Breed Suggestions For A Child/teenage Owner

Jodi1981

Hi Everyone :laugh:

My 10 year old daughter is dog obsessed and had been for years. After lengthy discussions we as a family have decided that she will be allowed her own dog when she turns 12 IF she can prove she is responsible enough for one. She has duties for our current dog that she must remember etc. and she must do all reading etc. to prepare for owning and training a dog. She has already started saving her pocket money towards this dog even though my husband and I will be covering the costs of the dog and any necessary costs she wants to contribute to immunisation/puppy school/obedience class etc. expenses. She is quite mature even for a 10 year old and I feel she will certainly be responsible enough in 2 years time.

We will be using these 2 years to research breeds and to prepare for the puppy. She will be responsible for vet visits (under supervision of course), puppy school, obedience classes, grooming and walking.

I am after suggestions of what breeds would be better for a child/teenage handler (hard to believe she's nearly a teenager :thumbsup: ), obviously I would like a smallish dog (so have given a GSD a define "no" already) as I just don't think she would have the strength to hold a larger breed pup (I myself think I would have trouble holding onto a exhuberant larger breed pup - picture a small fat woman being pulled along behind an over-excited german shepard :eek: ). We got our Lab as an adult so didn't have to deal with the rambunctious (spelling?) teenage Lab and I also don't think she would be a strong enough leader for a Lab either.

So, so far we have on the list : Chihuahua, Fox Terrior or Jack Russell Terrier and she likes the looks of the Smooth Colllie's although I haven't done much research etc. on these so not sure if the would be suitable. I think she would prefer a smooth coat for easier grooming etc. Dog will be mostly inside.

By then we will have (god willing) a 10 year old Labrador and a (roughly) 2 year old cavalier.

Any suggestion would be appreciated as would any book/reading suggestions that would be appropriate for her. Once we decide on a breed we will be joining the appropriate breed club/getting books etc. She has 2 years of research ahead of her so she will be well prepared once the time comes (although I'm thinking toilet training and getting up at 3am is gonna be an eye opener for her ;) ).

Thanks in advance for any help :rofl:

Jodi

My suggestion, having been through this with my daughter, is to let her do the research. My daughter did that, we visited some dog shows to see the dogs, and talk to exhibitors. She wanted a "girly" dog, and although I plugged Cocker Spaniels, she got her Cavalier. :eek:

Remember too, that when the dog is middle aged,your daughter will be 18. Mine toddled off to uni, and I got the dog. This is not a problem, but worth consideration.

Also consider that she might like to show the dog, or do obedience or flyball or even earthdog or some sort of competition with it, and that will influence your choice too.

Edited by Jed

My suggestion, having been through this with my daughter, is to let her do the research. My daughter did that, we visited some dog shows to see the dogs, and talk to exhibitors. She wanted a "girly" dog, and although I plugged Cocker Spaniels, she got her Cavalier. :thumbsup:

Remember too, that when the dog is middle aged,your daughter will be 18. Mine toddled off to uni, and I got the dog. This is not a problem, but worth consideration.Think about your lifestyle too, and hers.

Yep I've thought about that too and I've got no problem keeping the dog, our gorgeous girl Shar (Labrador) will most likely unfortunately be over the bridge by then so her dog will keep my Cavalier company, if she takes it with her then I guess I have an excuse to get another dog :eek: When I moved out of home I took my dog with me (had her since I turned 13) and my mother visited everyday.....to see the dog!! ;)

I'm going to suggest a Whippet. They are very popular with kids at shows for Junior Handler dogs. Smooth coat, not too strong, love being inside.

If your daughter changes her mind about the smooth coat, a Japanese Spitz or a Border Collie would both suit a 12 year old.

Go to some shows, look at the dogs and talk to the breeders.

I don't often recommend my own breed, but have you considered one of the corgi breeds?

A bit bigger than some of the breeds you mentioned, but being a herding breed, still quite easy to train ( I train in obedience and agility with my girl) The Pembrokes, in my limited experience, and from what I've read, are friendlier on acquiantance, but can be a bit more dominant in nature, the Cardigans are more laid back, but also more suspicious of strangers.

They do shed - a lot!- but don't require huge amounts of grooming, and most of the ones I've known, if raised with them, enjoy kids. My girl holds her own with the big dogs, but will play quite happily with small dogs as well.

Just something a bit different for you and your daughter to consider...

can you have 3 dogs in your council???

Many councils have dog limits so something to keep in mind.

There are so many breeds that would be suitable.

I would suggest going to some dogs shows & having a look,

Out of interest what breeds does she like(even if there not suitable )

Will the dog be inside/outside??

Do you want a breed that comes with grooming expenses or easy care

What is she hoping for this dog(cuddly/walking/not much walking/fetching/retrieving balls etc etc.

How much coat brushing would she realistically want to do

I don't often recommend my own breed, but have you considered one of the corgi breeds?

A bit bigger than some of the breeds you mentioned, but being a herding breed, still quite easy to train ( I train in obedience and agility with my girl) The Pembrokes, in my limited experience, and from what I've read, are friendlier on acquiantance, but can be a bit more dominant in nature, the Cardigans are more laid back, but also more suspicious of strangers.

They do shed - a lot!- but don't require huge amounts of grooming, and most of the ones I've known, if raised with them, enjoy kids. My girl holds her own with the big dogs, but will play quite happily with small dogs as well.

I was thinking the same thing. I grew up on a farm so there were always plenty of dogs around but when I wanted my own, we got a Corgi. Loved him.

Just remember that you will ultimately be responsible for the dog. It might be 'hers', but really that means it's yours and she is taking the front line of day to day care - and you pick up the slack if/when she doesn't step up. Teenage years are not known for bringing out the 'responsible side' of most kids.

But so long as you're aware of and prepared for all of that, I think giving a child a close connection to a dog and having them committed to its care is a really good and positive thing.

My daughters are 17 and one wants a dog now. I've had to remind her that by the time the dog is old she'll be 30. So much happens in the intervening years...

I think Jed's suggestion is great - take her to a dog show and show her the full range of what is out there. Talk to some breeders with her. Then let her do research online about temperaments, grooming requirements etc. and work it out for herself (with guidance of course!). Some breeds would actually require you to be on a waiting list for a while.

The Swedish Vallhund might suit your daughter, a very intelligent active dog that is fairly small 15kg, easy care coat. They are a herding dog, so intelligent, very owner focussed, friendly, happy small dog. I looked into getting one for my daughter.

I was thinking the same thing. I grew up on a farm so there were always plenty of dogs around but when I wanted my own, we got a Corgi. Loved him.

+ 1 here. We had a Corgi as kids and she was awesome!! Sturdy, loyal, lovable, energetic etc etc, I ask myself why have I never had another......and I think it's cos I like the brachy breeds. :(

I got a JRT as 'my' first dog when I was 16, I still have her and she will be 9 this year, and while I love her to death, I wouldnt recommend the breed for someone who has never 'owned' a dog before, We had always had family dogs so its not as though I had never been around dogs. They are very full on and require a huge commitment as far as training goes, I know all dogs require a commitment but JRTs require years of constant training to keep them in check

What other breeds doees she like the look and temperament of? Is she interested in doing any sports?

Another one to consider: Schipperke. Small size, easy care coat, very cute, spitz type appearance.

Why don't you use the next 2 years as your daughters' traineeship seeing as you have a young Cavalier sitting there?? :(

You might decide on another Cavalier or else your daughter might decide that having "her own" dog is a lot of work! LOL :(

As for breed suggestions, funnily enough I was thinking a Swedish Vallhund would be a good idea too!

Or a Tibetan Spaniel? :rofl:

Talking about full on, I just got a border collie puppy. As you already know, border collie is a working dog and ALWAYS wants to play and run about so much. Being a 21 year old male, it's a bit hard for me to keep him off some things I don't want him to do so I am not sure whether it's really controllable by a 12 year old. But He is a nice little boy who doesn't cry a lot and learn fast(my puppy but every dog is different). I went to puppy pre school and the dog trainer warned me about BC jumping on people.

You might want to look at Shetland Sheepdog(sheltie) and Japanese Spitz. They are wonderful breeds. Sheltie is lovely and very friendly. Highly suggest as jap spitz is low maintenance and beautiful. They will not grow too big so it's goodz My gf and I wanted to try big dogs as she already owned toy poodles before, if not sheltie and jap spitz is on our list.

What other breeds doees she like the look and temperament of? Is she interested in doing any sports?

Another one to consider: Schipperke. Small size, easy care coat, very cute, spitz type appearance.

A very good point, now is a good time for her to start thinking about the puppies training, does she want to get involved with any dog sports or will the puppy simply be a pet? Id be encouraging her to get involved in a sport, agility and flyball come to mind, it will really help with her control of the dog