Herding Instinct Test Kcc Park 27th & 28th March

Hi all, I am super keen to finally get to doing some herding with my Rottweiler bitch.

I may get along to the HIT mentioned in topic title to at least have a good look at what goes on (though I am trialing obedience that weekend also). It has been years since I spectated and I have absolutely no experience in doing herding whatsoever.

What I would love to know if anyone has any info for me please, is who is a good person that I can call to speak to regarding finding out what I need to know to enter a test or what is my first step to get into this sport. I have tried calling a lady whos name I was given (about a week ago) that has not phoned me back, and have just left a message with another. Naturally I may still hear back from these ladies.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

My girl is getting on, and there is every chance I won't get attempting a high level of herding with her, but it will at least give me experience for my next dog.

:thumbsup:

Thanks guys. Great info, and so quickly, you are all wonderful.

Yes, I was also aware that Rottis are now included on the allowed breeds list, and that is why I am wanting to do it. I have always wanted to and could never work out why Rottis were not included as they are originally a herding breed, so it is wonderful that they now are allowed.

Yes, I know Tallara. Am going down there on Thursday, so will grab the number or call in for a chat. Thank you.

Kate was one of the ladie's I rang. Hopefully she will call me back.

And thanks for letting me know that the venue is Nyora and not KCC. Can anyone tell me exactly where in Nyora please?

Edited... I just rang a left a message with Tallara also. May look at starting with a lesson there.

Please PM me if anyone thinks this may not be a great idea for a novice at herding.

Edited by dyzney

Starting with a lesson at Tallara would be a great idea IMHO. It will give you an idea of what to expect, and you will be able to get some advice on how to proceed.

Thanks Barb. Appreciate your advice. Sounds like a plan. Having absolutely no idea what to expect and what it involves, a private lesson is something I would love to do.

960 Mt Lyall Rd.

Might be an idea to join the vicherding group on yahoo groups. Schedules are available from there and will give locations for trials

Thank you for the address dogdayz. May or may not get there. 2days away from my business can be a bit tricky :thumbsup: , but will see how we go.

Will check out vicherding, thank you heaps.

I did check the list and Rotties still aren't on it?

The dog does need to have seen sheep prior to the instinct test. That is a rule.

Yes there is a clinic on the 20th. There is also a website. www.vicherding.com

The dog does need to have seen sheep prior to the instinct test. That is a rule.

Rotties have definitely been approved and I believe there is 1 with HT in WA. The rules themselves have not been reprinted so they may not appear there but instruction was given to each state body that the proposal to add them to the list of approved herding breeds was successful.

Rotties have definitely been approved and I believe there is 1 with HT in WA. The rules themselves have not been reprinted so they may not appear there but instruction was given to each state body that the proposal to add them to the list of approved herding breeds was successful.

We have one in NSW that has its PT I think ot maybe its HT and trains at PT?

Either way its a lovely working dog, though her owner does trial kelpies as well so has lots of experience.

Meant to say before that I was at Erskine Park doing some practice some years ago now, and saw a lovely Rottie pup working very nicely - wonder if that was the one that Janba's talking about - it certainly seemed to have all the makings. :thumbsup:

Hope it goes well Dyzney and if you see any collies give 'em a pat for me. The collies at Tallara are all related to my girl, I hope you have a fantastic time.

Hi Natsu chan, we have had a change in plans. I am now having a private lesson with Kate very soon, so I am very excited.

So sorry, won't be patting any of your girl's relatives this time. :rofl:

Thanks Jules. Unfortunately all these wonderful dates are clashing with trials I had pre booked, but there will be more. I will start with my lesson. Just get a feel for it, see if we like it, and perhaps then try and get to a work shop or group lesson or similar, so I can watch and see others working.

Thanks for all your help guys. The info has been great.

Edited by dyzney