Owning Multiple Entire Dogs Without Kenneling Arrangements?

mr.mister

Landlords are usually pretty good with outdoor pens.

Back in the old days when I was moving around a lot - from memory 20 moves in 24 years I had a dog pen and pavers.

I couldn't always rely on good fences and the dogs went into the pen during days they were in season or we wanted to play a game of cricket without them tripping us over or when we had kids parties etc .

Each time I moved it collapsed for cartage and went up again in the next rental and took the pavers up and bought them with me too.

We have two intact bitches and two intact dogs. We also have two spayed bitches and one neutered dog.

We play musical dogs when the two girls are in season. It's not that difficult as long as you know who goes where and are 100% aware whilst the girls are in season. Touch wood, we have never had an accidental breeding.

I do think it would be mean to crate them next to each other tho... very frustrating for both to be so near and yet so far :)
I also think crating next to each other would be awful, especially for the male.

Really??? I have always had my girl crated while we are inside, with one boy loose to lay next to her crate in his bed, and the other boy in a crate next to hers. I've always found everyone is far calmer and relaxed in that arrangement than if I have her elsewhere in a seperate room/yard where the boys can't be near her. I swear if they can't lay next to where she is they go nuts just being sure that she is being "got" by someone else. If they can be next to her they "sort-of" relax. It is only when she has her runs outside and they are inside apart from her that they go insane.

When I only had the one boy I had him loose and her crated. But that doesn't work when both are determined to lay the closest to her crate :hug:

I've tried seperate rooms / areas of the house, and it is usually a disaster and terribly stressful for all concerned (particularly me :( )

Of course, in your original scenario - it wouldn't matter if you did want to eventually mate the two together - you are not going to want to everytime :cry:

Edited by armahani

I've always found everyone is far calmer and relaxed in that arrangement than if I have her elsewhere in a seperate room/yard where the boys can't be near her. I swear if they can't lay next to where she is they go nuts just being sure that she is being "got" by someone else. If they can be next to her they "sort-of" relax.

This set up works for us as well. The boys are much calmer and happier if they are next to "the" girl. Although having two males can be a pain as they compete for the pretty girl, but it can be managed. We have two males and four females, all are entire. We have dog runs and multiple crates throughout the house and in the "dog room". Managing them all becomes second nature after a while and you do get use to it. The only problem that we may have is when we have one of our dogs that we bred come back for a stay and that happens to coincide when a girl/s is in season and that may upset the routine but we still manage it.

Having a dog and bitch only is easy to manage with a couple of crates and again easier with a dog run.

If you are renting a portable dog run is must as well as being useful for containing dogs whilst needing to do things in the yard.

I have friends who have two bitches and a dog, they send the dog to the boarding kennel whilst the girls are in, it works for them and gives them peace of mind that no accidents happen while they are at work.

Edited by Stolzseinrotts

When I lived in suburbia I played muscial dogs like most other people do.

One in, one out. Crates if I can't be there to directly supervise. Doors and walls between if and wherever possible.

However on rare occasions, a boy would be a howler and not being able to see the object of his affection made him even noisier so on those occasions, they were crated safely next to each other so that he can see and smell her and this helped the noise considerably but did sometimes make musical dogs a tad more hairy.

I had an oops in suburbia when my Stafford bitch went through a CLOSED laundry window to let herself out to the dog.

And of course, I had my recent oops out here in the country which was entirely my fault for not paying attention when I got home from a show one afternoon and letting myself get distracted. Up until that time, I was using my outdoor pen and the shed which has been partially converted with panels and shadecloth to keep them separated and so that the bitch could empty but not leave too much scent to drive the dog bananas and had managed to avoid an accident for almost 2 years.

We use a crate and indoor outdoor. 1 Dog and three bitches on heat :) just a couple of weeks ago

Dog in crate bitches free, then dog outside bitches in, then swap so its fair, night time dog with us in bedroom bitches downstairs. While we were at work we had dog in pen outside and bitches inside. Our boy is fantastic and only wants them for the three days or so then not interested at all

Had one oops mating last Christmas day, dog got out of bedroom whilst I was showering came out to find dog tied with my 8 year old bitch!! result was fantastic!! but its a mating I would never have done because of her age :rofl:

I've always found everyone is far calmer and relaxed in that arrangement than if I have her elsewhere in a seperate room/yard where the boys can't be near her. I swear if they can't lay next to where she is they go nuts just being sure that she is being "got" by someone else. If they can be next to her they "sort-of" relax.

This set up works for us as well. The boys are much calmer and happier if they are next to "the" girl.

Agree with these comments, being "next" to the girl makes for a much happier and relaxed boy

Musical dogs here too. But I do have 2 runs.

Where did you get your run, Wynnlake? And how big is it? Looks like a good one.

Cooee in Brisbane made it. The standard one is 2 small panels wide, by 2 large panels long, but I bought extra panels to give my dogs more space. I wouldnt buy another one from them unless it was going to be full time under cover. This ones pain peeled off easy and rusted. The hinges on the door rusted and broke off, as did the joiners. But it serves its purpose and is still strong.

Okay Alex

Truth now.... you keep asking questions of breeders operations.

Yet you keep saying that you dont have dogs and dont show and dont breed..... but you love throwing out these hypotheticals. Looking at your profile all it says you are a crazy border collie lady who lives in bendigo.......

What's the actual buzz here..... u conducting research for some study or just a bit of a loon....... :shrug:

Edited by alpha bet

My situation:

I own no dogs, but am currently being mentored by two breeders and will hopefully have my first show pup near the end of the year. I'm always full of questions about everything and as I don't always like bombarding my mentors with emails (though I already do lol), so I post on here. Hope that is okay. :)

A number of people in breeds where there isn't a major issue with same sex aggression just pick one sex for their companions. Ie, only boys or only girls.

Which one doesn't seem to matter, some find entire dogs more annoying than entire bitches and vice versa, also depends a bit if you are planning just to show (dogs) or will be pursuing a breeding program (bitches).

I have 4 male stud dogs and no kennels plus 5 girls! My two younger boys run together and despite being sexually active, they get along fine. Food is the only thing they will squabble over. The other boys are older and one is an Import (arrived at 6 years old) and while they will walk together on lead I would never run them together.

I bought (on ebay) two fantastic big strong pens which I have set up indoors. I rotate the boys (the two 18 month olds, older Import and older home bred boy) into a 1/2 acre day garden/lawn area which is dog & snake proof. Works really well and they are superfit, happy and never feel like they are locked away. Keeps them much quieter and they have not learned some of the ugly kennel habits.

When they are penned they can watch me doing my daily whatever and are very relaxed. If I have their gates open they usually put themselves away for sleep.

To be honest - the boys are great, it is the girls that I have to be very careful with!