Absolutely Gutted -

Shakti

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Melo - what a wonderful offer - thank you. Ben can be fine with other male dogs if he is properly introduced etc but if a dog rushes at him or shows aggression he responds very quickly.

Thanks Nekhbet. I have outlined his troublesome behaviours in my first post. I don't know if having a third party rehome him is a responsible choice as I would be concerned that perhaps they would not be able to handle him around teenagers etc either. Also I dont want to just pass on a problem dog - it is just that I am at my wit's end as to what on earth I can do. The sad truth is, as several other posters have pointed out, that this busy household is just not the right environment for him no matter what precautions I take.

Maybe I am just feeling too despondent at the moment

What a terrible position you are in Brooke. I'm sorry I don't have any answers for you, but you have clearly come to the right place for help. I hope you find a good solution.

I am really impressed with the reading of this thread, the sensible advice and assistance offered. This is what dol is all about :laugh:

Brook, such a horrible situation to be faced with.

I can only imagine how you must be feeling. But you are right the safety of the rest of the family and the foster children is paramount.

I thought that I would post a link to the Save a Shepherd website. They mainly do rescues of GSD in the Canberra region, however where possible help out Australia wide. So perhaps they may be able to give you some assistance in finding a suitable home for Ben, if other options don't pan out.

http://saveashepherd.webs.com/

I only wish I was capable of taking your boy on. ;)

I wish you all the luck in the world, and sincerely hope a suitable home can be found for Ben.

Sending you :laugh: during this difficult time.

can I just say to people that any dog that has bitten before should not just go to rescue orgs or rehomed without sufficient retraining and evaluation by someone experienced in dealing and properly understanding the behavior. It is one thing to say a home with no children but until the actual behavior and causation is understood you could just be putting the dog in another potential bite situation.

i understand your pain brooke, i had to make the same call last year of my wei, who was getting too unpredictable, i have kids too :laugh:

i thought about rehoming him to an adult, one dog family, but being realistic it wasn't going to happen. ;)

i still miss him alot :eek:

i too got wonderful support here from dol, good luck with the choice you make. :champagne:

Thanks for the support and the kind words everyone! As we are running out of options, it seems more and more likely that my lovely boy may have to be PTS. I still have my fingers crossed that a GSD trainer will take him but the replies so far have not been encouraging.

I feel like my heart is breaking as I watch him galloping about the backyard so full of life and so beautiful.

You must be joking Brooke :laugh: The dog belongs to you, the foster kids don't.......no contest is it really???.

Thanks for the support and the kind words everyone! As we are running out of options, it seems more and more likely that my lovely boy may have to be PTS. I still have my fingers crossed that a GSD trainer will take him but the replies so far have not been encouraging.

I feel like my heart is breaking as I watch him galloping about the backyard so full of life and so beautiful.

You must be joking Brooke :laugh: The dog belongs to you, the foster kids don't.......no contest is it really???.

She asked for no flaming. That comment is harsh.

Helping foster kids and troubled teens is obviously something Brooke values. Good luck with whatever you decide. It would be a hard decision to make but your the only one who can decide whats best.

This is what I wanted to say too but thought I'd better not! Everyones priorities are different and as much as Brooke obviously loves her dog she is in a situation where she can't do both. Hugs to you Brooke, hope something turns up....please don't pts. Tanya from SAS I'm sure will help.

Might be worth putting a note up on the DOL rescue forum.

I know there are a lot of people out there who love GSDs, and many of them are quite skilled at handling dogs.

You need to rehome Ben as soon as possible, before there are tears. And there will be.

He is not happy in this environment, he is telling you at every opportunity. This is a very difficult environment for most dogs.

And it is quite possible that some of the children have either hurt him, or tormented him. Either current or past ones

Choose the home carefully, without children, and ensure the people are aware of his behaviour and aware of the temperament and needs of the GSD. There is a high possibility that with the stress of the move, he will be less predictable, and the new owners need to be aware of that.

Your only other option is to keep him segregated from all the children all the time. And I think this is going to be impossible.

And if you stop fostering children, he will still not be safe with your children.

Otherwise, have him humanely pts.

Do NOT send him to the pound or rescue. He will definitely bite someone if you do that.

I don't believe this environment is suitable for any dog.

My sentiments exactly .Its an unfortunate set of circumstances but children should always come first.

I am sure a home can be found for him without children where he will be taken care of.I have been confronted with the same situation unfortunately dog was not rehomeable and pains me greatly to have to pts the dog but children always come first.You can buy another dog but you cant buy another child.

You must be joking Brooke The dog belongs to you, the foster kids don't.......no contest is it really???.

Disposable statements are easy to make from your armchair but children deserve a second chance and a loving home more so than a lot of dogs do.

Our prisons are full of people that didnt have the opportunity of a loving home or foster care and left to fend for themselves.If people like Brooke didnt foster children there would be a lot more.Just think about that.

I am sorry Brooke I have no answers for you I just wanted to send you hugs and our heartfelt thoughts.

The work you do with foster children is invaluable....we need so many more people like you who reach out to children in need.

Good luck in whichever path you take.

Please ignore harsh words from ignorant people, it takes courage to come on to this forum and open your heart like you have. You deserve so much more than heartless judgemental comments. These children have come into your home hoping for a safe, nuturing environment and I understand that you are concerned regarding their safety around your GSD as any good parent (foster or otherwise would).

You have been offered some brilliant advice regarding options you may have and I wish you all the best.

i understand your pain brooke, i had to make the same call last year of my wei, who was getting too unpredictable, i have kids too ;)

i thought about rehoming him to an adult, one dog family, but being realistic it wasn't going to happen. :eek:

i still miss him alot :champagne:

i too got wonderful support here from dol, good luck with the choice you make. :thumbsup:

Same with me.

Brooke, I hope you can find a solution that you can live with, its a heartbreaking place to be. :thumbsup:

I just want to point out to those who have said rehome, rehome, from experience its nigh on impossible to responsibly rehome a dog that has exhibited any aggression.

Rescuers are extremely reluctant to take them on and a private rehoming is very hard to find and highly risky.

I got zero interest in taking my dog on and I had to wrestle with my conscience as to whether it was a responsible thing to do to rehome her myself. It was devastating but I decided that it was not.

I hope Nekhbet can help you Brooke and I wish you the best of luck whatever you do. :laugh:

I just wanted to say how sorry I am that you have to make such a hard decision. ;)

I think what you are doing by fostering kids that need a loving and supportive family is fantastic. One day when my littlies are all grown up I would love to do the same. Children are our future and there are far too many kids out there that need help and not enough resources for them. Keep fostering, you are doing the right thing.

Big hugs to you. :laugh:

You need to rehome Ben as soon as possible, before there are tears. And there will be.

He is not happy in this environment, he is telling you at every opportunity. This is a very difficult environment for most dogs.

And it is quite possible that some of the children have either hurt him, or tormented him. Either current or past ones

Choose the home carefully, without children, and ensure the people are aware of his behaviour and aware of the temperament and needs of the GSD. There is a high possibility that with the stress of the move, he will be less predictable, and the new owners need to be aware of that.

Your only other option is to keep him segregated from all the children all the time. And I think this is going to be impossible.

And if you stop fostering children, he will still not be safe with your children.

Otherwise, have him humanely pts.

Do NOT send him to the pound or rescue. He will definitely bite someone if you do that.

I don't believe this environment is suitable for any dog.

My sentiments exactly .Its an unfortunate set of circumstances but children should always come first.

I am sure a home can be found for him without children where he will be taken care of.I have been confronted with the same situation unfortunately dog was not rehomeable and pains me greatly to have to pts the dog but children always come first.You can buy another dog but you cant buy another child.

You must be joking Brooke The dog belongs to you, the foster kids don't.......no contest is it really???.

Disposable statements are easy to make from your armchair but children deserve a second chance and a loving home more so than a lot of dogs do.

Our prisons are full of people that didnt have the opportunity of a loving home or foster care and left to fend for themselves.If people like Brooke didnt foster children there would be a lot more.Just think about that.

And a disposable statement it is. Thoughtless harsh words are not required in a thread like this. There is no debate here only assistance required.

edit to add: well said bullgogz4eva.

Edited by ILK

Brooke, many years ago I had two GSDs. They were great companions for each other when we were at work. When the bitch passed the dog 'changed'. He was never 'into' people except for OH and I, he had just tended to ignore everyone else. However, he started taking an unhealthy interest in people after his doggy pal passed. He would grab clothing, he grabbed my MIL's arm (not hard but still). He showed a disturbing interest in children. We were able to manage him because he was so obedient but it was stressful. Our daughter was expecting her first child and we really had to think about the whole situation.

Of course, no-one wanted a dog who had these sort of problems and who was so large. As a last resort we contacted out then ACO. He was brilliant and knew of the perfect home for the dog. Single man on a large property, virtually no visitors. Dog was rehomed happily there.

I would have PTS if we hadn't been fortunate enough to find this bloke.