Kibble Recommendations?

Jetty

One of my tibbie girls doesn't have great tolerance for wheat-cereal in products.

Our good vet recommended Advance Turkey & Rice kibble for small breeds.

She & her tib 'sister' have thrived on it. Done better than any other kibble I've given them.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What would people recommend for a picky eater? UB/UA is a bit hard to source from where I am at the moment. She is a fox terrier and nearlly 9 years old. She has been only picking at the dry food but she will scouff down any meats I give her.

What would people recommend for a picky eater? UB/UA is a bit hard to source from where I am at the moment. She is a fox terrier and nearlly 9 years old. She has been only picking at the dry food but she will scouff down any meats I give her.

Any good quality seniors food. ;)

I feed Advance.

One girl I have here does not like the large kibble, so she gets small breed. The others are on just normal adult. There is also Turkey/Rice as well as Chicken.

For picky eaters, a half teaspoon of vegemite mixed with water and pour over the kibble. I have also used gravy style tinned food, about a dessert spoon mixed through the kibble. I personally do not like tinned food, but have resorted to it when I have had really finicky eaters.

I feed Advance.

One girl I have here does not like the large kibble, so she gets small breed. The others are on just normal adult. There is also Turkey/Rice as well as Chicken.

For picky eaters, a half teaspoon of vegemite mixed with water and pour over the kibble. I have also used gravy style tinned food, about a dessert spoon mixed through the kibble. I personally do not like tinned food, but have resorted to it when I have had really finicky eaters.

Well you see she is my parents dog and has always been feed on the tinned foods from the supermarket. She gobbles them down but I have been trying to improve her diet with better dry food and chicken necks. She will eat the chicken necks but only a little bit of the dry food. I will try the gravy or vegemite!

Hi All,

This is interesting to read.

Can I ask if you guys have had any experience at how this brand goes with dogs that get an upset tummy easily. I feed my dogs mainly meat, bones, pasta, rice and a bit of veges, yoghurt, egg, etc - but would like a kibble that I can mix in with it to beef it out a bit. Problem is my boy seems to have a pretty bad stomach when it comes to processed or rich foods - he gets the runs bad......I tried supercoat before and it didn't go too well - haven't really tried any others but always interested in the threads about this. My girl is all good - I think she could eat lead bullets and be ok - LOL.

Hi All,

Can I ask if you guys have had any experience at how this brand goes with dogs that get an upset tummy easily. I feed my dogs mainly meat, bones, pasta, rice and a bit of veges, yoghurt, egg, etc - but would like a kibble that I can mix in with it to beef it out a bit. Problem is my boy seems to have a pretty bad stomach when it comes to processed or rich foods - he gets the runs bad......I tried supercoat before and it didn't go too well - haven't really tried any others but always interested in the threads about this. My girl is all good - I think she could eat lead bullets and be ok - LOL.

Well, my tibbie girl was a chronic 'thrower upper' of most of the commercial kibbles. Either that, or she wouldn't eat them.

That's when my vet recommended Advance Turkey & Rice kibble for small breed dogs. She eats every bit & doesn't throw up any more.

I mix a ittle lightly cooked chicken breast & some veggies in with it.

Hi All,

If your dog is always fed that, then it is possible no matter what dry kibble you start off with, it can upset the stomach. There are brands/types that are supposed to do those with sensitive stomachs.

I would try a chicken/turkey base kibble over a beef one.

Mix a very small amount in first and gradually increase the amount of kibble depending on how your dog copes with it.

Even when changing brands, you are supposed to mix a little of the new in with the old and gradually increase the new while decreasing the old to assist in alleviating stomach upsets.

I am interested to try Uncle Albers, but would also like to know what the 'output matter' is like. I have been feeding Bonnie to all my labs and find they do well on it, but their poos (output) is not very pleasant, often quite loose & smelly and a fair bit of it!!! Has anyone found with Uncle Albers it is firmer & less of it!

Just to add, my dogs get a combination of dry & raw!

Edited by shellbyville

• 2 weeks later...
I am interested to try Uncle Albers, but would also like to know what the 'output matter' is like. I have been feeding Bonnie to all my labs and find they do well on it, but their poos (output) is not very pleasant, often quite loose & smelly and a fair bit of it!!! Has anyone found with Uncle Albers it is firmer & less of it!

Just to add, my dogs get a combination of dry & raw!

I have just opened our first bag of Uncle Alber's here, as we were feeding Eagle Pack but just can't afford to keep 10+ dogs on it. All of the dogs have happily eaten the Uncle Alber's this morning (mixed with their old food, of course).

The only thing that concerns me is that when I checked the protein & fat content on the shelf the label showed Protein 24% and Fat 12%, which I thought was a reasonable figure - however once I went to cut the bag open I noticed a small yellow sticker that had been placed on the bag and it reads "new improved analysis - Protein 28% and Fat 14%" :laugh: . That is a bit higher than I would like to be feeding to my young large dogs, so I am going to have to watch their quantities very carefully and perhaps keep mixing it with something lower in protein and fat.

I have just changed from Bonnie to Uncle Albers (with my adult labs), I still have a 4month old pup on Bonnie puppy! My bag says 24% protein, and there is nothing inside that says to the contrary. I am in the process of changing a 10 mth old lab from puppy to adult so wouldn't want the protein content to be any higher! (I couldn't find any sticker inside the pack saying what yours did - the Ark).

My labs love the Uncle Albers, although they love any kibble, I think I could feed them the cheapest variety and they would scoff it down, however I am after something that they do well on, that isn't too hard on the wallet, and that doesn't leave huge mounds of poo all over my yard! So far so good with Uncle Albers!!!

I pay $35 for a 22kg bag which I think is pretty good!

No change in my food either. I purchased a 22kg bag of UA last Tuesday for $32.65.

Nothing has changed, output is the same. Reasonably compact, holds together. No voluminous fluffy surprises.

Might mention too that DOLer Huganewf saw one of my dogs that is being fed UA last weekend. I think she was impressed. :laugh:

I am feeding Artemis - which is wheat free but my dogs hate it and their coats are dry and awful. I am going to try Nutro Lamb and rice next as it is also wheat free and there is now a local supplier so I can pick it up.

I had them on Advance most of their first year and then changed to Supercoat but gave the bag away as their poo output doubled (maybe even tripled).

I wanted to stick to wheat free as my guys had ear problems (even though it wasnt related to allergies I am trying to prevent them)

I have just changed from Bonnie to Uncle Albers (with my adult labs), I still have a 4month old pup on Bonnie puppy! My bag says 24% protein, and there is nothing inside that says to the contrary. I am in the process of changing a 10 mth old lab from puppy to adult so wouldn't want the protein content to be any higher! (I couldn't find any sticker inside the pack saying what yours did - the Ark).

Hmmm, I may contact the company. I'm just wondering if there was only a particular batch with higher ratios for some reason or another??? The sticker was on the outside of the bag, but obviously on the side that I didn't look at when it was lying flat on the shelf at the produce store. It was odd that they would print up a sticker and whack it on, rather than change the printing on the bags if it is a planned, permanent change.... :rofl: I certainly don't want the protein to be that high either, so may feed this lot to my high-energy dogs (the greyhounds and Aussie Shepherds).

I am feeding Artemis - which is wheat free but my dogs hate it and their coats are dry and awful. I am going to try Nutro Lamb and rice next as it is also wheat free and there is now a local supplier so I can pick it up.

I had them on Advance most of their first year and then changed to Supercoat but gave the bag away as their poo output doubled (maybe even tripled).

I wanted to stick to wheat free as my guys had ear problems (even though it wasnt related to allergies I am trying to prevent them)

From memory the Royal Canin GSD one is also wheat free - and of course is fine for other breeds :laugh:

I feed Advance.

Well you see she is my parents dog and has always been feed on the tinned foods from the supermarket. She gobbles them down but I have been trying to improve her diet with better dry food and chicken necks. She will eat the chicken necks but only a little bit of the dry food. I will try the gravy or vegemite!

forget the gravy and Vegemite and mix in some sardines or tuna, a little yogurt aswell maybe,

Hmmm, I may contact the company. I'm just wondering if there was only a particular batch with higher ratios for some reason or another??? The sticker was on the outside of the bag, but obviously on the side that I didn't look at when it was lying flat on the shelf at the produce store. It was odd that they would print up a sticker and whack it on, rather than change the printing on the bags if it is a planned, permanent change.... :( I certainly don't want the protein to be that high either, so may feed this lot to my high-energy dogs (the greyhounds and Aussie Shepherds).

I've just started my guys on It today, and It's got the same sticker on the outside of pack with the new Improved formula, I won't be following their recommended feed amounts or I'll end up with Kegs on legs :cheer:

Also noticed how so much heavier the bag was compared to others, I'm hoping they all do well on It or It's back to finding something else.

I'll be interested to hear what others think of the UA once their dogs have been on it a while -my GSD loves it, and my BC puppy is forever trying to get into it! And our Foster Greyhound loved it too and it really puts the weight on them! At the moment i'm giving Sophie probably 2/3 of the recommended daily amount and she's looking beautiful on it - the full amount they recommend is just too much and i'd end up with a fatty if I let that continue.

From memory the Royal Canin GSD one is also wheat free - and of course is fine for other breeds :thumbsup:

The Ep Holistic Select range is also wheat free :thumbsup: