Massive Storm In Perth

SearchJane

My lovely Sam (nearly 2 year old staffy), who is scared of the wind and cars when we're walking, sailed through this afternoon's massive storm. Thankfully thunder and lightning don't both him one jot. I was a bit scared, though, particularly when the bang was right on the heels of the bang! Fantastic to hear the sound of rain after so long.

Cheers!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My aunt in Nedlands had a few windows blown in, and a friend was knocked out by a hail stone!

My brother is in the middle of having a second storey added to their house. They just found out the builders didn't bother to make the rest of their house water-tight...they've lost pretty much everything.

:laugh:

Guest Willow

It was pretty horrendous up our way, but thankfully no damage....I got home just as the storm was really hitting, and was able to save the dogs from themselves....

Looks like we got off very lightly!!!

My brother sent me some video of the storm and the hails stones were rather large! Lots of shrubbery blown around and there neighbour lost a fence.

Hope everyone is okay :laugh:

They were HUGE! Bigger than golf balls some of them! All our cars at work have hail damage - we had to just stand there and watch :laugh:

I was driving home through the flash flooding and other people had no windscreens and rear windscreens!

Our power was out for 12 hours, has just come back on now. That was certainly the worst storm I have been through.

My aunt in Nedlands had a few windows blown in, and a friend was knocked out by a hail stone!

My brother is in the middle of having a second storey added to their house. They just found out the builders didn't bother to make the rest of their house water-tight...they've lost pretty much everything.

:laugh:

Oh no!! :laugh: how very sad and annoying for your brother Faol... I hope that insurance covers it all however it cant always replace the irreplacables... :)

How horrible. I had to go get our pup and a friends from day care and the usual 15min drive to there from work took me 45mins and then another hour to get home (usually 20mins top) I have never had to deal with hail like that before, especially drive in it. Scared the bajesus out me. Not a fan.

We were really lucky - no damages and no power loss and Ella is fine with the weather. She loves rain (part of her water obsession) and thunder/lightning doesn't phase her. We're very lucky.

They were HUGE! Bigger than golf balls some of them! All our cars at work have hail damage - we had to just stand there and watch :laugh:

I was driving home through the flash flooding and other people had no windscreens and rear windscreens!

Our power was out for 12 hours, has just come back on now. That was certainly the worst storm I have been through.

Everyone at work got hail damage too... except me! The only person whose car is already banged up and not one hail dent!

People a few houses down from home had the SES there covering up their roof because a heap of tiles had blown off.

Pretty crazy hey!

ETA: Thank God OH had gone home early because the dogs were outside (their crates are under our alfresco area) he said the hail stones were coming in horizontally under the alfresco (about 5 metres of cover) and bouncing off the glass sliding door, the poor dogs would've been battered if they were there!

Edited by amypie

We were very lucky... only street in our suburb that didn't lose power, and OH got home to bring Pepper inside before it hit. She didn't even seem to notice that there was wild weather going on outside.

I got stuck in the office til the storm blew out though, then when I left I had to sit at the train station for 40 minutes before the train was able to move (signals were out). Glad I had a good book.

Hope everyone is ok... knocked out by a hail stone isn't very fair!

Have just finished cleaning up Sam's kennel - airing the bedding mainly as it didn't flood, even though it's right next to a downpipe - and Sam's outside toybox (an old washing basket which I will now drill some holes in so it becomes self draining). I couldn't believe how many toys were in there! Time for a cull!

We had our internal water feature come to life again. I think we will be pulling up our upstairs deck to recaulk everything, but there's not much we can do about the gutters overflowing because they can't deal with huge cloudbursts (other than putting wider gutters in).

Very sad news about the windows at Winthrop Hall.

No damage at our house from the storm, except for Leila pulling out 2 of the new plants I planted on Sunday! It usually takes me 55 mins to get home...it took just over 2 hours yesterday, but it made me feel better that so many other people were in the same situation. The lightning was a little close for comfort for my liking though.

The power is apparently still out at home - a bit worried about all the dog bones in the fridge, the could be gross by the time we get home!

Leila wasnt too fussed with the storm. She must have been hiding out in her kennel for a while though because she was climbing the walls when we came home! The lightning woke me up during the night, it was either that or it was all Leila's dreaming noises.

We were lucky up here in Ellenbrook, we had no hail and had power up until 2.30am this morning and it only came back on after 10am this morning, we had a short but intense storm at 2.30 am which did knock the power out. At around 18h00 last night the sky went very orange, I have attached some pics of the orange sky and rainbows.

DSC02967.jpg

DSC02966.jpg

DSC02968.jpg

DSC02970.jpg

Our poor rabbit was totally freaked out :) Muddy was so scared he was trembling but the other dogs seemed alright. Just followed me everywhere and if they heard a clap of thunder they ran to their bed.

Glad it's over! All we wanted was some rain but of course we got a freak storm.

My brother sent me some video of the storm and the hails stones were rather large! Lots of shrubbery blown around and there neighbour lost a fence.

Hope everyone is okay :D

They were HUGE! Bigger than golf balls some of them! All our cars at work have hail damage - we had to just stand there and watch :cheer:

Bugger GR!!! That sucks about your car :whee:

Does anyone remember the big storm we had back in the early 90's sometime? It was like a cyclone. I remember our parents were in Sydney at the time so my sister's boyfriend stayed over with us kids, and we're all camping out in the most unsafe room in the house, the loungeroom with cathedral ceilings! :) Lucky we didn't lose our roof, but many people did. That was the worst storm I've been through. Though the one yesterday was pretty damn scary, I was on the train when the brunt of it hit, I was convinced that the train was going to be struck by lightening and I was a goner! :thumbsup:

Edited by RubyStar

Mim I just read bout the damage to your house in the other thread, crikey! Hope it all gets fixed up ok.

Some of the photos I have been emailed are making me go :)

Has anyone seent he pictures of the apartments in Mounts Bay Road full of mud? Whoa!

Mim I just read bout the damage to your house in the other thread, crikey! Hope it all gets fixed up ok.

Some of the photos I have been emailed are making me go :)

Has anyone seent he pictures of the apartments in Mounts Bay Road full of mud? Whoa!

I know! Have they found the missing man yet?