Tips And Tricks For Giving Dogs Their Medication

Pepi

Pepi used to be really easy to give tablets in his food but as he has been on meds for almost 2 years now he has learnt to chew through everything to ensure it's tablet free and if it's not he will either leave the food or spit out the tablet (even really small pieces) and then eat all the food lol

I do sometimes crush them in milk or weetbix and this does work from time to time but it does fail. We've even melted chocolate (doggy ones) and put the tablets in that and waited for it to harden and then gave them to him, that worked for a while but then he refused that as well. Ice cream was a good one but yet again failed. We've tried cheese, sausages, chicken skin, you name it we've done it and they've all worked but just not for long lol

For some reason he doesnt like having his mouth opened, and it seems to stress him out a lot and he can get a little snappy to let you know he doesnt like it.

Our old vets advised us to use a pill popper and handle him with a towel and sort of tease his mouth open a little with the end of the pill popper and when he opens to push the tablets into his mouth. This hasnt worked well at all for us in the past and was wondering if anyone had any other tips, tricks and ideas to help me out?

I don't stuff around with hiding meds in foods. It takes two seconds to open a dogs mouth and pop a pill down their throat. Then give them a treat when you're done.

ETA: I wouldn't stand for any snappyness either, it's just not on.

Open his mouth a little and pop a small piece of cheese or something that he likes on his tongue. Open his mouth a bit wider each time you do it. Once you can open it wide enough, pop his meds in and then give him a treat.

You need to be able to do this, incase there is a day when he's not eating.

Edited by SBT123

Yes I shove it down and then treat. The funny thing is when I was a kid I got carsick A LOT!! I couldn't get the knack for swallowing the tablets to stop the carsickness so Mum used to crush them and put them in peanut butter or honey :laugh:

Place the pill @ the back of his throat ,Push it down ,close mouth with hand around muzzle & rub his throat.

Maybe get the vet or vet nurse to show you how it's done when you pick Pepe up :)

Give the little guy a :laugh: from us :mad

Place the pill @ the back of his throat ,Push it down ,close mouth with hand around muzzle & rub his throat.

Maybe get the vet or vet nurse to show you how it's done when you pick Pepe up :)

Give the little guy a :laugh: from us :mad

Will definately be asking them to show me their way of doing it and will be giving him more hugs from you guys, which i am sure he will enjoy and wont say no to lol

Edited by Pepi

As he is only small you could use a pill popper very easily. Ask your vet about them too. They are fantastic for cats that suddenly have the strength of Mr Hulk and 16 legs so should be fine for a small dog!

:laugh::):mad

Yep, I agree with others. Just stick it in their mouth - no fuss, quick, so they hardly notice you do it. I rarely treat after (ie no fuss) - but I would if I was teaching a difficult dog to tolerate it.

lol ive got a pill popper here, will need to start using it more, might even take it with me in the morning and get my vet to give me a hands on demo to help me out a little.

As he is only small you could use a pill popper very easily. Ask your vet about them too. They are fantastic for cats that suddenly have the strength of Mr Hulk and 16 legs so should be fine for a small dog!

Oh yes I'd much rather give a dog a tablet than a cat!! :laugh:

Dogs get a clue pretty quickly when meds get hidden.

yep they we started with the hide a treat in a spoonfull of peanut butter, but after a day or two he would see the peanut butter and refuse to eat a thing so now its we just pop it down his throat when ever he needs them, though he still refuses to eat a round shape of peanut buter

straight down the hatch here as well :laugh: i work in a boarding kennel and cattery so needless to say im a bit of a pro hahaha cats are the hardest though no doubt... we have to fight over who gets to do it lol i dont mind so much... We do have a scottish fold boy that will eat the tablet off the palm of ur hand... i dont get it i think he is strage hahaha its not a flavoured one either... just licks it and they picks it up and starts chewing?? lovely cat he is my fav to give meds to :)