Womans Arm Severed By Dog

PuggaWuggles

Actually, I'd be very careful of making statements like 'taught to attack' and 'dog was abused' in a public forum when the identify of the owners is known. Just my view.

Yes. Anyone can create a login on DOL and write drivel. You don't actually need to know the owner to do that :-)

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My dogs are secured entirely within the grounds of my house, which are large-ish. To me, that simply means that they can't get out.

If anyone suggested to them that they were maltreated, they'd fall about laughing.

I really wasn't trying to be controversial, Justice Shades, in sounding a warning. I left Law studies at the end of year 2 (passed) after deciding that Law wasn't for me. However, someone else with more knowledge might be able to set me right, but as it stands, be on the safe side and say 'alleged'.

This is a volatile case with a high public profile in Victoria and should a newspaper's minion chose to publish a reader's accusations, that's the newspaper's problem. I haven't yet noticed where any journalist has repeated this claim, but I'm willing to stand corrected as I haven't read all of the press.

When all's said and done, a woman who allegedly 'adored' this dog has been savaged in a most monstrous manner. That is the only fact of which we can be certain.

the problem remains that a dog identified as a piotbull has once again inflicted horrific injuries on a human being. The circumstances matter only to people who are concerned with understanding dog behaviour - ill treatment or lack of training does not influence the knee jerk response that the bayiong of the media is encouraging.

Sadly some owners of "macho" type dogs see them as an extension of their masculinity/toughness etc etc the more awsomely savage and uncontrolable the dog the bigger the swagger of such an owner... NO AMOUNT OF REGULATION LEGISLATION OR SUCH will ensure that dogs that are dangerous are not owned by such idiots.. that is why the current legislation will actually lead to increased incidents because the pitbull has been sent underground and therefore will be bred and owned only by those who should never be allowed near a dog let alone own one.

Off my soap box now

H

No not crap. I'm not sure how many more bull breed/s attacks there has to be on people/other animals but maybe some people will get a clue eventually and some will keep their heads firmly implanted in the sand.

For example, the APBT site specifically inform that they were initially bred for fighting and it's a fact that can't be denied or ignored. They also mention that potential owners should be aware of the potential inherited characteristics of this breed.

I would akin them to owning a loaded gun. In the right hands they can be safe (with proper training) and not many "average Joe" people would even fit that bill. In the wrong hands.....well we've seen what happens time and time again.

I use to dislike APBT's immensely but now I actually fill sorry for them. With the fighting lines that got imported in the 1980's (way to many Jeep descendents), then into the hands of idiots, then other people who breed them illegally under the radar.....the breed actually stood no chance in this country. It's a real pity there wern't more importations from the "non fighting" lines then we could have seen custom dogs, safer family pets, obedience, agility and therapy dogs (which the non fighting lines are used for in the USA).

Total crap. You don't know anything about them. Dogs were bred to fight, but bred to be people safe. Fighting other dogs doesn't equate to attacks on people, never has, never will.

No medium to large sized dog should be owned by idiots.

There has never been a fatal attack by a pitbull in Aust. What does that tell you?

Pitbulls are way down the attack list stats, even when they are numerically adjusted.

Be frightened of cattle dogs, german shepherds, labradors, they are way ahead of pitbulls.

Do you research before posting your feelings disguised as fact, and fact shaped by skewed media propaganda.

Top post Jed :rainbowbridge:

No not crap. I'm not sure how many more bull breed/s attacks there has to be on people/other animals but maybe some people will get a clue eventually and some will keep their heads firmly implanted in the sand.

For example, the APBT site specifically inform that they were initially bred for fighting and it's a fact that can't be denied or ignored. They also mention that potential owners should be aware of the potential inherited characteristics of this breed.

I would akin them to owning a loaded gun. In the right hands they can be safe (with proper training) and not many "average Joe" people would even fit that bill. In the wrong hands.....well we've seen what happens time and time again.

I use to dislike APBT's immensely but now I actually fill sorry for them. With the fighting lines that got imported in the 1980's (way to many Jeep descendents), then into the hands of idiots, then other people who breed them illegally under the radar.....the breed actually stood no chance in this country. It's a real pity there wern't more importations from the "non fighting" lines then we could have seen custom dogs, safer family pets, obedience, agility and therapy dogs (which the non fighting lines are used for in the USA).

Total crap. You don't know anything about them. Dogs were bred to fight, but bred to be people safe. Fighting other dogs doesn't equate to attacks on people, never has, never will.

There has never been a fatal attack by a pitbull in Aust. What does that tell you?

Pitbulls are way down the attack list stats, even when they are numerically adjusted.

Be frightened of cattle dogs, german shepherds, labradors, they are way ahead of pitbulls.

Do you research before posting your feelings disguised as fact, and fact shaped by skewed media propaganda.

Agree, Jed. I've worked with animals for 5 years now and can honestly say I have never been threatened by a 'bull breed' dog. I have, however, been threatened by plenty of other breeds that I won't name because I don't want to offend people, one in particular.

What are the none fighting lines? Wow!! my boy was Jeep tag.........lol

Maybe you can give the name of the first fighting dog imported in Aus...

Are you saying that the Sachs et al data on fatal attacks is total crap? See table below (source: http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/duip/dog50.pdf)

Edited by sandgrubber

Just watched Hugh Wirth- he's not just bad for pit bulls, he's bad for dogs :( Calling on the public to dob in 'pit bulls'- the public doesn't even know what a pit bull is. I think it is very scary :eek::mad

He's an absolute tool. I was fuming with some of the things he was saying on the 7pm Project.

As soon as I heard he was going to be on, I changed channels because I would have thrown something at my TV & I can't afford a new one.

:( :D :) Hugh Wirthless, wish he'd disappear off the face of the earth. :swear::swear::swear:

Just watched Hugh Wirth- he's not just bad for pit bulls, he's bad for dogs :swear: Calling on the public to dob in 'pit bulls'- the public doesn't even know what a pit bull is. I think it is very scary :D :)

He's a bit of an old man these days, you should ring them up Cosmo and ask them to put you on tomorrow you are much closer to their demographic :(

the problem remains that a dog identified as a piotbull has once again inflicted horrific injuries on a human being. The circumstances matter only to people who are concerned with understanding dog behaviour - ill treatment or lack of training does not influence the knee jerk response that the bayiong of the media is encouraging.

Sadly some owners of "macho" type dogs see them as an extension of their masculinity/toughness etc etc the more awsomely savage and uncontrolable the dog the bigger the swagger of such an owner... NO AMOUNT OF REGULATION LEGISLATION OR SUCH will ensure that dogs that are dangerous are not owned by such idiots.. that is why the current legislation will actually lead to increased incidents because the pitbull has been sent underground and therefore will be bred and owned only by those who should never be allowed near a dog let alone own one.

Off my soap box now

H

In 12 pages the best and most realistic post so far, well done

This should not be about a dogs breed or who bred it, saying a pedigree dog is more likely to be stable is nonsense, be it a pedigree or a mutt if the breeder does the right thing that is only the start, the person who brings the dog up will be the one who decides the dogs future not a piece of paper.

If dog owners start to turn on each other, let them be the first to put up their hand to have their dog PTS under BSL, I see the Premier of Vic has said tonight on the news that he will bring in new laws, WTF, there are many laws now that are not enforced, fix that and send a few dog abusers to the big house and we may be on our way to fix a problem. This is NOT a byb problem or a cross breed problem, it is a problem within all of our communities with all breeds of dogs.

What are the none fighting lines? Wow!! my boy was Jeep tag.........lol

Maybe you can give the name of the first fighting dog imported in Aus...

They were Reid dogs imported from UK into WA as quarantine was cheaper as no rabies in UK. They weren't fighting dogs. Some UKC dogs came in the East but haven't been able to find their names. They were the modern type with registration. Banjo Pattersaon described a dog fight by APBTs in Botany Bay in 1900 so they have been here over a century.

First fighting lines were Marlowe and Jeep and STP. The first fighting dog was Gr Ch Tank. This has nothing to do with thread just answering your questions.

Edited by justin19801

I'm trying to get their email address WnH but it won't let me log in.

I just registered there seems to be a problem with their security certificate or something so I had to ignore my computers security warnings, bit of a worry I got through though. They don't seem to have an email just one of those forms to fill out I will put in a plug for you :(