Kids And Dog Parks

Prydenjoy

I love kids, but I really don't think that a busy off-lead dog park is an appropriate place for a young child/toddler to be walking around in.

I agree.

An off-leash dog park is for the dogs. Some owners would feel uncomfortable that there are kids present in case their dog bowled them over and may feel as tho' they must leash their dog. What is the point of an off-leash dog park then? It's not fair to the other users of the off-lead park. Please take the kids to a playground with your dog for an on-lead walk and visit the off-leash park without the kids :laugh:

Are your parks actually dog parks? Or parks where dogs are allowed?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get annoyed at the parents who dont watch their children and they constantly run after Charlie and cuddle him and stop him playing with the other dogs. I want Charlie to interact with the dogs and run and zoom, not play with other humans.

Thats just me.

I love kids, but I really don't think that a busy off-lead dog park is an appropriate place for a young child/toddler to be walking around in.

I agree.

An off-leash dog park is for the dogs. Some owners would feel uncomfortable that there are kids present in case their dog bowled them over and may feel as tho' they must leash their dog. What is the point of an off-leash dog park then? It's not fair to the other users of the off-lead park. Please take the kids to a playground with your dog for an on-lead walk and visit the off-leash park without the kids :laugh:

Are your parks actually dog parks? Or parks where dogs are allowed?

I'm talking about a fenced park specifically set up as an off-lead dog park, and not a public park that allows dogs to be off-lead :laugh: Hope that clarifies :thumbsup:

Depends what your children are like, depends how busy the park is, depends how many dogs are at the park.

The dog park I visit has children there regularly. One of their children (3yr old) is now petrified of dogs as he was bitten on the face a few months ago. These children run around screaming, throwing sticks and rocks, digging holes and hugging/kissing/picking up dogs as they please. So I was not surprised to hear one was bitten.

If you are aware of the risks, then you can weigh them up for yourself.

I dont mind children coming to off leash parks, provided that they are supervised by their parents and ask before patting the dogs. I let kids play with my dogs so they can learn to treat these 'little people' differently, kids generally love both my girls because they think my JRT is funny when she plays fetch, and they love my GR because she is so cuddly

What I dont like is when parents give their kids a ball to play with but expect you to keep your ball crazy dog away from them. Im sorry but if you give your kids a ball to play with put them on the other side of the fence, I bring my dog to the park to run and play with her ball, I bring my own but I cant help it if she thinks the kids running and playing look more fun than me. Mostly the kids end up playing with her but Ive had a couple of parents ask me to keep my JRT away from her kids, if parents are going to have that attitude then dont take them to an off leash park, if my dog was big and the kids were scared then of course Id take her away, but they arent scared of her, the parents just want to be a PITA

I've found the kids who are coming along with their parents are usually fairly dog savy and the parents tend to keep an eye on them.

Most parks around here have kids playgrounds next to them so you usually find the kids are more interested in going there than staying in the dog area. Parents can keep an eye on both kids and dogs and it seems to work well.

With parks that have a big and small dog section, there tends to be a few kids who have big dogs in the family and so find the littlies interesting - I've never had any of them be a problem and they listen and remember instructions.

The kids I've found to be a potential problem are the ones whose families don't have dogs - both they and the parents aren't dog savy and so you see stuff like parents letting their kids go into the offleash to "play with the dogs" and the kids run about screaming with no parent in sight, sometimes a slightly older child is the only supervision for the younger ones - my inate childcare worker steps up and between myself and my son we end up conducting a short lesson in how to behave around dogs LOL and I'm not above instructing the older siblings to take the toddlers back to mum or dad with a message that they should be supervising them around strange dogs.

Our dog park has a fenced area for the dogs and next to it a fenced area for the kids so i can keep an eye on both and swap from "kid pen" to "dog pen" depending on which one has the most anti social characters in it... It has been known that the kids pen has the aggro ones in it and then we leave and the dogs miss out on a big run... We have been going since my daughter was 3 and son newborn in a pram in the dog pen with me. I would never allow my kids to walk around in the dog pen i don't want them to get knocked over and also don't want them to tread in dog poo which is a bit hard not to sometimes....

I don't think dog parks are an ideal place to take children. If a dog owner had no choice and had to bring along their baby or child, I would say that if bringing a young baby the best option would be to carry them in a sling or if bringing along a toddler, use a stroller.

When I used to go to this particular dog park, I would always cringe a little when i'd see babies playing in the water, where I would regularly see dogs doing their business.

We have a local reserve that is "offleash" (not a dedicated fenced area but is well known locally as a offleash area) I take my 15 month old and if there is no-one around let her have wander or find a quiet spot where I let her toddle around whilst I throw the ball for my 2. There are a lot of regulars and you get to know the people and their dogs. If there is someone I dont know she gets picked up and put in the pram - not because I am overly worried about her but because I would hate for the owners to think they have to leash their dog for me.

My older daughter (who is 6) knows not to run around or approach strange dogs.

I often find children threads on here strange. My husband works long hours and I cant just find someone to babysit whilst I walk the dogs. I walk my dogs daily. The alternative would be to have them locked in the backyard all day which to me is unacceptable. I make sure my dogs and children dont affect anyones enjoyment at the park.

My two kids are older - 8 and 11 - so i do take them along - but only to DOL meets - and with much discussion first about OK behaviour. I wouldn't take them to a dog park with unknown dogs - I tend not to take my dogs there - I do like the parks that have a playgound next to them though - our park for DOL meets has a playground in it - which is not ideal IMHO

I agree with the stroller as an option if there are other dogs around

I agree.

But I have heard people on this forum say that you should ask people at an off-lead dog park if it is OK for your dog to approach their dog. Apparently they have the right to be there even if their dog doesn't like other dogs and the onus is on you to have your dog under perfect control. By that line of thinking - your dog should not approach the child unless you check with the parents. :confused:

Edited by Chocolatelover

I think that kids should be able to enter a dog park, as long as the parent is responsible enough to supervise.

I actually had a really bad experience on Saturday at a dog park.

The dog park we go to is extremely quiet, majority of the time you are the only person with a dog. I do not usually frequent dog parks however it was Oscar's birthday so we went and had a couple of puppy friends come along for a BBQ to celebrate. We had a long leash set up as my dog does get very excited and is extremely boisterous, so I would never let him off around young children as he is a big goof and could really hurt them without realising.

So I attached the long line to a tree way down the other end of the park as there was a couple sitting at one end of the park with approximately a 3 year old. We were in the process of attaching the long line when the 3 year old came over and started playing with the line (Oscar was still on his normal leash). I am talking a good distance away from the parents, like a 100-200m. They did nothing, just sat there. We simply waited for the little boy to leave and he only did so when another dog came in the gate. I was shocked at such behaviour. We were trying to do the right thing and they appeared to not care at all.

Very disappointing when you see parents like that. Then there are great parents and we did meet a couple of those on the day with small children as well :confused:

I agree.

But I have heard people on this forum say that you should ask people at an off-lead dog park if it is OK for your dog to approach their dog. Apparently they have the right to be there even if their dog doesn't like other dogs and the onus is on you to have your dog under perfect control. By that line of thinking - your dog should not approach the child unless you check with the parents. :confused:

Quite true. And that's what most responsible owners would do. However, if a kid is running around and you have to keep your dog from going anywhere near the kid, you'll basically have to put your dog on leash. Dogs have better balance than kids. A dog doing zoomies is less likely to hurt another dog than a child. So if a dog doesn't like playing with other dogs, it is still ok for other dogs to play near that dog as long as they don't approach this dog (unless this dog is dog agressive in which case it shouldn't be at the dog park). But it is not ok for dogs to play near a running child. To keep the children safe, most responsible owners would have to put their dogs on leash or leave the park. And that would be unfair. Which is why if children come to the dog park, they should be kept close to the parents.

Agree Odin-Genie. Except that according to the sign all the dog park's we have been to, the onus is on the dog owner to ensure their dog does not cause harm to any animal, person or thing.

I have had to leave quite often because people like to eat their meat pie on the bench in the dog park or someone comes in with a pram where the basket at the bottom is filled with tasty kiddie left overs. And my beagle, no matter how much training, cannot understand why he is not entitled to some of this food :confused: So easier to just go.

To say that children should not be allowed though is ridiculous and discriminatory. So if a single Mum owns a dog and has three children under school age, then her dog will never get any off leash exercise because other people can't ensure their dog's behaviour?

As a parent, even if the onus is on the dog owner - I see it as my responsibility to protect my child as I would not want them living with something that I could have prevented. As a dog owner, if I see my dog going near a toddler (there are quite a few at our dog park) then I go and supervise my dog and make sure he doesn't start licking faces or knock them over with his wagging tail :laugh: Yes, a lot of parents just stand around and talk - but so do a lot of dog owners!!!!!!!

To the OP - you have every right to take your child with you. When I take my kids I never let them take food and they know never to try and take a toy/ball off a dog or approach a dog because they want to "pat" it. When the kids were really little I would pick them up if dogs were having zoomie time and I thought it could end in disaster. Now they know to get out of the way really quickly and stand close to the fence!!! But you sound like a responsible Mum for even asking the question and there is no reason that if both parties act responsibly that it can't be a pleasant experience for everyone.

I disagree.

I am a mum to a 4yo and a step mum to an 11yo and 14yo. I do not believe that kids should be allowed in dog parks. I take my dogs to offleash "designated" dog parks for some time out from my kids and to have some doggy time.

I have seen too many parents take their little kids to dog parks only to have their kids bowled over and the poor dog owner get abused over it. In my opinion it is not fair. I take my dogs to the dog park to do agility and often see 3-4 kids playing on the agility equipment....my dog cant even do her agility training as the parents wont ask the kids to get off......how is that fair on me or my dog? Its not.

And if it is descriminatory to not allow kids into dog parks.....isnt it also descriminatory to not allow my dog to play offlead in a kiddies play area with swings, slides etc? When I take my daughter to the kiddie park I never allow my dog near the play area. I dont even take my dogs there....as its not fair on the other parents to have to worry about my dogs.

JMO though.

Edited by Danielle

I disagree.

I am a mum to a 4yo and a step mum to an 11yo and 14yo. I do not believe that kids should be allowed in dog parks. I take my dogs to offleash "designated" dog parks for some time out from my kids and to have some doggy time.

I have seen too many parents take their little kids to dog parks only to have their kids bowled over and the poor dog owner get abused over it. In my opinion it is not fair. I take my dogs to the dog park to do agility and often see 3-4 kids playing on the agility equipment....how is that fair on me or my dog? Its not.

And if it is descriminatory to not allow kids into dog parks.....isnt it also descriminatory to not allow my dog to play offlead in a kiddies play area with swings, slides etc? When I take my daughter to the kiddie park I never allow my dog near the play area. I dont even take my dogs there....as its not fair on the other parents to have to worry about my dogs.

JMO though.

I agree Danielle. :confused:

Dog parks are not playgrounds. I can't take my dog in the kids playground, or even within a certain distance of it. I'm not a fan of young kids in dog parks. I don't think there should be a blanket no kids rule, but I do think there should be no kids allowed in unsupervised and nor should parents be allowed to let their kids treat the dog park like a playground. I've seen kids riding bikes in small off leash areas, bloody ridiculous!

Dog parks are not playgrounds. I can't take my dog in the kids playground, or even within a certain distance of it. I'm not a fan of young kids in dog parks. I don't think there should be a blanket no kids rule, but I do think there should be no kids allowed in unsupervised and nor should parents be allowed to let their kids treat the dog park like a playground. I've seen kids riding bikes in small off leash areas, bloody ridiculous!

Hey huski, i saw the funniest thing at Nudgee once....(u know that park right)

We were all there, having a grand old time, dogs doing zoomies, everyone enjoying themselves when in walks a photographer and some models.....they used the dog park as a quick access to get to the mangroves and beach for some photos....big mistake!

All of a sudden three big muddy dogs (one was mine) came bounding over and jumped all over these models who were wearing white! The photographer and the women went ballistic at us.....we just laughed and said "Well its a dog park? wat do you expect?"

I just dont understand why some people dont get it....its a bloody dog park for crying out loud! LOL! :eek:

LOL I love these threads. Maybe we should stop families owning dogs and then dog park people all over Australia can rejoice!

All of a sudden three big muddy dogs (one was mine) came bounding over and jumped all over these models who were wearing white! The photographer and the women went ballistic at us.....we just laughed and said "Well its a dog park? wat do you expect?"

Arent you meant to have your dog under control at offleash parks regardless. If my dog jumped all over someone else walking their dog I would be embarrassed.

I do not believe that kids should be allowed in dog parks. I take my dogs to offleash "designated" dog parks for some time out from my kids and to have some doggy time.

Not everyone has that option. I am a responsible dog owner and a responsible parent. My children will continue to accompany me to the dog park like it or not. Maybe I am lucky as were I take my dogs children are welcome and dogs are relatively well behaved

I dont like small kids at dog parks, We have 4 dogs, two who can be boisterous and bouncy, especially with small kids. one is scared of kids. Our local dog park is a corner of a huge park that borders the lake. We have had a close call with our boy, little boy was playing soccer with his dad (I think the kid would have been 2ish?) and Sparky thought he could go and join in, as we take a ball to play soccer with him when we are there. The dad picked up his kid, we apologised, he was fine with it and went to the other end of the park to play. Could have ended up very messy because Sparky could have knocked the little tacker out.

Edited by Dotty_17301