How Often Can I Wash With Alloveen

Azzachazza

Hi Everyone,

Quick background; Been to the vet multiple times, with Nala, because she often gets hotspots, dry skin and what looks like a flea allergy near her back, close to her tail, which has become red and scabby. I have never found a flea on her though. Currently I am in the process of elimination to find the allergen. Thought at one stage it was a shrub with thorns that now has been removed, or possibly our little five month old Minnie, who bites her sometimes.

Anyway, the vet suggested antibiotics to clear her skin, but i have found a week or two with the elizabethan collar keeps helps the area heal and im also not keen on putting her on antibiotics so frequently. I hope to find out the cause soon, as its sad to see her in the collar, she doesn't seem too happy about it.

Also the vet suggested to wash her up to three times a week with alloveen. Now Im just wondering what everyone's opinion is regarding this. Previously i would only wash Nala every few months, maybe this has caused her skin problems?? Could washing her more pften solve her problem? Might this not make her skin more dry?? Im just quite confused and feel helpless at the moment. I would appreciate anyones advice.

Aaron

She will smell PURTY if you bathe her in Aloveen 3X a week :( The oatmeal in it is soothing for sensitive skin :o But you are better off to treat the cause rather than the symptoms ....which you are doing.....it is possible that being left without a bath for ages *could* be irritating her.

Just got to say - if you had an itchy area and you simply *couldn't* scratch it - it'd drive you CRAZY!! How is Nala about the Elizabethan collar? Does she go back to scratching/biting at the same area??

I have an itchy boy and I bathe him in Aloveen, sometimes every other day when he is having a bad time, and no problen with drying of his skin. With Nala have you had her thyroid checked? My boy had his checked and started on thyroid meds and his skin cleared up. He recently had another otchy skin attack and his thyroid was rechecked and his meds adjusted and he is now fine.

Hey there, I feel your pain. We are working with a dermatologist to isolate Bronte's skin issues, but to soothe her skin in the meantime I also use Aloveen or PAW products.

I bathe her once, sometimes twice a week depending on her itch level. Also the the vet has said that the Aloveen conditioner applied alone can be used daily without a bath to try and cool and soothe the skin. I've never had a problem with her skin being dry or upset by her frequent bathing.

Both Aloveen and PAW shampoos and conitioners make her smell beautiful too. :D

Edited by SmoothieGirl

Oh goodness don't get me started on allergies but here are some suggestions:

1. Evening primrose oil shampoo - vet grade from Groomers

- smells lovely and does help with the itch

2. Aloveen can be ok but be careful b/c if you dog is allergic to oats then it may make things worse

3. Malaseb is my current shampoo when hotspots break out - it cleans up dandruff and kills fungi and bacteria

4. Dermatologists can order a spray for your dog that is a steriod spray (Cortivance)- only active once it touches the skin and isn't absorbed into the blood stream to cause other steroid problems like creams are:

however a cheaper option is to go to your local chemist and get a 0.5% steriod cream - use very sparingly as needed b/c it will be absorbed systemically but will clear things up when desperate

5. Diet - KISS principle - my allergy dog has BARF and after 2 months on Dr B's patties her skin is awesome for her - it works out if you feed half a patty as 80cents per meal which is quite cheap. Also beef is the worst meat. So avoid that, but don't forget lots of bones to chew on for breath

6. If they get conjunctivitis then bathing the eyes with cool tea on a cotton ball

I'd bath with Calendula. But then, I am sure I'm sounding like a broken record. It is anti-inflamatory and anti-bacterial but natural and without soap, so it helps for the skin to find its own natural balance, but helps to ease the discomfort and avoid secondary skin infection.

ETA: Do a smaller area first, to make sure.

Edited by Erny

I just make up a pot of calendula tea, pop it in a spray bottle, add a little more water (and sometimes a dash of colloidal silver) and then spray it all over Pepper's coat/body and rub it in, when she has an allergic reaction.

If I had a long-haired dog I'd probably just take her outside and pour it over her - perhaps as a rinse after washing her with whatever shampoo I usually use.

It really depends what kind of allergy you are dealing with.

With my boy we don't wash him regularily and he is allergic to oats to Aloveen is a no go for him. Some allergic dogs benefit from being rinsed with just water every day.

When you mentioned about the flea allergy, Fleas don't have to remain on the dog, they simply have to bite and move on and this is enough for a sensitive dog to show flea allergy dermatitis.

In the greater scheme of things the dog is not going to suffer from havign the anti-biotics, why not pop the dogs on the course and see if it will assist, this may help your Vet narrow it down further. Allergic dogs suffer secondary skin infections so sometimes anti-biotics are nececssary.

In addition, has you Vet conducted a skin tape test for yeast or a skin scraping for mites?

I really do doubt your 5 month old mini is contributing to allergies.

Continue on with what your Vet is asking you to do that way they can assist you further. If you don't feel you're getting enough out of your Vet ask to be referred to a Dermatologist.

Calendula tea spray can assist.

What are you feeding at the moment?

I know you probably are doing this but what are you using for flea control? especially if it is a flea allergy.

I also think Calendula is very helpful :happydance2:

I would do the course of antibiotics, I have found a course often assists in clearing things up (Diesel has allergies that flare up all the time!)

I also use Malaseb if it is getting bad and smelly and use the Aloveen conditioner weekly in between (I mix with water and apply with a rag, get him really wet with it and then dry with towel).

what calendula shampoo do you use?

It is not a shampoo. It is a tea. "Calendula" are marigold flowers (dried). You would brew up a tea from them (I put a couple of tablespoons in the toe of a stocking) and brew it like I would as though it is a tea bag. If the dog is long haired, I'd use a spray bottle, lift the coat, spray as close in to the skin as possible and give it a rub in with your hands, to get it to the skin. I do similar with short coated dogs, although with them I don't have to lift the coat and sometimes I use a flannel saturated in the tea instead of the spray bottle.

I tend to find I notice improvement inside 24 hours. Treat again if redness remains, but don't treat again if it is any worse.

You purchase Calendula from a Health Food Store. I have found that I have been able to avoid use of antibiotics by using this as a treatment for the symptom. But you still need to work out and remedy the cause for any skin irritation - it is not a 'cure' for that.

Im not sure what your feeding your pup but i find some foods like Proplan and Eagle pack natual make my dog itch/scratch constantly so had to change her diet...

Just a thought...

I find the opposite, Eagle Pack Holistic Select is one of the only foods my dog eats, he has to stay off yeast/gluten and the Holistic Select range are yeast free. He itches much less on this then he did on Advance.