495721081_61b92ae99a.jpg

4496359678_3b21fa6374.jpg

4496359970_98157b38ea.jpg

4495722467_c8027c6cfb.jpg

4495723437_7ce41b4f29.jpg

Edited by iltby™

I think they're all awesome......but I need photography lessons! I'm inspired to get a "real" camera and take lessons :) . OT from OP but I love coming in here to see everyones work......just inspiring! You're all fantastic!

I love the landscapes, you have probably mentioned already, but can i ask what lens you took them with?

I love the wild flowers! All your photos have such lovely vivid colours, I love vivid colours. but then i also love the pictures of the husky you picked up. Maybe i should change it to vivid colours and or high contrast. I like you make lovely pictures.

I know how you feel about not being happy with your work when everyone thinks it is great. I am going through a bit of that with my art at the moment. One suggestion i had been given that I thought was great and seems to have helped is to just go out and either create something diffrent or just have a bit of fun. For example I started doing some quick sketches, no real skill, no perfecting, no detail just playing. Now that I feel I want to do a large piece I have switched to a horse instead of a dog (totally diffrent fur and technique). Not sure how you can do a similar type thing in photography, but I am sure you can, think about it. :laugh:

I love the landscapes, you have probably mentioned already, but can i ask what lens you took them with?

I love the wild flowers! All your photos have such lovely vivid colours, I love vivid colours. but then i also love the pictures of the husky you picked up. Maybe i should change it to vivid colours and or high contrast. I like you make lovely pictures.

I know how you feel about not being happy with your work when everyone thinks it is great. I am going through a bit of that with my art at the moment. One suggestion i had been given that I thought was great and seems to have helped is to just go out and either create something diffrent or just have a bit of fun. For example I started doing some quick sketches, no real skill, no perfecting, no detail just playing. Now that I feel I want to do a large piece I have switched to a horse instead of a dog (totally diffrent fur and technique). Not sure how you can do a similar type thing in photography, but I am sure you can, think about it. :cry:

The landscapes were taken with my 10-20mm Sigma :( It's been pretty neglected so I thought I should start using it.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll definitely give that a try :) My friend and I were planning to go out and do some street photography anyway which would be a big change.

Josie I love the B&W of the husky. Really nice contrast. Your doing some nice work, really pretty vibrant colours with your macro. :laugh:

Thanks a lot Serena :eek:

The Malamute shots were pretty lame originally but I was bored and decided to have a play and I really like them now.

ETA: Thanks Firestone and Amika!

Edited by iltby™

4496355808_ce638a029b.jpg

4496359970_98157b38ea.jpg

4495723437_7ce41b4f29.jpg

Sometimes even the most brilliant minds, cannot see perfection. Perhaps your aiming for something you havnt found yet, keep trying!

Im enjoying the pictures, amazing! Ive slotted in my favourites here

The first one I feel really, draws you into it. The rocks and clouds taking us deeper into the back mountains. Great vision

The fifth one of the cat is just eye catching, the expression is really captured here and I just love those eyes!

The last two I slotted in was because I especially try to do pictures like this myself, bit hard without the proper camera, but I still try and make it work.

I love droplets, whether from rain, water, frost etc it all looks so magical! The droplets are like little magnified windows!

:)

I love your other shots Josie but I'm trying to put my finger on what about this photo doesn't work for me.

I think maybe the contrast between the clouds and the blue of the sky is too dramatic? Like the blue levels have been cranked up too high. The other landscape is better for me but still the blues are very blue, especially around the cloud where the blue becomes darker.

You are rocking that macro though. I love the rose with the three thorns. :laugh:

I love your other shots Josie but I'm trying to put my finger on what about this photo doesn't work for me.

I think maybe the contrast between the clouds and the blue of the sky is too dramatic? Like the blue levels have been cranked up too high. The other landscape is better for me but still the blues are very blue, especially around the cloud where the blue becomes darker.

You're onto it Shell.

I'm not a landscape photographer but the sky is the issue here as it the rock in the foreground.

The clouds can look angry and have great tonal contrast (maybe just s teeny bit too much) but the blue areas are overdone. You have gone way too heavy with your processing. Are you editing in photoshop or LR? If you have this as a RAW, go back to LR and play around with the luminance of the blue channel. You will get a way better outcome. (just be aware that the blue that's in the shadow on the mountain will also be affected).

Also darken the rock as it's not leading the eye into the image as it has the potential to do. At this point it's drawing the eye away from the clouds when you want it to be the other way around.

The shot has potential, it just needs a re-edit.

Thanks a lot Nathan :( I was really happy with yesterday's lot of photos so I think I got what I was after.

Shell, yeah, the blue came out incredibly brightly...I'm still trying to get my head around HDR, it's really difficult to work out! I'll keep at it.

Thanks Mag :laugh:

4502196849_b2f2380c9b.jpg

4502194717_fa513c9659.jpg

4502829838_5d5b8eee4a.jpg

4502192501_f733054103.jpg

4502191949_dd05a5ca0c.jpg

4502823216_d669e4aaef.jpg

Thanks for that Ash. You use Photomatix to create the HDR and then edit further in Photoshop, so it's a matter of getting everything right in Photomatix which I'm still trying to work out :( I'll have another shot at it though.

Okay this is very sloppy but is it sort of what you had in mind? -

4503662545_4e23090d77.jpg

ETA: That'd be great.

P.S: It is a blending of 3 exposures, not a 'fake' HDR.

Edited by iltby™

Okay this is very sloppy but is it sort of what you had in mind? -

4503662545_4e23090d77.jpg

ETA: That'd be great.

P.S: It is a blending of 3 exposures, not a 'fake' HDR.

It's better.

There's no such thing as fake HDR. There's HDR, then there's tonal contrast. Two different techniques that can give similar effects however with HDR you need three images layered together, tonal contrast you just need one image that is shot in RAW.

I'll pm you the technique.

I really can't get my head around HDR - I understand the concept and love the results but I haven't put it into practice yet. I might have to have a go in the next couple of months.

I like the re-edit Josie. The very dark blue is still drawing my attention but it's not as pronounced as before.