Retirement Homes For Dogs

fiona mills

My favorite boarding kennel, and one I used for many years before moving house was Casanova Kennels, in Dixons Creek near Melbourne. While I haven't spoken to them for a while, they always used to accept 'retired' dogs and often those left to them in deceased wills etc. They would live in a separate area to the boarders and had lovely quarters and big grassy areas and swims in the dam..... Terry & Angela genuinely loved all these dogs and went to great effort to make them feel at home. Many of the dogs would be there for many years and I got to know some of them well. They were happy, healthy and just became part of the furniture there!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The RSPCA does do it but I would NOT send my dog there. After seeing the treatment of some of the dogs there....I wouldn't want my dog to spend even a day in that enviroment. :)

She would be better off organising with friends and leave money in her will to provide for them. My friends have left me their dogs in their will.

I am not entirely sure but I believe the RSPCA fosters these dogs to approved foster families. Seems like an ok option to me.

As the title suggests, I have been asked by someone who adopted a dog from me whether there is a place that dogs can go to spend the remainder of their lives if their owner passes away?? Person involved would like to make some provisions for 2 large breed dogs who must stay together should she go to the bridge before they do. Has anyone heard of a place?

What a beautiful thing it would be to have such a place

I don't think a Shelter is a suitable place for a dog to live out its' life.

The dogs either need to go to family or friends or make the decision to pts i.m.o.

I agree. Kennels aren't what I deem the right place to live out a life either

I wouldn't count out the RSPCA program, but I'd put in a stipulation that if foster care could not be found in a set period of time then specific funds should be used to transport them to another RSPCA shelter where foster care IS available. I wouldn't imagine it would be an issue given they tranfer dogs readily between shelters and states in order to increase adoption chances.

MDBA pacers is doing this. Im happy to speak with her www.mdbapacers.org.au

We currently have some which we keep the owners updated on fortnightly after they go into aged homes where their dogs have not been able to go with a letter to tell them the things their dogs are getting up to and regular photos and we will honour any wishes for animals who are left when someone dies.

I guess you could call what we are doing is like a retirement home for pets. Right here under my feet we have Cindy who is 15 years old and her owner was put in aged care and had to leave her behind.She is incontinent and epileptic and will stay with Pacers until she needs to go to the bridge.

Wow, that's great Steve.

Lort Smith Animal Hospital have a program called Heart & Home.

If people choose to be part of the program, when they pass away, their animals will be taken into the shelter where they will go into foster carer permanently or stay there until they can find them a forever home where they can live out the rest of their days.

Lort Smith Animal Hospital do no put animals to sleep unless they have a serious temperament issue, where it is putting the staff and or other animals at serious risk.

:mad

Edited - Opps, didn't realize you were is NSW :cry:

Edited by MavericksMission

good luck with it

i would like to know more about the PACERS plan and what they do

My dogs will both be PTS if anything happens to me, they both have a heap of behavioural problems, my cats, mum and dad will take them, if not, Sumo back to his breeder, Fanta PTS and Bella rehomed. I rather PTS then have them in a kennel for the rest of their lives

MDBA Pacers will step in when disaster hits - personal disaster such as illness, or eviction, domestic violence, death etc and natural disasters such as bushfires, floods, earthquakes, etc.

We have several elderly people who are worried about what will happen to their animals if they become ill or die so we put plans in place to ensure they dont need to be worried about that.

Here's one example an elderly lady in her mid 80's has a little dog - until last christmas she thought that it would be looked after if anything happened to her by her daughter but when she went to her daugthers house for christmas and walked in with her dog the daughters dog attacked her dog.

The son in law threw a hissy fit and said under no circumstances could the dog come onto the property again .

Now she is stressed and cant sleeep at night worrying about what will happen to her little dog who is all she has had for company for 6 years.

I came in here to try to get her a buddy [who could race in and ensure the dog was safe if anything happens to her as she knows no one in the town she lives in [Taree]] who could do this for her but we had no takers.

So over Easter Im travelling to Taree to meet her and introduce her to some people Ive been able to line up for the job who live near Taree so she doesnt have to worry anymore.

If something does go wrong the people who we have lined up to help will take the dog for her. The dog will never go to a shelter and will be looked after according to her wishes. We dont expect her to pay for this.

With the ones we have already rehomed or which live here now and their owners are still alive we have teenagers who have volunteered to write reports to them and send photos to ensure they know their dogs are happy and healthy and they dont need to worry about them.

The RSPCA does do it but I would NOT send my dog there. After seeing the treatment of some of the dogs there....I wouldn't want my dog to spend even a day in that enviroment. :cry:

She would be better off organising with friends and leave money in her will to provide for them. My friends have left me their dogs in their will.

I am not entirely sure but I believe the RSPCA fosters these dogs to approved foster families. Seems like an ok option to me.

Unfortunately my professional experience with the RSPCA means I would never place a dog in their care.

They are some wonderful people who work there but the organisation has too many defects and no one to oversee them.

My experience is that the level of care is lacking significantly in some RSPCA facilities and I would never want any of my pets in there.

fantastic work! i would love to be involved and help take on a dog, but at this stage i can not have anymore dogs

There is much you can do without taking on a dog -People just want to know you will keep an eye out for their dogs in case of an emergency.You dont have to take the dogs as foster carer all you need to do is watch out for them until we get there to get them out or more help. Sometimes its as simple as checking the water is O.K. because the owner has had to be away a bit longer than they expected.Its basically what many of us assume our neighbours or family will do for us but lots of people dont have neighbours or family to rely on or they dont trust that their animals will be seen as important enough to be a priority in a disaster. They just want to know someone who understands how much they love them is in the wings if needed.

fantastic work! i would love to be involved and help take on a dog, but at this stage i can not have anymore dogs

There is much you can do without taking on a dog -People just want to know you will keep an eye out for their dogs in case of an emergency.You dont have to take the dogs as foster carer all you need to do is watch out for them until we get there to get them out or more help. Sometimes its as simple as checking the water is O.K. because the owner has had to be away a bit longer than they expected.Its basically what many of us assume our neighbours or family will do for us but lots of people dont have neighbours or family to rely on or they dont trust that their animals will be seen as important enough to be a priority in a disaster. They just want to know someone who understands how much they love them is in the wings if needed.

Steve, that is great! Well done for the job you all do!

MDBA pacers is doing this. Im happy to speak with her www.mdbapacers.org.au

We currently have some which we keep the owners updated on fortnightly after they go into aged homes where their dogs have not been able to go with a letter to tell them the things their dogs are getting up to and regular photos and we will honour any wishes for animals who are left when someone dies.

I guess you could call what we are doing is like a retirement home for pets. Right here under my feet we have Cindy who is 15 years old and her owner was put in aged care and had to leave her behind.She is incontinent and epileptic and will stay with Pacers until she needs to go to the bridge.

That's wonderful to know Steve. This conversation came up recently in my family after a couple of friends passed away suddenly (dog community) and I have just heard of another passing that friends knew. All of these people were under 50 so it's not just the older crowd who should set plans in place for their pets to ensure their wellbeing. Comming from a family who all have their own pets and friends who are all animal people with their own as well I do worry what would happen to my furkids if something happened to me. It would be great to know if there are options for mixed aged pets in these situations too, preferably to proven loving homes rather than kennel situation. Possiably monitered by an experienced person to ensure they settle properly into the new enviroment.

Not that I have any plans to leave this life!!!

Edited by ozjen

Just to set the record straight, animals that are part of the animal bequest program through the RSPCA are fostered out to homes that can accommodate them in the ways that they're used to ie getting to sleep on the bed etc., for the rest of their lives. They also are entitled to help from RSPCA vets and behaviourists. :D

Yes and I was one of those foster homes for an old Kepie....they have a waiting list for bequest dogs, because they are vet fee free and a lot of people who adore dogs, but cannot afford them can get a dog this way. The Foster owner has the dog, but all vet fees are paid....From the bequest left for them......the foster owners are checked and we were re-checked whilst we had this old boy.

You can also give a preference to future foster owners. Which is what I have done. My dogs are in the bequest program, but they are to give the first option to a couple of newfie people. That means they would get the dogs, but not pay any vet fees for the dogs lifetime and if their situation had changed the dogs would go to our own newf rescue, with the same options. this is all tied down quite legally through our will.

One of our friends did pass way and that is how we got her Kelpie. You have many options in this program and you need to check this all out with your solicitor, which is what we did. Therre are not many friends or relatives who can afford to take on 3 large dogs, plus our horses. And friendships change and everything can change, so we chose a body that would be around and we just tied it all up legally, which cost us a $800.00 solicitor fee, but it is for our pets future

Just to set the record straight, animals that are part of the animal bequest program through the RSPCA are fostered out to homes that can accommodate them in the ways that they're used to ie getting to sleep on the bed etc., for the rest of their lives. They also are entitled to help from RSPCA vets and behaviourists. :D

Yes and I was one of those foster homes for an old Kepie....they have a waiting list for bequest dogs, because they are vet fee free and a lot of people who adore dogs, but cannot afford them can get a dog this way. The Foster owner has the dog, but all vet fees are paid....From the bequest left for them......the foster owners are checked and we were re-checked whilst we had this old boy.

You can also give a preference to future foster owners. Which is what I have done. My dogs are in the bequest program, but they are to give the first option to a couple of newfie people. That means they would get the dogs, but not pay any vet fees for the dogs lifetime and if their situation had changed the dogs would go to our own newf rescue, with the same options. this is all tied down quite legally through our will.

One of our friends did pass way and that is how we got her Kelpie. You have many options in this program and you need to check this all out with your solicitor, which is what we did. Therre are not many friends or relatives who can afford to take on 3 large dogs, plus our horses. And friendships change and everything can change, so we chose a body that would be around and we just tied it all up legally, which cost us a $800.00 solicitor fee, but it is for our pets future

Yes it works in a similar way to ours but none of our foster carers pay expenses regardless of where the animals come from or why.

then i pretty much do that - only the not wait for you bit, I am on centre links list and they contact me if anyone is having any problems caring for their pets till something else can be sorted... might suggest they contact you guys as well

Yes it works in a similar way to ours but none of our foster carers pay expenses regardless of where the animals come from or why.

I am also in Southern NSW..Is there any way of getting to know more about yours. I only did what was available to me at the time. And I know this sounds stupid, but what would happen if something happened to you? Or is there a group back-up? When it comes to my pets, I worry forever, some say it is a neurosisi :)

MDBA Pacers is a charity of the same nature as the RSPCA we have a board of directors and Im just one cog in the wheel so if anything happens to me there is plenty in place to ensure the dogs are well cared for in people's homes and that what we are doing can prevail for hundrds of years not just for now.We are the new kids on the block but our aim is to be the animal charity of choice before Im too old to see it. :D

Since we have been doing pacers Ive been blown out by the things Ive seen which make me more and more determined to get it right for the owners because I think the dog is better off if you help the owner and follow the owners direction on what is best for their animals.

We have seen people who have decided that the reason their friend was sick was because she had two german shephards which lived in her home.While she was in hospital there were moves to have her dogs removed so when she came out they would no longer be there. We fought like mad for that and I was given power of attorney to stop them. We even had to take on the local catholic priest to ensure those dogs were there to greet her when she returned home from hospital because they all thought they knew what was best and they didnt get why the dogs meant so much to her.

Now she is back to full health and knows what could have happened she has it all tied up legally so that her dogs are not sent off to the pound if she becomes ill or dies.

I could tell you stories all day about how Ive seen family race in and ignore everything the owner wants for their animals even though the owner trusted them to do the right thing. Ive seen animals taken off to pounds even before the will is read and Ive seen people who take animals and the money then decide its too hard or the dog is too old and have the dog taken off to be PTS.