My Husbands View On A Show Dog..

Asalei

I updated my status last night that I was very impressed and excited about picking up our new show trolley (thanks fit for a king for the recommendation!). After looking at our bank balance, I'm not SO excited now :)

My husband replied to my status with:

“I’ve learned that a show dog is not a sound financial investment, given that our return on a gazebo, roof racks, show trolley, crate, grooming products and the dog itself has so far been a vegetable steamer ($RRP 20.00), a white platter and some hand towels. Lucky she’s cute!”

I pissed myself laughing. I told him he was lucky we even won that! Being new to showing, winning baby in show was a huge shock to me!

I wonder what he'd be thinking if we hadn't won the food steamer, white platter and hand towels? :(

Given that I have just bought a dog trailer and a trolley and paid entries and all the normal stuff I can still honestly say that Joe has spent more on his car than I have on dog shows. :( While that remains true I will be fine. :)

I updated my status last night that I was very impressed and excited about picking up our new show trolley (thanks fit for a king for the recommendation!). After looking at our bank balance, I'm not SO excited now :(

“I’ve learned that a show dog is not a sound financial investment, given that our return on a gazebo, roof racks, show trolley, crate, grooming products and the dog itself has so far been a vegetable steamer ($RRP 20.00), a white platter and some hand towels. Lucky she’s cute!”

I pissed myself laughing. I told him he was lucky we even won that! Being new to showing, winning baby in show was a huge shock to me!

I wonder what he'd be thinking if we hadn't won the food steamer, white platter and hand towels? :(

Oh ~Erin~ what a hoot. :):o:):) ;) :mad

OH is always whinging at BBJ and I. He should be happy that am not at home nagging him to do things each weekend. :rofl: :D ;)

I've been very lucky that my husband has come to the shows without whinging and sets up the gazebo without me asking. He sits there all day and gets excited when it's Abby's turn in the ring.

I have to remember not to get frustrated with him when he's not doing something correctly. With the new show trolley it should be a whole lot easier now!

Lets see how he goes after two full days of dog shows in Sydney and 24hrs worth of driving! I think I may be doing shows after that alone!

My husband does not do dog shows, lol, :cry: he couldnt sit still that long :confused:

instead of the "are we there yet?.... it would be when can we go home??? :cry:

he is the most amazing supporter, and knows how much all this means to me, he loves the dogs to bits,

and has built my brick dog runs, with cement floors etc, and is building me a grooming room soon,

and is very interested in how the dogs go at the shows,

but what I have spent on dogs wouldnt come close to how much he is going to spend on his new car later in the year :cry:

Edited by Libertybrook

That is very funny Erin :confused: My OH's usual reply is "I don't want to know" when it come's to the costs of the dogs.

Showing has taken a back seat these days due to two young kids and an at least 480km one way trip for a country show, however he used to shudder and definately not want to know back then.

I've been very lucky that my husband has come to the shows without whinging and sets up the gazebo without me asking. He sits there all day and gets excited when it's Abby's turn in the ring.

I have to remember not to get frustrated with him when he's not doing something correctly. With the new show trolley it should be a whole lot easier now!

Lets see how he goes after two full days of dog shows in Sydney and 24hrs worth of driving! I think I may be doing shows after that alone!

You are one very lucky and very blessed woman !!! Where can I find a man like that !! :confused:

I updated my status last night that I was very impressed and excited about picking up our new show trolley (thanks fit for a king for the recommendation!). After looking at our bank balance, I'm not SO excited now :laugh:

I wonder what he'd be thinking if we hadn't won the food steamer, white platter and hand towels? :laugh:

haha that's gold

I updated my status last night that I was very impressed and excited about picking up our new show trolley (thanks fit for a king for the recommendation!). After looking at our bank balance, I'm not SO excited now :o

"I've learned that a show dog is not a sound financial investment, given that our return on a gazebo, roof racks, show trolley, crate, grooming products and the dog itself has so far been a vegetable steamer ($RRP 20.00), a white platter and some hand towels. Lucky she's cute!"

I wonder what he'd be thinking if we hadn't won the food steamer, white platter and hand towels? :laugh:

~Erin~, my OH was exactly the same! After a few months of buying gazebos, trolleys. grooming equipment etc, he asked "so when do you start to make the money back" :D . Oh dears :laugh:

Erin, my OH said to tell your OH that the expenses are worth it as one day, he'll appreciate that your weekends are taken up with dog shows so he can do far more interesting stuff like buying a boat and fishing all weekend (Me: :()... plus it will be easier to justify the cost involved with a boat in the future if he's generous now :shrug:

:(:o:rofl:

I don't want to tell him that, he'll stop coming to shows with me! haha. I love him coming with me and being with our girls. I do love him very much for his humour. He makes me laugh a lot.

He's got his phone and a mobile internet, so he's fine! We are taking my laptop and mobile internet (reason we got it) to Sydney for the beagle specialties. So he'll be happy. But I'm hoping he'll scare photography duties of the show.

Edited by ~Erin~

What a terrific thread - lots of fun and I laughed myself silly. Well done to put something so light-hearted up. Enough doom and gloom everywhere these days.

When I met my new Partner one of the first things I asked him was how he felt about dogs. Thought it best to sort the issue early as the dogs are going nowhere! I never could have imagined his answer - his mother showed dogs his entire childhood so (to quote) "I get it".

As a result, he does not want to go to shows but happy to support me doing so. Bought me a brand new Ford Ute to tow the dog trailer, looks after the others when I am away and will do everything except whelp a bitch! I come home to the housework done and even the pooper scooping completed.

I reckon he's a keeper!

Cheers

Gaela

What a terrific thread - lots of fun and I laughed myself silly. Well done to put something so light-hearted up. Enough doom and gloom everywhere these days.

When I met my new Partner one of the first things I asked him was how he felt about dogs. Thought it best to sort the issue early as the dogs are going nowhere! I never could have imagined his answer - his mother showed dogs his entire childhood so (to quote) "I get it".

As a result, he does not want to go to shows but happy to support me doing so. Bought me a brand new Ford Ute to tow the dog trailer, looks after the others when I am away and will do everything except whelp a bitch! I come home to the housework done and even the pooper scooping completed.

I reckon he's a keeper!

Cheers

Gaela

I have one of these!! :rainbowbridge: My OH grew up a 'dog show brat' and has almost zero interest in attending shows nowadays although he's happy to support me in my hobby... he looks after the kids while I'm at shows, manages all the dogs at home (we have boarding kennels as well as our own dogs) and is pretty awesome in my humble opinion :cry:. Whilst he's not into dog shows, he is however very supportive of the dog world and is on a few of our controlling body's sub-committees.

In return I indulge his passion for motorbikes, and more recently, boats :hug::hug: - it works for us!!! :cry:

My OH loves dogs & all critters, he's NOT into showing though, and I banned him after he attended two shows with me and made...ahem.....obvious but innapropriate comments on dogs !!!

He's happy to stay home and look after the menagerie while I scoot off to dog shows.

He still finds it hard to believe that I would spend heaps in fuel, camping fees, ect...for a ribbon or a bit of cardboard (challenge certs !!) and he is positivley in shock at the amount dog or horse people will spend on equipment, importing, ect....

If we have a win he's very supportive of my excitement, its just not his thing !

I, on the other hand find it difficult to be enthused about a new mother board, ipad thingy or anything remotely geeky !!! but like pointexter, I smile and indulge his passion :-))