Pet Shops Who Sell Rescue Dogs, Hmmm, Wtf?

Eileen

So I just did the MDBA award questionnaire that was emailed to me and there was a section about possibly adding pet shops who sell rescue dogs to the pet shop section of the awards.

I did not know there were such pet shops and am confused, as I thought pet shops and rescue were diametrically opposed.

DO the dogs actually live in the pet shops?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eileen - you are right, pet shops and rescue are generally opposed to each other. Pet shops will deny that they are a huge part of the dumped dog problem but you only have to frequent the pounds (as I do) to spot dogs that have been purchased from pet shops. The same dogs can also be found being rehomed in free to good home ads as so many are purchased on a whim. Of course there are some good homes out there but we need the country to become far more enlightened as to where the puppies in pet shops come from.

Pet shops that refuse to take puppies from back yard breeders are a big start as are those that don't sell any live animals at all. I don't think the rescue dogs would be living there - as a rescuer/foster carer I wouldn't find that acceptable. They are probably dropped off and collected later or just advertised there.

We all need to oppose pet shops selling live animals, anyone with a moral compass should.

If you have any doubts, please Google "puppy farms" and see what you find. That is the ugly truth.

Edited by dogmad

See the initiative by the AWL QLD and their External Rehoming Centres -

http://www.awlqld.com.au/Adopt-a-Pet.html#ExternalRC

Several years ago the AWL Qld was approached by a pet supply outlet wishing to rehome our cats and dogs from their shop. This was quickly followed by another independent wanting to assist with the crushing numbers of cats and kittens the AWL has to deal with every year.

Now, in 2009, there are seven outlets on the Gold Coast and two in Brisbane that are rehoming on our behalf. These outlets do not sell or obtain cats/kittens from other sources and all monies obtained from the rehoming of these animals comes directly back to the AWL. Although predominantly cats and kittens are rehomed, one Gold Coast outlet and both Brisbane ones also rehome dogs on our behalf.

This programme is extremely important for many reasons:

First, and foremost, it makes our animals available to a wider circle of people looking for new family members

It allows the AWL extra space for other animals waiting to come through and, therefore, helps us keep our euthanizing numbers at a lower level than they would otherwise be

It gives us the ability to rehome animals that may not get on well with others but would, never the less, make a wonderful companion

It also assists us to get the word out there that all animals should be desexed and microchipped before rehoming

There is a pet shop at Chadstome shopping centre (not PP) who had a rescue dog for sale last itme we were there. A cute little 2 yo black curly oodledoodle. He was in a big run, had plenty of space and was having a blast interacting with the people shopping there. They don't sell puppies, apparently just rescue dogs, one at a time. Hopefully to well-screened homes.

Whilst most of the animals in pet shops come from puppy farms, not all do. Some are actually rescue kittens and puppies that have been handed in to vets, nursed into health and then placed with the pet shops to rehome. It's not ideal but if these all went to the pound or RSPCA they would be pts.

There are a couple around these days that are associated with different shelters.

The shelters send out some of their cats and dogs for rehoming and all the proceeds go back to the shelters.

Not sure if I allowed to write who they are (forum rules?) but there are definitely some around.

I guess it is a big step closer to not selling animals at all.. that would be fantastic if they wouldn't.. :cry:

It is true, puppy farms are NOT the only supplier to petshops. We have ma and pa backyard breeders attempting to make a quick buck by breeding their dogs, often crossbreeds with other crossbreeds, purchased from the petshop ....

What happens to the puppies that come out funny looking? What happens to the puppies that don't get sold before their sell by date, even when the petshop has kept knocking the price down?? Best not to know?

Edited by dogmad

Pets at Home in Victoria have an affiliation with Lort Smith and have rescue dogs and cats for adoption.

And it is a great idea - getting more rescue dogs into good homes. As long as they are genuine rescues and the homes are screened, why not?

I think if done responsibly it's definitely a step in the right direction. By responsibly I mean the animals being desexed and the potential new owners being checked, as well as maybe some anti puppy farm / BYB info on display in the pet shop.

A lot of people don't know any better and think pets come from pet shops, so if they rock up to one with some older dogs there (and the stories of how they got there "surrendered for x pathetic reason", "found wandering no chip or tags" etc) and info on the plight of the poor pups who usually wind up in pet shops on offer it might help open some eyes!

Pets at Home in Victoria have an affiliation with Lort Smith and have rescue dogs and cats for adoption.

And it is a great idea - getting more rescue dogs into good homes. As long as they are genuine rescues and the homes are screened, why not?

Pets at Home have a pin board up with what Lort Smith have on offer and people have to refer to Lort Smith if interested, they don't have the animals at the store.

Far rather give rescue a chance. Pet shops sell pups - acquired from God knows where - with no onus to desex, no vet or owner checks ... far better to give rescue an outlet for perfectly good dogs which are otherwise just more corpses on a giant pile. Sigh! At least rescue is coming from somewhere other than $ motivation, and though I would never support a pet shop selling animals, I would whole-heatedly back one that is giving animal cast-offs/retreads/rejects/orphans a chance.

I guess my largest concern with rescue pets in petstores is it still is the impulse buy thing, people see them, fall in love and then want them, regardless of whether they are ready for them. And when someones there with their heart set on a dog, it's alot harder to turn them away then if they are on the phone or have just seen photos or whatever. I'd still be worried the workers wouldn't have the time and resources to screen adoptees properly.

What happens to the puppies that come out funny looking? What happens to the puppies that don't get sold before their sell by date, even when the petshop has kept knocking the price down?? Best not to know?

They get disposed of, or sold sooooo cheap that any random can buy them with their latest paycheque. Infact that's one of the things that concerns me to most, when they mark the dogs down to next to nothing and put the sale signs up in their windows, they make them more affordable to passersby which can be even worse then the thousand dollar price tags because people can just impulse buy even easier...

But what about the ones who don't go even at the cheapest price? My Penelope is one of them...

She's an oodle, a Foxidoodle to be exact (yea what the hell???). From puppy farm to pet shop at 6 weeks. Sat in pet shop window for 6 months and at nearly 8 months was so damaged that I, as a sucker of a vet nurse, took her to try and rehabilitate and rehome. She was a mess, the act of clipping her toe nails sent her into convulsions and screaming, she knew only that you pee in your bed and kept going into my bedroom to pee, grass was so scary to her, she screamed when she hit the grass, and every time I held her she wrapped her arms around my neck and clung to me. She's been with me over two years now and just last week we finally mastered toilet training! It's been two whole years of having pee-mats next to my bed, and last week she figured it out, that we pee OUTSIDE and she is soooo excited everytime she get's it right...

But yeah, they were "getting rid of her" and I took her... As a foster. Short term. But Penelope had other plans and at the time I took her to foster and rehabilitate her, it was one of my lowest points of my life and Penelope rehabilitated ME! She's now my sweetheart and comes to work at the vet clinic and sits on the chair at reception and every time someone asks "what is she?" it opens the oppurtunity for me to say "She's a DESIGNER DOG..." and then we tell them about where puppies really come from and what Penelope went through and still goes through after having that start to life.

But I love her. We designer her up with bling, bows and leopard print just cos it's as ridiculous as her designer name... But I adore her. She rescued me for sure, not the other way around. And together we will advocate against designer dogs! Go team :hug:

Sorry to share photos, but I like for people to see that THIS IS what a designer dog looks like. This is one of the ones who didn't turn out quite right and was one of the true victims of the designer trend!!!

penny.jpg

penny3.jpg

penny4.jpg

penny2.jpg

I guess my largest concern with rescue pets in petstores is it still is the impulse buy thing, people see them, fall in love and then want them, regardless of whether they are ready for them. And when someones there with their heart set on a dog, it's alot harder to turn them away then if they are on the phone or have just seen photos or whatever. I'd still be worried the workers wouldn't have the time and resources to screen adoptees properly.

My understanding is the potential home stills goes through the same screening process as if they were adopting from the shelter.

Heya, I work at PETStock and we're in the middle of starting up a program like this.

Our idea is to have the animals in store once a month. The animals will be 'supplied' by rescue groups who will bring them in for the day (one volunteer for each dog) and people who come in can meet the animals and talk to the rescue groups about puppy farming, why we don't sell pups and kittens and get to know the rescue babies. The animals are definitely not allowed to just walk out of the store as an impulse buy! Potential owners are screened just as they would normally be. The animals go home at the end of the day and are fed, toileted and led to a quiet area for a rest as needed. Only desexed, vaccinated and microchipped dogs will be allowed in the store to interact with the public.

I plan to have information available on the day for purebreed rescue as well as groups that spring any potentials from the pound. If just one person walks in and leaves more knowledgeable, we've made a difference.

Here is my concern - for the awards

This year we had a couple of nominations we didnt accept because the criteria was that they couldnt sell live animals.So regardless of whether they only sell live rescue animals or not as it stands we couldnt accept that nomination.

But we found a couple of issues as well as that which have us still unsure of what we should do.

Understand that this year we had well over 250 nominations and its not possible or even desireable that we look into every one as far as their practices are concerned.

So I rang one and they said they sell rescue dogs but as the conversation progressed it turned out they didnt just sell rescue dogs - they also sold puppies they sourced from their "specially screened pet breeders"

Another was very proud of how the dogs came in with compehensive notes so the buyer knew what they were getting but as long as the buyer was O.K. with taking it on the dog went home with them. There was no screening and saying the buyer is screened as they are with the shelter isnt that posh because we already know some pounds and shelters dont screen at all and in fact some even sell to the highest bidder.Of the three I spoke with 2 kept the animals in the shop until it was sold or 4 weeks when it was returned to the shelter which ever came soonest.

We cant rely on the person nominating to follow the criteria as this time 2 retail outlets I rang to inform them they hd been nominated were selling live animals.Now before I say "you have been nominated" I say "do you sell live animals?"

O.K. thats easy - if they do then we cant accept the nomination but when they do and its rescue dogs it gives us a whole new set of what if's.

So Im thinking maybe if someone or some group is doing the right thing by rescue dogs that we should take nominations for their work in rescue and not for their work as a retail outlet but its clear which ever way we go on this some people are not going to agree.

I would also like to say for me personally that since I attended the seminar at Monash Uni and heard what we did from Kate Scoffeld that I am even more sure than ever that Im not prepared in any way shape or form to give any sort of perception out to the public that selling puppies in pet shops is a good thing.For me even though I get why selling rescue dogs in pets shops is a good thing it still feels like Im telling the public that pet shops sales are O.K. I think - Its only a small jump for public perception from buying a dog in a pet shop is O.K. as long as it comes from a rescue org to buying puppies in pet shops is O.K. as long as they come from a puppy farmer who is registered with Kate's new commercial breeders group or even that its O.K. to buy puppies in pet shops if they come from registered breeders.

According to the survey so far most people 84% dont want to see us allowing the exemption.