How Often Do You Bathe Your Dog?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Our dogs both have long hair so get professionally groomed once a month and brushed regularly in between...Because Bazzy is white (maltese) he always looks manky, even after just being groomed - manky with a ribbon in his hair!

Ours spend most of the day inside. I do full baths every four weeks but often need to do a half bath in between. Charlie piddles on his fringing and Leah squats so low that it gets on her trousers. :o If I leave the full bath for an extra week or so, they start to feel dirty when I'm stroking them.

Once every 3 or 4 months. Although they did get an unexpected bath yesterday as they had FLEAS :o None of my dogs have EVER had fleas before, I was horrified. When I went to buy the shop out of every type of flea stuff they had the guy said the season has been great for fleas.

If I think they need it, have gone to the beach and actually gotten wet (Lewis never gets wet!) or they have rolled in something gross.

Now I have Lewis it is probably around the 2 month mark. As he has lots of white and we have gravel, his whites get dirty and I wash them for that reason, not because they smell. Their beds quite often as they get grotty and the Stafford has skin issues so his bedding can smell a bit doggy in a shorter time. The whippets beds get washed but not as often as they don't get as dirty.

Every few months. At the moment Rams has taken to sleeping in a hole he has dug in the backyard so he is nice and dusty all the time but apart from that hardly ever wash him. OH baths Leila (GSD) even less than that! Maybe 1-2 times a year. I dont like bathing her because she is a PITA and tries to get out, whereas Rams and Friend (Beagle) just stand there and let me do whatever I want. Good boy dogs they are!

About every 2 weeks or more often, now that we're out with the horses and Buster has discovered just how great it is to roll in fresh horse poo I'm a little more careful about keeping him clean as he sleeps in my bed.

Cindy gets bathed once a month or so because we visit in a Nursing Home and that is part of the conditions of allowing dogs in.

She is very attached to the concept of rolling in stinky stuff though so does get extra baths. At the moment the park we walk in is covered in duck poo so if she doesn't eat it :o she rolls in it. :(

Micha very rarely - Sibes are very clean dogs that don't tend to have that doggy odour and are self cleaning. He can roll in mud and a few hours later looks clean again :o Maybe four times a year at the most.

Daisy also gets bathed rarely, whenever she needs it really. Cherry needs more frequent baths as she gets smelly easily, at least twice a month really.

Edited by huski

Havs get bathed weekly and then for shows but I have a muttly CattledogXborder collie and she never needs bathing unless she's rolled in something :o Seriously, the rest of the time, she just doesn't smell!! I have a "pet" hate which is Au De Dawgy :(

I hardly ever feel the need to wash mine, partly becuse they all go swimming in the dam/creek most days and it feels like a waste to wash them only to have them go in swimming the next day but also none are into rolling in things and only Benny has a tendancy to smell doggy. Anna has teflon fur! I think she has had 1 bath in the 1+ years I've had her, even when I got her out of the pound after 6 weeks in there she didn't smell at all. Raffy is pretty good too at keeping nice, he does get regular brushing tho. I probably should give them all a wash before the warm weather is gone and that will be it until after winter unless something icky happens. :o

Whenever Jet needs a bath he will get one. It usually once a month. He tends to get dirty and yuck after we go to the beach or if its been muddy. At the moment he is dirty but I am not going to bath him until the rain stops up here otherwise he will just get dirty again.

A couple of times a year. He gets brushed a few times a week though. And because he likes to sleep in dusty craters in the yard I beat the dust out of him like a rug before letting him in the house. I also give him the occassional rub down with a wet towel if I think he needs it.

We wash ours every 2 weeks or so - but generally the male tends to need more washing than the female, as his coat feels greasy pretty quickly. Not sure if that's a male thing. The female, well you could easily get away with washing her every two months. She has a beautiful, soft coat.

Wow, I almost feel guilty- Honey gets washed every couple of weeks.

I would love to do it less frequently but I walk her in wet grass in the mornings and I find that her tummy skin gets irritated if I dont wash her regularly. She always looks so purdy and fluffy when I do too. :D