Grooming Advice Required

We own a labrador cross poodle. Thats right, what is commonly referred to as a 'labradoodle', although I'm well aware of the fact that such a breed does not exist. I am also aware that I am a horrid 'designer dog' owning person, however, we love our dog beyond words and look after him as if he was a third (hairy) child. I would rather not get into a debate about 'labradoodles' - i'm feeling rather delicate with a awful cold right now.

Anyway, I've been grooming him with a slicker brush, pulling the hair back so I can see the skin and then brushing right through the coat. He hates having his legs done, although i'm working on him by feeding treats to reward leg brushing. Am I using the right tool? Should I be using some sort of comb? He is a wool coat and although I brush him twice a week, he never really looks 'brushed'. I'm worried that i'll inadvertently become one of those people who takes their dog to be clipped and doesn't realise he has matted bits of fur.

Any advice about the grooming would be greatly appreciated. Comments on 'labradoodles' can be saved up for another time :D)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't stress too much about the labradoodle debate hun.

With it being a purebred forum, we aren't allowed to talk up the money mutt/designer dogs anyway. :D

So long as you recognise your dog for the two breeds that he is, there wont be a problem.

:) I think you'd have more luck with a normal pin brush or a comb, slicker brushes are really for taking out the bottom coat (that's what i use it for anyway)

Best of luck. :eek:

Bonnys right, get rid of the slicker, it will only be touching the surface a pin brush is the best. How old is your dog has he been groomed/clipped at all yet? Dont worry about him not looking like he is not brushed they do tend to have a shaggy type look to them so no matter how much you brush he will probly always look the same. Areas to concerntrate on with brushing, under ears, under arms, between toes. Im not 100% sure but if Lab x poos are like Cocker x poos, If he is under 12 months old he probly still only had his puppy coat which will change and thats when you need to start worrying about matting. Do you find him loosing any hair either dropping hair or in the brush?

Sorry forget the pin .you need a good slicker & comb.

Pin brushes are for finishing coated breeds not for that style of coat .

You need to use the slicker to brush the leg hair upwards & seperate as much as possible,then with your comb again brush upwards.

Most people fail because they brush with the cover & skim over.

With the lab/poodle cross coat & need to get to the skin & brush it out.

We groom alot of them with varying styles of coats but if they have taken to more poodle coat than anything else a good slicker & comb will do the job well BUT make sure your slicker is a soft gentle one.

Doesnt matter about the age ,brushing the puppy coat out is a must & that is what will matt no matter what the breed.

grooming is all about day 1 not 12 months

Edited by showdog

If he is under 12 months old he probly still only had his puppy coat which will change and thats when you need to start worrying about matting.

Arrrggghhh, no no NO!!! :confused: The amount of matted poodle x breed-of-the-week I've had come in for their wonderful first groom at 6 months is frightening. A coat that isn't brushed is a coat that will mat (unless you're very lucky).

I have oodles coming to me for their first clip as little as 12 weeks old. Even if you scissor the chunky bits off yourself, muffinmclay, you'll be doing yourself a world of favours if you have the coat at a manageable length. How old is the dog?

If I were you, I would find a local groomer and go in and ask them for advice as to brushing. It's a lot easier to see it done for yourself, especially if you've never had a dog before. They can recommend you a decent brand of brush, too, and show you how to clip toenails etc. Maybe call in advance to go see them at a time where they're not so busy they'll have a stress attack in your general direction, tho. Hehe. Maybe even ask them to save a bit of matted/knotty coat from another dog to show you, so you know what a mat feels like.

I agree a good slicker and a comb are the best tools. Also it is easier to see to the skin if you use a blow drier. Never wash a lab x poodle with knots!! So I would suggest if your not sure put your dryer on cool and brush against the coat so you can see the skin. Do a patch and then run the comb through and you should be able to get the comb sliding through without catching. Once you can establish what your dog feels like to brush without knots the rest will be easy.

Slicker brush and comb as above.

For a wool coat? Absolutely! Pin brushes are only used on show poodles for extremely long coat like ears, topknot and jacket.

Slicker first then follow up with a fine/medium metal comb (often called a poodle comb) to make sure you've got all the knots out. Pay particular attention to "armpits" :laugh: and around under and behind the ears.

Forget the cheap petstore slickers - they're crap. Buy a quality brand one and it will probably outlive you! :eek:

Are you using the slicker against the lie of the coat? Brush up the legs, not down. Test the slicker on your bare arm. If it's uncomfortable for you, it will be for the dog too.. as I said, get a good one. :laugh:

Edited by poodlefan

Forget the cheap petstore slickers - they're crap. Buy a quality brand one and it will probably outlive you! :eek:

I agree, I use Lawrence brand ones and the only reason I have ever had to get another one was because I left my first one out one day and Ruff chewed the handle :laugh:

What everyone else said - if money is no object you could try a Les Pooch slicker and a good comb. If you are looking for a plush finish as opposed to curly you need to use a proffessional dog dryer and brush as the dog dries.

If he is under 12 months old he probly still only had his puppy coat which will change and thats when you need to start worrying about matting.

Arrrggghhh, no no NO!!! :eek: The amount of matted poodle x breed-of-the-week I've had come in for their wonderful first groom at 6 months is frightening. A coat that isn't brushed is a coat that will mat (unless you're very lucky).

I have oodles coming to me for their first clip as little as 12 weeks old. Even if you scissor the chunky bits off yourself, muffinmclay, you'll be doing yourself a world of favours if you have the coat at a manageable length. How old is the dog?

If I were you, I would find a local groomer and go in and ask them for advice as to brushing. It's a lot easier to see it done for yourself, especially if you've never had a dog before. They can recommend you a decent brand of brush, too, and show you how to clip toenails etc. Maybe call in advance to go see them at a time where they're not so busy they'll have a stress attack in your general direction, tho. Hehe. Maybe even ask them to save a bit of matted/knotty coat from another dog to show you, so you know what a mat feels like.

I didn't mean or say you don't have to brush them, what I mean was that it is around that time that the matts/knots usually appear while the adult coat is coming through and from then on if regular care of the coat is not maintained.

Good advice about heading to a groomers.

I guess it really depends how long you want to keep the coat and how much upkeep you want to do. I keep my lot reasonable short (more so in summer) as we are out and about a lot, swimming, parks and lots of off lead runs etc, so shorter coats are easier to maintain.

Hey groomer people, can you recommend a good brand of nail clipper? I really hate those cheap ones that just sort of crush the nail and splinter it. The vet is the only person who has clipped my pups nails, but Ill have to do them soon and I want a nice sharp pair that will just get the job done. Also where would I be likely to buy them?

Hey groomer people, can you recommend a good brand of nail clipper? I really hate those cheap ones that just sort of crush the nail and splinter it. The vet is the only person who has clipped my pups nails, but Ill have to do them soon and I want a nice sharp pair that will just get the job done. Also where would I be likely to buy them?

I like the Shear Magic ones.

I have a poodle cross too. She's a lovely ex-pound dog - and no-one has shot me on DOL yet!

I would suggest using a good detangling grooming spray while you brush. Makes it a lot easier and smoother and you pull less on the hair so more comfortable for the dog.

I also use a good slicker followed by a steel pin comb. And have finally got the hang of line brushing - using one hand to hold the hair away from you so there is a part in the hair that forms a line. You brush the hair that sits below the line, then move the line progressively away from you along the dog so that you release a little bit of unbrushed hair at a time, brush that then release a bit more. Makes it easier and you don't miss bits that way.

I agree with all of the above - though i doubt as a pet owner she would be using a dryer on the dog??

Carefull with the grooming sprays they work a treat but some can leave the coat greasy if over used so just lightly spray but a great idea :cry:

And pls MAKE SURE U BRUSH THE TAIL!! the amount of 'oodles i do at work that the body and head and ears all GREAT but the tail is a complete clip off and when u tell the owner why they go 'OMG i never thought about that!' LOL

Let us know what tools u decide on and how you go ? :cry:

I agree with all of the above - though i doubt as a pet owner she would be using a dryer on the dog??

Why not? Way before I was a professional groomer I always used our hand held dryer to blow dry our dogs after grooming. Much better than having a wet mess running around the house that ends up in tangles. Not to mention a great way to see down to the dogs skin.

Thanks for the advice guys. I think if I pulled the dryer on my dog he would freak out completely, so we will stick with the 'run like a crazy dog around the house after bath' drying method :thumbsup:

I'm going to head to my local pet supplies store after Good Friday and get myself one of those dematting rake things and a steel comb. I had a go at plucking the ear hair myself the other day and expected resistance, but my guys just layed there and let me do it, so it can't have hurt to much.