No Dogs At Cafes. Not Happy!

pixie_meg

You mean the hairs and the cockies in the sangers?

There are very few zoonotic diseases you can catch from dogs at cafes (none!!) , and I don't believe there has ever been an incident with a dog in a cafe.

Where I live (Q) dogs aren't allowed. Half the parks in my neighbourhood are banned to on leash dogs too, and it seems every year, another one is added to the list. We have off leash parks, but you can't cut from street A to B through a park if the dog is with you. Shame.

I took my dog to Vic with me, and did some touring, she was welcome everywhere. She thought she was cafe society at the end of it!! As with most dogs who visit cafes, she was well behaved, despite not having been to one before, and every other dog was too.

Shame. Dogs are being cut out of our daily lives more and more.

There was a thread on dogz some time ago, and I noticed that the majority were not in favour of dogs in cafes, which surprised me, coming from dog owners.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I was surprised too Jed you would think that people who live and breathe dogs would know that health risks posed by them are pretty minor and as long as you don't let them lick your plate while you're still eating from it you are generally pretty safe :( Actually I'm pretty sure the only major health risks transferrable from dogs to humans is worms which again you have to ingest for them to enter your body.

It's not even the hairs and cockies on the sangers that are the big issues in food industries it's just basic hygiene, handwashing and food preparation surface and utensil cleaning. But from memory the biggest single factor which is often brought up in audits is temperature control - it's frightening how many people don't recognise the importance of temperature regulation.

I often go to Warwick eventing but since EI they brought in a 'no dog' rule, according to their website this is for 'safety and infection control', now we could argue about the safety of dogs and horses for ever and a day but I'm very interested to know which infection the no dog rule is meant to be controlling since the Powers That Be are adamant that we have regained EI free status? Just another example of dogs being excluded which is a PITA because I used to love Warwick :rofl:

Them that know better, seem to think that we should live in a sterile world.

Yet everyone here who has posted is so right. Some people in the food industry have no idea on basic hygiene yet they serve us food!!!

Oh and I thought that dogs licking plates was all part of doing the dishes.

Well, I wasn't going to go the salmonella sandwich or e coli burger route!! :( And then there is the bain marie --

You can catch worms and ringworm from the dog, but you have to make a special effort to get them.

Oh and I thought that dogs licking plates was all part of doing the dishes.

Part of it? You mean there's more? Plates are always clean when my lot finish, but I never let them lick the plates in cafes, you never know what nasty germs they might pick up :rofl:

Edited by Jed

A few years ago the health regulations were changed here in SA banning dogs from outdoor cafes. Had me stumped because birds can still poo on the tables :rofl: The ban eventually got squashed because outdoor cafes/pubs etc were losing business from doggy people :(

Hope the new laws get squashed up your way :(

Let's do something about it then.

One of my favourite things to do when I lived in Melbourne was to jump on the train to Flinders Street, and walk across to Southbank. With my dog.

We would order a pasta from an outdoor restaurant, and the dog would be brought a bowl of water and an almond biscuit.

Very civilised, I would even dress up in a nice dress and promenade along the waterfront showing off my lovely dog, before we got the train back home.

In Ippy? Have to do it before I move then. It'll have to be Sonny though Zen is nowhere near civillized enough :(

No, I mean get the law changed, not take the dogs to a cafe in Ippy. You seem to know all about food safety, what is the board we need to lobby to to get a regulation changed?

I don't want to be booted from a third venue with my dog. :rofl:

But we can still have our picnics in off-lead parks (even if so many people think its a stupid idea) so we should have one soon. :(

I enjoy taking my dogs to the cafes along eastern beach here in Geelong. It's very dog friendly along there. Plus the dog owners I've seen are very sensible with their dogs.

I'm beginning to think QLD is an entirely different country to the rest of Australia.

Edited by whippets

I enjoy taking my dogs to the cafes along eastern beach here in Geelong. It's very dog friendly along there. Plus the dog owners I've seen are very sensible with their dogs.

I'm beginning to think QLD is an entirely different country to the rest of Australia.

Yeah. It might well be.

In Ippy? Have to do it before I move then. It'll have to be Sonny though Zen is nowhere near civillized enough :laugh:

No, I mean get the law changed, not take the dogs to a cafe in Ippy. You seem to know all about food safety, what is the board we need to lobby to to get a regulation changed?

I don't want to be booted from a third venue with my dog. ;)

But we can still have our picnics in off-lead parks (even if so many people think its a stupid idea) so we should have one soon. :happydance:

Definetly! I need to get Sonny out and make sure he doesn't have any mental scars from his ordeal at that other park. I'll PM you :grouphug:

My knowledge of food safety is from a practical and microbiological perspective so I'm not entirely up with which departments are responsible for that although it may come under Safe Food Qld? From my experience with them they aren't all that clued up on micro stuff either, they made a rule that all small butchers had to get a sample of each product tested but then failed to elaborate which particular tests they were after (there is a multitude of tests you can test meat for some of those tests are really expensive and irrelevant for most applications), it's a stupid rule anyway since once sample is unlikely to tell you much but hey as long as it looks like they are doing something they don't care if the poor old butcher has to fork out for pointless bacterial testing.

Personally, it doesn't bother me if the dogs are well behaved and seated outside.

The Powerhouse's Watt cafe at New Farm has always been very welcoming of dogs, I wonder if they still are? Might have to take Daisy down there next time the markets are on to see if we can still sit there.

Edited by huski

I just don't get why humans in Australia are so much more feeble and prone to such poor health than humans in the USA, Europe or the UK. I mean, apparently you can travel with your dog/s overseas and they're allowed in hotel rooms, and in restaurants, and in public transport, and you don't exactly see headlines of masses of people coming down with something because of other people's dogs. Yet in this country, my goodness! "You can't possibly mean you want your dog to stay inside the room with you, we just couldn't allow that," is something I've heard more than one motel owner/operator state and they cite "health regulations" as being responsible for that position. I wonder how people with allergies who live overseas (in more dog friendly places) can manage their debilitating illnesses, being as they are, surrounded by dogs, when the same illness here triggers such a wave of sympathy and an automatic ban of dogs from pretty much every public space imaginable. :cry:

Melbourne has to be the most dog-friendly capital city we've lived in. Dogs are allowed on public transport, in some restaurant and cafe type establishments and in many holiday places including inside hotel rooms. Most cafes in certain areas have dog water bowls put out the front and some residents also leave dog water bowls out for people walking their dogs in the area. It's a real pity the rest of Australia can't follow this excellent lead. And I'm convinced that QLD is just so far behind the times because of the restrictions placed on dog owners for no good reason; it makes no sense at all. :(

Unfortunately most places around here arent dog friendly either :cry: If i am with my pet and i am not allowed to sit and enjoy a coffee with him then i wont sit, i simply order the coffee and go to a near by park or somewhere we can spend time together.

I'd rather be with him then without him.

Plenty of dogs at the Emerald bakery/cafe. Never heard anyone complaining. Nice to see all the different dogs, including Jet, another Gap grey. Some very nice BCs seem to be pretty regular; very well behaved.

A few years ago the health regulations were changed here in SA banning dogs from outdoor cafes. Had me stumped because birds can still poo on the tables :bolt:

You're right!

Maybe dog owners in Brisbane need to protest about this ban:

Birds can do it.

Bees can do it,

So why can't well-controlled dogs do it...

Visit outdoor cafes, that is.

Edited by mita

A few years ago the health regulations were changed here in SA banning dogs from outdoor cafes. Had me stumped because birds can still poo on the tables :thanks:

You're right!

Maybe dog owners in Brisbane need to protest about this ban:

Birds can do it.

Bees can do it,

So why can't well-controlled dogs do it...

Visit outdoor cafes, that is.

:confused: