Must Haves For Newbies

littlehoot

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm thats a hard one, shade is the biggest thing and some where safe to put your puppy! other than that you just seem to get more and more stuff each show I swear we have something new at everyshow and we have only been showing just over a year!

Shade (can just be a tarp for the dog crate if you don't mind a bit of sun), crate, chair for human, basic grooming gear (brush/shinespray- really depends on breed), a nice basic show lead, number holder, something yummy to use as bait, water bowl for dog, neat show outfit for handler.

And a sense of humour :( Something will probably go wrong, get forgotten, mess up or not go according to plan :eek:

like sammy we are collecting our gear still but

gazebo with walls for foul weather

comfy chair

trolley or crate

grooming box

nice lead

arm band for number

good company :(

our new stuff we cant live without LOL

silvershade

floor mat

REALLY confy chairs

like sammy we are collecting our gear still but

gazebo with walls for foul weather

comfy chair

trolley or crate

grooming box

nice lead

arm band for number

good company :o

our new stuff we cant live without LOL

silvershade

floor mat

REALLY confy chairs

Yep hard to find good company round these parts! :eek::(

Yes, I was going to say good friends too!

When did you get a floor mat, Bec??

A trolley is a good investment (depending on your breed) because you can always load it up with everything else you need to take to your site (including your gazebo, walls, chairs) and then put the dog on top or lead the dog! When you get everything else out, doggie goes inside while you set up! :(

Yes, I was going to say good friends too!

When did you get a floor mat, Bec??

A trolley is a good investment (depending on your breed) because you can always load it up with everything else you need to take to your site (including your gazebo, walls, chairs) and then put the dog on top or lead the dog! When you get everything else out, doggie goes inside while you set up! :(

Yep, I'd agree that a trolley is a MUST. Saves lugging everything by hand, you can just throw it in the trolley and wheel everything to the rings.

sammy thats just not nice LOL

got the floor mat at medowie and it makes SUCH a difference.

the kids were spread out on it and could go barefoot plus it didnt bunch up under foot or under trolley. Even rich conceeded it made a difference. we'll use it camping too!

Ok, well a gazebo is a must. Now do you have all solid walls or some mesh or some the silver mesh?

Also with a trolley, we only have one pug to show so is it worth it for one dog or do you get one that can be divided into two to save buying another later if you get another dog to show?

sammy thats just not nice LOL

got the floor mat at medowie and it makes SUCH a difference.

the kids were spread out on it and could go barefoot plus it didnt bunch up under foot or under trolley. Even rich conceeded it made a difference. we'll use it camping too!

:eek: You know I'm just joking...i love hanging out with you lot, really couldnt ask for a better group!

We need a trolley so bad, too bad the car blew up and drain my doggy account fairly heavily! :o

HEHE could of told you ages ago you needed a mat, they are so great for shows, i love our mat! :(

We have solid walls LH, need to invest in some silver mesh for next summer no point getting it now as we will be hitting winter soon enough!

Ok, well a gazebo is a must. Now do you have all solid walls or some mesh or some the silver mesh?

Also with a trolley, we only have one pug to show so is it worth it for one dog or do you get one that can be divided into two to save buying another later if you get another dog to show?

I didn't get a gazebo till I started taking more than one dog to show and I'm still reticent to pull it out unless I have to. Give me a good old umbrella any day, much easier.

As for the trolley, as I originally showed bearded collies I have a large single berth trolley but when I started showing Havanese I got myself a 4 berth trolley that I only use as one berth but have the necessary items to convert it to 2 or 4 bays...

LH

I have solid walls, mesh walls and a silvershade wall. We got the wall kits incredibly cheap - we put mesh walls on our gazebo for $30 all up brand new but the solid walls are great during yukky weather I show with my hubby and kids so having that 3x3 space for them is priceless!

As for the trolley I have a two berth with a removable divider so at the moment my Havanese has a large space to himself. We hope to be adding a second hav soon so at least we will be set up for that. The trolley without the divider fits our pup and my 4 yrs old together comfortably :(

bec

What we say to people is how keen do you think you are??

Is there a chance in 6 months showing may not be your thing??

depending on events shade is a must or protection from weather but how much you wish to spend at present can truly vary on how dedicated you plan to be.

A cheap beach umbrella can be handy until your happy with spending big.

Trolleys are a godsend BUT again not a must have item straight away

I love my trolley cause I can dump everything in it and push it to wherever I have to go.

Gazebo is also another godsend, I love mine. Make sure you get walls though, helps with the shade.

You also need a tough skin, cause people can be nasty.

I also second a Trolley and Gazebo!

Every other stuff I just brought as I go along, I brought a fishing tackle box for my show stuff for my dogs like leads and other stuff.

My trolley is divided into two, and I recently now have just expanded our team with a new edition, so we will take the divider incase the boys won't agree to sharing the trolley!

I have seen some with so much stuff it amazes me with how much some takes to the show, my advice is just keep everything to a minimal.

Only purchase/take things that you need and will use :crossfingers:! The less you have, the less effort you need to put in after a show packing up!

The only thing we ever have to deal with at home is folding the roof to the gazebo!

A crate for your dog that you can carry or wheel and bedding for your dog to sit on in the crate

A water bowl for your dog

A lead

A number holder, but a safety pin works just as well

Whatever you need to groom your dog and bait if you need bait.

Baby wipes and poo bags*

Sun protection

Money or food and drink for yourself - sometimes you can be waiting a long time and most show grounds don't have ATMs!

If you can, find a friendly soul who is happy to take you under their wing for the first show and give you a bit of space in their gazebo. That way you can watch them and the other exhibitors and see what you think you might need to buy. You'll also have someone who can explain the way the judging system works, tell you what ribbons to get if you place etc

*while the grounds should have poops scoops if you're toileting them a long way from the rings it's a drama to remember where the poo was, hike all the way up to the rings to get the scoop, and then hike all the way back to the poo, and then back again to the ring. Much easier to bag and bin it.

I have been lucky and have been able to set up with friends most of the time in their gazebo...

BUT - when I am on my own - Gazebo is too hard for just one person to put up (I tried - and whilst people will help you when you do look like an idiot trying on your own - I hate to ask...)

I have an umbrella if the weather looks fine (and not too windy) and an easy up tent (I have an oz-trail one, but the blackwolf ones are better). I love the tent. Lots of room. The actual tent itself, (without the fly really does take me one minute or less)

I took people's advice and got a show trolley - I picked up one second hand (for about $50). It was in really bad shape when I got it - very rickety and not stable at all - but a whole lot of rivets and new hinges fixed it really well. Love the trolley. Like people have said, load up with the junk when arriving, pen for the dog plus grooming table.

Don't forget the water bowl and chair for you.

(Plus whatever grooming stuff you need)

I also second a Trolley and Gazebo!

Every other stuff I just brought as I go along, I brought a fishing tackle box for my show stuff for my dogs like leads and other stuff.

My trolley is divided into two, and I recently now have just expanded our team with a new edition, so we will take the divider incase the boys won't agree to sharing the trolley!

I have seen some with so much stuff it amazes me with how much some takes to the show, my advice is just keep everything to a minimal.

Only purchase/take things that you need and will use ;)! The less you have, the less effort you need to put in after a show packing up!

The only thing we ever have to deal with at home is folding the roof to the gazebo!

:thumbsup::bottom::) :D :) ;) :( Remind to show you how to do it tomorrow. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)