Womans Arm Severed By Dog

PuggaWuggles

I'm sorry but there is no reasonable defense for the dog doing what he did (which I know you're not going PF)- her arm is almost ripped off - hardly an appropriate level of defence against a 67 year old lady.

We don't know if the dog WAS reacting defensively.

We also don't know how this dog has been treated in the past.

Its all speculation.

The dog has paid with its life. Mrs B will bear the scars of this for the remainder of hers. More stupid laws will be introduced which will do nothing to prevent these sorts of attacks. And so it goes.

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The dog has paid with its life. Mrs B will bear the scars of this for the remainder of hers. More stupid laws will be introduced which will do nothing to prevent these sorts of attacks. And so it goes.

And that folks sums it up.

if the dog was living with her for three years and lets say it was restrained [chained up] which is what it does sound like, and she is 67 Who walks the dog? any sort of working breed that is pent up and never exercised is bound to go crazy at some point. it wouldnt matter if it was a pitbull or a kelpie, try being locked in a small yard or on a chain for a week let alone a few years and lets see hoe you react.

if i dont spend at least two good hours with my dog a day walking , or playing in the yard , she wont sleep and will be irritating when inside wriggling around on her bed like shes got worms.

thay need to be exercised EVERYDAY not once a year or once a month.

what if she babied the dog and let it sit on the lounge with her everynight and slept on her bed as it made her feel safer? the dog would have got different ideas to what she had.

truth is there is probly a thousand different scenarios you could lay down but we dont know what really happened and speculating isnt going to repair that poor ladies arm.

I did my PhD on quantification of fire on a global basis. In a statistical sense, fire is inevitable if the conditions are right. It's often hard to blame 'the match'. Some pretty impressive fires are started by lightning, which is hard to ban. Sorry to use reasoning by analogy . . . which is bad science, but can have poetic value.

what causes a fire is the idiot holding the match. thought you woulda figured youd get that answer before you posted
Edited by sandgrubber

And that folks sums it up.

Only because the knowledgable people don't step up and demand real solutions, first thing on the news was Hugh Wirth mouthing off, where are the dog trainers, the educators?

The only reason councils don't enforce existing registration laws is because it's not a priority for any government, it's not an election issue and the problem isn't big enough to pervade the public conciousness (yet). Perhaps everyone with an interest in actual solutions and strategies needs to present them to their local, state and federal members so that it begins to be perceived as an important problem which needs to be addressed by people with knowledge of dog behaviour and the ability to present that knowledge to the public in an accessible form.

I think it's a real shame that Wirth is the only mouthpiece around when it comes to dog attacks, ranting about pitbulls is just pointless - it's past time the dog world got a spokesperson with some balls and something useful to say! Did any of our professional dog behaviourists here ring the local news to offer their expert analysis of the matter? If not, why not? Phone calls are cheap grab a notepad jot down the essential message and shout it from the rooftops to anyone who will listen, offer to write an article for the local rag about risk factors in dog attacks, now is the perfect time to get the message out there. If you have something that qualifies you to speak about an issue you may be a trainer, a behaviourist, a breeder or an owner there is no reason you can't ring up and offer to be interviewed about your thoughts on the latest dog attack.

I did my PhD on quantification of fire on a global basis. In a statistical sense, fire is inevitable if the conditions are right. It's often hard to blame 'the match'. Some pretty impressive fires are started by lightning, which is hard to ban. Sorry to be use reasoning by analogy . . . which is bad science, but sometimes works out as good poetry.

I think you mean "Sorry to be using" or "Sorry to use" :laugh:

you would be suprised at how they twist your words around to suit what people want to hear.

i have been on a couple of interveiws on south australin radio and i was bombardedby the host with questions that there was no answer for, and instead of letting me put a point across i was swiftly thanked and cut off before i could even get a word out.

responsible owners dont make the news, the other ones do.

you're right . . . what I'm sorry to use is the edit function on this system, which has taken ill to something in my computer system and makes it hard to fix typos and the rubbish that comes in when you rearrange sentences and can't adequately proof text. am I the only one having this problem.

specifically, I can only add text before a quote. Once I've typed things, I can't go back and edit, except by posting and then using the 'quick edit'.

I did my PhD on quantification of fire on a global basis. In a statistical sense, fire is inevitable if the conditions are right. It's often hard to blame 'the match'. Some pretty impressive fires are started by lightning, which is hard to ban. Sorry to be use reasoning by analogy . . . which is bad science, but sometimes works out as good poetry.

I think you mean "Sorry to be using" or "Sorry to use" :laugh:

you would be suprised at how they twist your words around to suit what people want to hear.

i have been on a couple of interveiws on south australin radio and i was bombardedby the host with questions that there was no answer for, and instead of letting me put a point across i was swiftly thanked and cut off before i could even get a word out.

responsible owners dont make the news, the other ones do.

I'm sure they do, which is why everyone needs to be media savvy, Wirth says want he wants to say nothing more nothing less, nothing of his gets twisted because he only says the one same thing - which is also the way most politicians operate, as long as you have that down pat you'll be right :laugh:

Where are the dog trainers WnH? The media does not want to talk to the dog trainers, the educators. They talk to Hugh Wirth because he will say something sensationalist.

Yes but WnH then they don't want you back- i was on with Derryn Hinch a while ago and responded well to his baiting attempts- too well, because now what i have to say is uninteresting!!

Edited by Cosmolo

Apparently the dogs real owner - the grandson - is in jail (for 3 years) - that's what was meant by "sorting out some problems" LOL. Why am I not surprised. The picture I'm getting here of this poor dogs probably lifestyle is not pretty.

Where are the dog trainers WnH? The media does not want to talk to the dog trainers, the educators. They talk to Hugh Wirth because he will say something sensationalist.

Yes but WnH then they don't want you back- i was on with Derryn Hinch a while ago and responded well to his baiting attempts- too well, because now what i have to say is uninteresting!!

Lol all I can suggest is keep plugging away at it, Wirth has been building his profile for years but if you keep nagging them they are bound to give in and every time you get one comment in print or on air it's a victory :laugh:

Anyone can be sensationalist - just make fun of bogans or wear a skimpy top or dress your dog in a jailbird outfit or something equally 'out there'. Take a leaf out of PETAs book, they rarely have people protesting outside fast food places in sensible clothing it's usually either a girl in a bikini or a guy in a whacky costume, they do this because it's almost guarenteed air time/print. The novelty factor gets the air time and the air time gets the message out there. The news doesn't just report that a PETA person dressed in a chicken suit stood outside KFC they usually add that they are protesting against whatever it is they are protesting against.

I feel sad for the lady injured but no one was there to see what happened. There are 2 sides to a story, then there is the truth.

Ofcoarse I am not saying anyone deserves to be attacked, especially to that extent, ;) but whose to say the dog wasnt abused/being abused and defended itself??? Maybe it did go stir crazy on the end of A chain - who knows?

I find it hard to believe the dog would just turn like that, especially so bad. :laugh:

My neices that were dog invloved in that dog attack a few weeks ago in Fairfield NSW jumped on that particular dog, pulling its ears and Gods know what. (I wasnt there and never saw the dog in question in person) the dog was trying to kill the cat and ofcoarse they got bitten as they got in the middle, trying to save the cat. (which they did) I saw the wounds they had on their arms. The media made out one had a finger severed at one stage. In all honesty they were small puncture marks. Not the damage you'd expect from a supposed pitty x.

I did see a pic of this dog, its head was twice the size of my 10yr old neices :eek: but I am no expert on pitty x's so cant confirm that he was one.

Then just recently I was in ctc with a family, theyre 3 yr old son was involved in a terrible attack by a labelled pitbull or x.

This was part of her email

________ attack happened 3 weeks ago. He is recovering well and thankfully will only be left with a scar under one eye as most of the other injuries are inside his mouth. He is full of stitches but as a mother of youngsters yourself you know how quickly children bounce back. At the moment we are unsure of any lasting dmage to feeling on his upper lip as this was completely severed from his gum. He is back to the surgeon next month for an assessment.

Amazingly I am having extreme difficulty in bringing action against either the owner or the dog. As the attack happened at the dogs home the authorities are reluctant in taking action, and I am now lobbying my local member to become involved. I am completely astounded that this dog seems to have more rights legally than my son and any other person in this community. The dog is known to the local rangers as it has bitten a child previously 2 years ago as it was wandering unsupervised on public grounds. It looks as if we will be facing a long and costly civil law suit to make the dog owner take responsiblilty. Even her own vet has advised that the dog is dangerous and should be put to sleep. As a dog lover myself I am sad that it may come to this but more concerned for the welfare of all children in this suburb.

Very sad. They had to rehome their 2 sheps who'd been family pets because the young son couldnt bear being around them. I think the sheps were 5 yrs old. The family was distraught parting with them, I just hope they got good homes. The son was scared as they were at face level with him and now he has a phobia of larger dogs. Poor kid.

In this case the person who owns this dog should be shot!!!!!! To continually let a known HA dog roam, and get away with it is beyond me. :champagne: As for the dog in question, IMO it should be pts. :thumbsup:

have a read of the other 56 (and rising) comments on the story. What venom. There are some strong BSL supporters out there.

Actually, I'd be very careful of making statements like 'taught to attack' and 'dog was abused' in a public forum when the identify of the owners is known. Just my view.

Why? It's not my assertion, it was published as a comment in the Herald Sun by someone who alleges they know the family.

Unanimous of Unanimous Posted at 5:07 AM Today

People People People please stop Blaming the breed,When will you ever Learn.. I know the Family Personally,& this dogs real owner is Kathy's son Vlado who is currently in Jail,I am not suprised by the attack,The dog was allways mis-treated & taught to attack,sad but I only speak the truth..

Comment 5 of 57

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/...x-1225844490946

Edited by sandgrubber

according to a letter to the Sun Herald online:

"Unanimous" writes: "I know the family personally and this dogs real owner is Kathys son Vlado who is currently in jail. I am not surprised by the attack, the dog was always mistreated and taught to attack."

I wish he had said who had mistreated this dog, but as there was no name given with the letter, it could be a false statement.

Rocky lashed out as Mrs Bonic tried to usher him into another room about 11am

Trigger event.

I was hoping someone with knowledge might shed some light on why they think this may have caused a reaction. Is it possible it was a dominance issue? She said "go" and he said "don't push me"? I know next to nix about behavior in this context.

I was also hoping for expert opinion on this.

Rocky lashed out as Mrs Bonic tried to usher him into another room about 11am

Trigger event.

I was hoping someone with knowledge might shed some light on why they think this may have caused a reaction. Is it possible it was a dominance issue? She said "go" and he said "don't push me"? I know next to nix about behavior in this context.

I was also hoping for expert opinion on this.

A trigger event is something that caused the dog to attack. Without being there to see what happened no one can say why this may have triggered the attack. Was there undue force used in moving him from the room, did he have something he prized like a bone or any number of other scenarios.