Cheap Agilty Equipment

Tomorow besides Lab grooming I will be making a tyre jump. I would check the one on the website is regulation size, the poles look like they would snap so I would just be getting it for the hoop part.

How are you making your tyre jump? Is it something I could do myself?

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We have spare vacum hose pipe that I am going to duct tape in a circle. Then I am going to get two star pickets (metal fence posts) bang them apart the right distance and duct tape the hoop to them. :laugh:

I will get a proper one eventually but I need one asap.

Mine's made with an old bike tyre covered in tape stripes, then attached to a frame of PVC and hanging from a chain and attached at the sides so it's adjustable, it's very light and I don't peg it so if the dog did hit it (which mine never have) I doubt they'd get hurt.

I've seen some horrific videos of Tyre injuries :laugh: One where the dog got clotheslined on the top of it sticks in my mind.

I restrained (so far) from buying the tunnel. Think I might wait until we're at a stage we can work better before I start investing in too much equipment. But I'm excited at the possibility of getting weave bases made :laugh: Amy's brother rocks :)

:laugh: RubyStar I have been tossing up a tunnel for a while and not seen anything this good quality that closely resembles trial gear for the attached price tag. The normal kid tunnels aren't anywhere near as long or as good.

Cold / Flu? It's going around, I was sick last week.

We'll try and set it up tonight and take photos for Ness, I want to take photos of the 2x2 weave bases at the club too :laugh: That's going to look strange isn't it.

Cold / Flu? It's going around, I was sick last week.

We'll try and set it up tonight and take photos for Ness, I want to take photos of the 2x2 weave bases at the club too :) That's going to look strange isn't it.

Nah not the flu, I just got this tight feeling in my chest on the train and was finding it hard to breathe. It's getting better now but not good :rofl: Heart attack? :laugh:

What time do you usually get to agility on Tuesdays? I am going to try and get there about 6.15pm so I can set up the jump. But I find it weird doing obedience stuff as agility people rock up, I get weird looks. But the reason I do it is it is perfect distraction work for Ruby!

I picked up a tunnel the other day, size is great but it is different to everything else I have seen. Instead of being fully covered with the same fabric - the lower half is blue and the top half is mesh and clear plastic. It looks strong but the real test will be how long it lasts. Thought if nothing else it would be a good beginner tunnel.

When I first saw it they wanted $180, but he wasn't sure on price told them to forget it as I can get get one better and cheaper than that. He then said he would do me a favor and let me have it for $120 as I waited for about 15 mins for someone to call him back with the price of it. Told him no - can still get one better than that. Next day I went back in and asked a different person what the price on the tunnel was "today" - told her that the man yesterday had no idea. Still no price on the tunnel so she called someone - said it was $99, so told her no thanks. As I was leaving she asked me if I was really interested and I said yes but not at that price. She asked me what about $70 then. I told her I will think about it. Wondered around the shop for a few mins and thought by the time I add postage to the one from Air Dog I would still be looking at around $150 - even though this is not as good, at $70 it wasn't so bad, the fabric is strong but the mesh and plastic is what I was not sure about - but as a beginner it should be ok as it has air flow and can see through it.

Now I just need to remind my young Rottie bitch about all the fun she had with the tunnel when she was a baby.

Next project is to make some jumps..

Nah not the flu, I just got this tight feeling in my chest on the train and was finding it hard to breathe. It's getting better now but not good :rofl: Heart attack? :(

Heart attack! :mad

What time do you usually get to agility on Tuesdays? I am going to try and get there about 6.15pm so I can set up the jump. But I find it weird doing obedience stuff as agility people rock up, I get weird looks. But the reason I do it is it is perfect distraction work for Ruby!

Depends, I usually try to leave work at 5.30, race home, get the dogs, race to K9 and be there by 6.20 - 6.30 but more often than not someone will give me something to do at 5.25pm which HAS to be done that day even though they have known about it all day and they know Tuesday is the one day I have to leave on time - can you tell it annoys me :rofl: I'll try and escape early.

Don't worry about the weird looks, just do it! They'll probably wonder what your strange solid jump is since we don't use them in agility :)

They'll laugh at my strange solid jump and go "ermm, excuse me, you do realise your jump is made wrong?" :)

I was actually using it last night to try and get Millie to focus forward to the jump and quit looking at me. I think I am training the wrong dog in agility! Ruby needed me to rev her up at a distance so she could make it over the jump :( but at least I can send her over it from a distance!