Minie Mouse Dies In Gold Coast Dog Fight.

tybrax

THEY tried everything but there was nothing anyone could do to save Mini Mouse.

The two-year-old lhasa-apso-maltese-cross died yesterday after she was she was mauled by a mastiff-cross in Highland Park on Monday.

The unregistered mastiff jumped over its 1.8m fence and 'ripped apart' Mini as she was being taken for a walk along Quigan Terrace about 5pm.

"It was horrendous, you could see her stomach and all her arteries," said her owner, Jennifer Carroll.

Mini was rushed to the local vet and underwent surgery for her horrific injuries and began to improve while hooked up to a 'doggy drip'.

Have your say on the feedback form below

She was set to be released yesterday afternoon but suffered complications as infection took hold and died.

Jennifer's husband John Carroll said it was like losing a family member.

"She's going to be badly missed around here. She slept on our bed every night," he said.

The mastiff was caught after the attack and is being held at the council pound as its investigates the matter.

"Animal management staff are currently finalising their investigations into the incident and their findings will determine how the council proceeds in this matter," said a council spokesman.

Your Say

"Its not about banning vicious dogs CarlT, Any dog can be vicious, its about socializng the dog with other other dogs and people and providing it with excercise and training to avoid this type of problem, The dog relies on the owners for everything and in any situation similair to this the owner should be punished as they have failed as a responsible dog owner and aswell as that given a bad name for the rest of large breed dog owners. "

Mike

The spokesman refused to reveal what penalties the owners could face, saying it would hinder their investigation by possibly scaring them away.

The Carrolls said they wanted to see the mastiff's owners brought to justice.

Mr Carroll is calling on the State Government to introduce tougher laws that would see dog owners accountable for their animals' actions.

He said dogs such as mastiffs could be lethal weapons and needed to be treated as such.

"They need to tighten up the laws and people need to be responsible for their animals," he said.

Mr Carroll said it took two men and a garden hose to pry the mastiff off Mini during the attack.

"It was like a horror movie where you see something get brutalised," he said.

"But it was was real life and there were kids watching."

Andrew Howe, who helped Mr Carroll rescue Mini from the mastiff, was also bitten by the dog and has had to take time off work.

The Bulletin visited the home where the mastiff was believed to be from to speak with its owners yesterday but no one answered the door.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2010/0...coast-news.html

tybrax

Dogs such as mastiffs can be lethal weapons.

How about an article I read today about a police dog stabbed repeatedly in a domestic dispute just a few hundred metres from my house, a few months ago. Humans can be lethal weapons.

I've been through this. The mastiff should be put down immediatedly. The mastiff's owner's should be made to pay all vet costs and be fined for the suffering caused.

AND they should be made to watch the mastiff being pts. I hate these stories.

RIP minnie, tradgic. I dont know how I would react if my dog was torn to shreds.

I do, I would sue the owner for damages, and a lot of them

Maybe if people start thinking that they could be held financially responsible, then they might start taking dog ownership more seriously

Although, a mastiff jumping a 1.8m fence? I find that hard to believe, my DDB is so front heavy he would be hard pressed to jump a baby gate!!!

Although, a mastiff jumping a 1.8m fence? I find that hard to believe, my DDB is so front heavy he would be hard pressed to jump a baby gate!!!

It's not actually a Mastiff of course - it will be some random crossbred brindle dog. Big ones are Mastiffs and smaller ones are staffy crosses ;)

Poor Minnie Mouse :laugh:

How utterly tragic. Two dogs will die because of the owners attitude. People should be made accountable for the actions of their dogs. Unfortunately governments and their animal hating supporters will use such tragedies to attack dog owners in general. And as usual we will stand idly by and allow them to do so.

Edited by justin19801

Poor little thing - tragic for her and her owners

I'm with winterpaws - i would definitely sue the owners and would not rest until justice was served.

It would not bring Minnie back , but maybe it would make them recognise their responsibility .

It's not actually a Mastiff of course - it will be some random crossbred brindle dog. Big ones are Mastiffs and smaller ones are staffy crosses :)

Poor Minnie Mouse :laugh:

I agree - I wish the media had some responsibility to report these stories accurately, now all mastiffs get tarred by the same brush, when the dog probably wasnt any thing close to.

The owners should definitely be held responsible, although there are two sides to every story so I guess we have to be careful judging before we know the entire picture.

In the end, terribly sad for the owners of the little dog...

, although there are two sides to every story so I guess we have to be careful judging before we know the entire picture.

Yes, there was a similar incident in NZ a few years ago now. A Bullmastiff was being walked on leash on the footpath and a Min Poodle jumped it's fence and attacked the Bullmastiff - and paid the obvious price for it's foolishness. Of course it became a witch hunt against vicious and dangerous Bullmastiffs.

(All breed names have been changed by the media to protect the guilty) :cool:

Sandra777, I could understand the humour if I didn't continually hear about people's dogs being ripped apart or seriously injured by DA dogs.

As the owner of small dogs, only last night I was faced with 3 massive staffies/staffy crosses that the owner just let out of the back of his van at our local park. No leads, no control. He saw me and my potentially killer leashed 4.5 and 5 kilo dogs (no they are not white fluffies or chihuahuas) but let his dogs go anyway.

I panicked, with plenty of knowledge about these sorts of situations, I just grabbed and threw my dogs in my nearby car. Lucky.

Only in last week's paper did we have the story of the idiot who took his son's staffy to a local off leash park only to have it rip a shihtzu apart. Cost $7000 in vet's bills - the shihtzu still died - which the person paid but personally, I'd be suing his arse off. It would ruin my life to have that happen to one of my dogs and I do not believe in letting dogs that perpetuate these vile acts get away with it, nor their moronic owners.

Edited by dogmad

I have to agree with these posts... one day someone will take responsibility, and only when they start to have to have financial drawbacks from their stupidity.

I'd make sure I ruined the life of the idiot who thought it good to let their dog ruin mine.

Sandra777, I could understand the humour if I didn't continually hear about people's dogs being ripped apart or seriously injured by DA dogs.

As the owner of small dogs, only last night I was faced with 3 massive staffies/staffy crosses that the owner just let out of the back of his van at our local park. No leads, no control. He saw me and my potentially killer leashed 4.5 and 5 kilo dogs (no they are not white fluffies or chihuahuas) but let his dogs go anyway.

I panicked, with plenty of knowledge about these sorts of situations, I just grabbed and threw my dogs in my nearby car. Lucky.

Only in last week's paper did we have the story of the idiot who took his son's staffy to a local off leash park only to have it rip a shihtzu apart. Cost $7000 in vet's bills - the shihtzu still died - which the person paid but personally, I'd be suing his arse off. It would ruin my life to have that happen to one of my dogs and I do not believe in letting dogs that perpetuate these vile acts get away with it, nor their moronic owners.

Unfortunately there are some on this board who would blame your dogs if they had barked at the staffy/staffy crosses and subsequently been attacked.

BTW, I'm sitting here on a lovely Sunday morning trying to think of a place where I can take my dogs for a walk where they will be safe from being charged at by unleashed dogs. Damned if I can think of such a place ...

Such a horrible thing to have happen. Poor Mini. And I really feel for the kids who saw it happen. The truly scary thing is the dog could have gone for the kids instead.

But what has really struck me, in this case and in other recent stories about similar incidents, is how much more common sense people are demonstrating in the comments section of stories. I'm seeing a lot less "those dogs should be banned" and a lot more "those owners are responsible". Or is it just me seeing this? Maybe there's hope for us yet.

Edited by iffykharma

Unfortunately there are some on this board who would blame your dogs if they had barked at the staffy/staffy crosses and subsequently been attacked.

Really? Would love to see those posts or know which posters would agree a dog should be mauled to death for barking at another dog. Of course, there is a difference between a friendly playful bark and an aggressive, 'I'm ready for a fight' bark.

Any dog is capable of aggression, I wish owners would take more responsibility for DA dogs. Often they are in total denial about their dog's problem, and put it in a position where it is able to attack other dogs.

You also see a lot of owners who have no idea how to read doggy body language. I have lost count of how many dominant, pushy trouble makers have "just been saying hello" according to their owner. Even the owners of the dog who attacked Daisy a few days ago tried to say after the attack that their dog wasn't aggressive - what further proof do they need??

Edited by huski

Really? Would love to see those posts or know which posters would agree a dog should be mauled to death for barking at another dog. Of course, there is a difference between a friendly playful bark and an aggressive, 'I'm ready for a fight' bark.

Any dog is capable of aggression, I wish owners would take more responsibility for DA dogs. Often they are in total denial about their dog's problem, and put it in a position where it is able to attack other dogs.

You also see a lot of owners who have no idea how to read doggy body language. I have lost count of how many dominant, pushy trouble makers have "just been saying hello" according to their owner. Even the owners of the dog who attacked Daisy a few days ago tried to say after the attack that their dog wasn't aggressive - what further proof do they need??

I agree with the comment that a lot of dog owners do not know how to read a dog. My dog was attacked ( not seriously) outside a dog park. I had him on lead waiting for the people to leave the park, we were standing about 10 metres from the gate ( their dogs were on lead) and once they were out her dog pulled the lead away from her, came over and went for my dog. After I finished kicking it to get it off us she asked me " does your dog have problems with other dogs ???" WTF !!!!!!! My husband was with me and the look on his face was priceless, he said he had never heard such a ridiculous remark in the light of what had happened. Can being able to read dog behaviour be taught, or is it something that you an instinct for ? What are the thoughts of other doler's ??

So sorry dogmad the humor related to the media naming and blaming breeds (be they Mastiffs, Chihuahuas or whatever).

I walk my Staffords and have to be constantly on guard for them being attacked by unleashed dogs - don't assume for a second that it is solely a problem faced by owners of "small" breeds.

If my dog is attacked it may have a better chance of surviving but goD save us if surviving is the criteria we are using to decide if an attack is serious or not.

Edited by Sandra777