Non Fatty Bones

One of my girls had pancreatitis last year and is now on a very low fat diet (and also on a special renal diet now). I haven't been giving her bones but yesterday her visiting vet said to give low fat bones. He suggested I got marrow bones cut length ways and scooped the marrow out. A lot of butchers don't seem to like to cut them like this so I will have to find one who will. I also wonder if anyone can suggest what other sort of bones might be low in fat.

ETA I also have the issue; being Labradors both my dogs eat like it is their last ever meal so with bones I have to be careful what I give them as they will swallow things whole :D

Edited by WhiteEagle

The marrow is the "fatty" part of the bone so as your vet has suggested, the only way to get a low fat bone is to cut the larger bones in half and scoop out the marrow. I've found if you can get the big beef thigh bone from Woolies or Coles the guys in the meat dept are more than happy to cut it length ways for you. Scoop out the marrow and you then have four bones for the price of one. Beef bones are the hardest of the bones for the dogs to chew so that is probably your best option.

All the dried bones will still have the marrow inside so will be "high fat".

Roo tails ,IMO, would be one of the leanest :D There is a pad of fat on the underside, between the skin and the muscle- but the bones themselves would be easy to 'defat' I just poke the spinal cord out with a thin skewer, and run under VERY hot water if necessary .

Edited by persephone

One of my girls had pancreatitis last year and is now on a very low fat diet (and also on a special renal diet now). I haven't been giving her bones but yesterday her visiting vet said to give low fat bones. He suggested I got marrow bones cut length ways and scooped the marrow out. A lot of butchers don't seem to like to cut them like this so I will have to find one who will. I also wonder if anyone can suggest what other sort of bones might be low in fat.

ETA I also have the issue; being Labradors both my dogs eat like it is their last ever meal so with bones I have to be careful what I give them as they will swallow things whole :crossfingers:

I get Chuck bones from my butcher for my fat dogs, they have no fat at all & take quite a while to chew!

ETA I also have the issue; being Labradors both my dogs eat like it is their last ever meal so with bones I have to be careful what I give them as they will swallow things whole :crossfingers:

I get Chuck bones from my butcher for my fat dogs, they have no fat at all & take quite a while to chew!

+2 for chuck bones for labs

Guest RosieFT

I was just looking at bones today in woolworths and they all looked so fatty I didn't get any - lots of thick, white fat on them. Anyhoo, I did notice they had the HUGE marrow bones and they were cut in half vertically already. They were just in plastic bags in with the dog food in cold storage.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a lab and I give him the beef soup bones from Woolies/Coles. I don't like the brisket bones as they are fatty plus he chews them up really quickly and then usually regurgitates them in unfortuante places.

They are a bit expensive but he can't actually "eat" the bone and they last him for ages so they are worth it :) He is usually out in the garden for over an hour with it (very clean by the time he has finished). Plus they are mostly beef, with very little visible fat.