Do You Have To Be Hard...

I'm certainly not tough, and I don't want to have to be tough to show dogs and do other things I enjoy doing. I feel that I can be realistic, competitive and well behaved without being tough. I think there is a difference too in coping with the normal competitive nature of showing, which will result in perceived criticism of your dog (unless you win all of the time), and coping with the 'extras' that currently come with showing such as rude comments by other exhibitors. I don't think you have to be tough to cope with the former, and I don't want to have to be tough to cope with the latter - I would prefer that it didn't happen :thumbsup:

What you prefer to happen and what does are different BMP. Competition brings out the best in some folk and the worst in others. If people cannot rationalise that without concluding that it's a conspiracy to drive them from the show ring (as a few do) then they probably won't last and they certainly won't enjoy it.

I think it takes stamina and resolve to stick at dog sports, especially when its not going well. That's what I mean when I say "tough".

I partly agree :cheer: . Are there not also people who, despite not winning a lot, keep coming simply because they enjoy the activity with their dogs (or because their dogs love it)? I have always assumed that there were - maybe I am wrong! I dont enter agility events to be competitive - I do it because my dogs love it (even the ones that just do zoomies though each tunnel twice then retire to the stewards hut :crossfingers: ), and I dont need stamina and resolve to keep coming back to something that gives my dogs so much enjoyment. Maybe the toughness got me to this stage though :crossfingers: as I do remember leaving a few lessons in tears over the years.

Edited to put quote tags in correct place

Edited by BittyMooPeeb

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I partly agree :rofl: . Are there not also people who, despite not winning a lot, keep coming simply because they enjoy the activity with their dogs (or because their dogs love it)? I have always assumed that there were - maybe I am wrong! I dont enter agility events to be competitive - I do it because my dogs love it (even the ones that just do zoomies though each tunnel twice then retire to the stewards hut :) ), and I dont need stamina and resolve to keep coming back to something that gives my dogs so much enjoyment. Maybe the toughness got me to this stage though :rofl: as I do remember leaving a few lessons in tears over the years.

Best I've heard of is someone (still competing) who trialed in agility for 10 years before achieving her first qually. That takes a certain kind of gritty determination. What it didn't take ( and never happened) was that person complaining about courses, judges and how the sport was stacked against her breed. I've heard plenty of that from people who've had more success than that person did initially.

And when her dogs qually, the cheer that goes up as as much about her sportsmanship as the dog getting round without taking bars.

We all gripe from time to time but some folk never seem to do anything else. :rofl:

I agree you have to be 'tough' to stick at it, especially in the dog showing (conformation) world. I have had a battle with different things over the years I have shown, but I have had to have resolve and stick with it and I do this because I really enjoy it and love to spend time with my dogs and some nice people at the shows. I could have given up many times if winning was the only reason I went to shows, however saying that I do go with the hope my dogs will do well, otherwise I could just join a group that loves getting together with their dogs socially. I love to get a win, but that is not my sole reason for going.

I also agree with others that talked about having a life other than showing. I think the more balanced people in the show circle are those that have other interests and don't put showing before family, friends and other interests. I love showing, but I fit it in with my other interests of family, church, work, and other hobbies I have.

I partly agree :) . Are there not also people who, despite not winning a lot, keep coming simply because they enjoy the activity with their dogs (or because their dogs love it)? I have always assumed that there were - maybe I am wrong! I dont enter agility events to be competitive - I do it because my dogs love it (even the ones that just do zoomies though each tunnel twice then retire to the stewards hut :laugh: ), and I dont need stamina and resolve to keep coming back to something that gives my dogs so much enjoyment. Maybe the toughness got me to this stage though :shrug: as I do remember leaving a few lessons in tears over the years.

Best I've heard of is someone (still competing) who trialed in agility for 10 years before achieving her first qually. That takes a certain kind of gritty determination. What it didn't take ( and never happened) was that person complaining about courses, judges and how the sport was stacked against her breed. I've heard plenty of that from people who've had more success than that person did initially.

And when her dogs qually, the cheer that goes up as as much about her sportsmanship as the dog getting round without taking bars.

We all gripe from time to time but some folk never seem to do anything else. ;)

Funniest thing I ever heard was a friend of mine Has GSD , Shelties and a Vallhund was telling me that this Sheltie she had (ANDY) who has since passed away, went to Flyball, did 2 jumps ran away and went back to the car everytime this happened, but guess what he got his Flyball title because it was a team sport :rofl:

My friend enjoys all aspects of the dog world doing conformation, agility, Obedience, Tracking and Herding, also fits in a private life with her family and friends and never takes any of it to seriously...........

:laugh: Everybody needs balance in their lives and showing dogs is no difference, to much of any one thing makes you a very boring person. IMO!!

I dont think you need to be hard... but a thick skin helps, lol :laugh:

you try not to let it get to you, never lower yourself to their level, always be polite, helpful if you can and good manners and good sportsmanship is a must.

the only thing that has ever really upset me was something that happened last year, a woman who wanted to get into showing, I helped her immensely went out of my way to find her a pup, taught her how to groom, etc,

then little by little she improved it was great to see,

but when she was beaten she was so nasty about it, blamed everyone else for her mistakes and losses, including teh judge, the weather, its too hot, too cold, too wet, , and also including me, and when

myself and friends tried to help her with handling etc, all of a sudden she knew it all, and we were abused for it.

she has a win at all costs attitude, and nothing is more imortant to her,

she was making nasty comments about my friends and people she had never met, running their dogs down, etc, this coming from a person who I doubt has ever read the breed standard, :laugh:

she has become rude and loud and abusive, around the ring and show,

and started to make nasty revolting comments about friends and people

whom over the years have helped me immensely, and I will always be very grateful for it.

but this woman really put me off ever trying to help a newbie ever again !

we go to shows to have fun and enjoy the company, win lose or draw its a great social day out away from work etc,

Edited by Libertybrook

the only thing that has ever really upset me was something that happened last year, a woman who wanted to get into showing, I helped her immensely went out of my way to find her a pup, taught her how to groom, etc,

then little by little she improved it was great to see,

but when she was beaten she was so nasty about it, blamed everyone else for her mistakes and losses, including teh judge, the weather, its too hot, too cold, too wet, , and also including me, and when

myself and friends tried to help her with handling etc, all of a sudden she knew it all, and we were abused for it.

I have done the exact same ,helped a number of newbies not in my breed (will add i have helped groom my opposition for many years) so it meant doing special trips only for these people to turn .

It has put me off being so generous now .

The one that stood out the most was when i was abused for not doing a good enough job with a baby who won baby in grp & i had just spend 3 hrs getting the knots out off. (the knots would have come out irrespective off being shown).

I currently help a number of people to groom & whilst they all try certainly some try more than others .

Some have made boo boos but those boo boos teach,others have stood watching for hrs but dont try .

I competed in obedience/agility & have to say i found them more intense than showing i also found them to be less considerate of those in the ring trialling with there actions outside .

As for obedience my 3 trial with my yank was an early am,it was 1 degree & the grass was frozen.

We entered the ring to start she healed & then headed for the club BBQ & sat underneath where it was warm & had no intentions off shifting,i remember that day so well & also remember the ones who saw the brightside & the ones who looked on with disgust like i was a time waster

OMG :laugh:

I cant believe that is the thanks you get in return. I know what it would mean to me to get a lesson in show grooming my boy from start to finish - especially feet and headfall. I would be forever gratefull and over the moon that someone had taken the time - for both of you to have had that is AWFUL :shrug: Its a shame that they spoil it for others. Honestly theres only so much you can get out of a book or off the net. My boy is a fantastic example of how reading how to trim feet can get lost in translation :rofl: But I try LOL

I have had many a ring side conversation that started with people I dont know coming up to me and saying "can I give you some advice.." and "dont be offended but you might want to try...." all have been HUGELY appreciated and while I havent taken every piece of advice I have been grateful that others have taken the time to try and help. I really just dont get it - why people would be offended when others try to help :laugh: I am a novice, I look like a novice, act like a novice and only time and experience will change that!

I see other new folk get very bent out of shape about not winning and they'll look for excuses in every direction except down the lead and in the mirror.

Also meant to say, this is certainly not just true of new folk.

The new person at least has the advantage that with the right intervention by the right people, they'll get a clue. Once kennel blindness sets in I think the problem is much harder to budge.

I must admit that the worst tanties I've seen ringside and following a show have been from experienced (showing for more than 10 years) exhibitors. Interestingly it always seems to be the same people having the tanty :laugh: so I've found it easy to take their tanties with a grain of salt.

On top of that I was lucky to start at the same time as an awesome group of newbies. These guys rock and make me feel a little less useless on days when I clearly am. We all have a laugh but we also cheer for each other!

That has been what has made it all so enjoyable for me. We all started within the same 12 month period and we get on well. We sit together, we help each out in the ring and we cheer like nobodies business when one of us wins :laugh: . I'm not a good handler but I keep trying to improve it. I started in a rare breed which makes it harder (though in some ways it makes it easier :shrug: ). I've chosen to believe that the dogs who win do so because they were the best dog on the day. If I choose to believe all the stuff I hear when people have a tanty then there would be absolutely no bloody point at all in me showing dogs. :rofl:

I've made up my mind. The next person who throws a tanty in front of me at a dog show is going to end up on YouTube.

I've got a nice new HTC HD 2 to capture the "magic moment". :eek::thumbsup:

That is an excellent idea :rofl:

showdog

As for obedience my 3 trial with my yank was an early am,it was 1 degree & the grass was frozen.

We entered the ring to start she healed & then headed for the club BBQ & sat underneath where it was warm & had no intentions off shifting,i remember that day so well & also remember the ones who saw the brightside & the ones who looked on with disgust like i was a time waster

Sorry, OT. You just made my day!! Falling about laughing! I trialled a stand. dacs - as you know, very wilfull and determined dogs. Sometimes mine was excellent - sometimes she did something very similar to the yank (probably worse!!) .... and I got the same reactions!!

Nothing changes!!

showdog

Sorry, OT. You just made my day!! Falling about laughing! I trialled a stand. dacs - as you know, very wilfull and determined dogs. Sometimes mine was excellent - sometimes she did something very similar to the yank (probably worse!!) .... and I got the same reactions!!

Nothing changes!!

At least yours didn't bugger off half way through a recall, visit friends outside the ring, come back sit and the finish herself :hug:

showdog

Nothing changes!!

i did agility with a std dach :hug: i wont tell you the drama's there.

My above dog was also a charity collector at the NBL matches & normally a good dog to trial but this one day was just fricken freezing LOL .Personally she should have passed for using her brain instead of being a follower

I've had one dog do a frosty obedience trial doing bows for downs and squats for sits.

Same dog did a perfect front in the recall in another trial .. to the judge standing not far from me. When given the "finish" he trotted neatly around the judge to sit at heel at my feet. :hug:

My OH's Afghan did something similar at an obedience trial. It was quite hot in the sun, so he picked himself up from the drop stay in the sun and went and dropped again in the shade. He was on a qualifying score and NQ'd but it's hard to fault his logic!!

:cry::):rofl:

Funnily enough, it does not remotely surprise me that an Afghan did that. People say they aren't intelligent, but I think that just proves that they are.

SBT - no, but one time she got on the scent of a hotdog, buggered off to ringside, and mobbed the spectators for some of it. Trial was over as far as she was concerned. Break for morning tea maybe?

General laughter all round - how mortifying!! And I was s tupid enough to continue to do it!!

Agility with a dacs sounds FAR worse than obedience, showdog :laugh:

...and I thought nothing could be worse!! :) silly me.

If I had some spare time I should have obedienced by ECS. She lives to please. When she was being shown, I taught her brother "sit". Next time I said "sit", they both sat, and she sticks like glue off lead. sometimes the dogs are wrong for the times!!

Edited by Jed

The dachie club here had there own agility equipment made up & there use to be 30/40 dachies turn up for training every week.

The most hilarious thing you had ever seen & we also did public demos at old folks homes & various events(the royal show).

Many who attended where also serious triallers but dachies being dachies you could only but laugh & we always got a great turnout of by standers & the likes because it was dogs being dogs.

Not one of us where ashamed our dogs where somewhat of a joke because in all reality it was the serious triallers that enjoyed it the most for the total fun aspects & the bobo.s.

There use to be a wire foxie that trialled here & in the down/stays would crawl all over the place,if the judges stood in front it just crawled over,around or in between,funniest thing out & you never saw daylight