Meeting A Potentially "aggressive" Dog

Whippetsmum

There have been several posts lately that describe people being approached by dogs that have been aggressive/they percieve as potentially aggressive. Some situations turned out well, while others have been less fortunate.

My question is,

If you and your dog are approached by a dog that seems to be aggressive, or you fear may be aggressive, are there any basic strategies or rules of thumb that will lead to a more positive outcome? I am more interested in terms of the dogs behaviour, than dealing with the owner ie: what I should do with my dog, how I respond to the dog eg: body language.

In my case I only walk my dog on a leash and go to leashed areas. So far I have always been lucky to avoid unaccompanied dogs; and so far because there has been an owner in the vicinity, I ask the owner of the dog to leash him or her, or call their dog. One owner did complain that calling to her would set her dog off, (she was 50m away and her dog was within 5m of me), luckily she was wrong on that occasion. I always stand still and bring my dog in beside me on a shorter (not tight) leash until the approaching dog is under control, or I get a feeling on how my dog is responding, as he seems more fluent in dog body language than I am.

Some people mention getting between the 2 dogs and making an authoritative stance, some people mention carrying a stick, others picking up their dog. Are any of these strategies likley to backfire, is there anything behaviour wise that will inflame a dog, or is it not possible to generalise.

I'm sorry if this seems too "newbie" but I am genuinely interested, and apologise if this has been covered eleswhere, I tried a search, if anyone has links to previous topics that would be great.

Yes I wonder also! :cry: I always planned on stepping in front of Shyla and standing brave and tall and giving off an alpha energy and saying "NO" or "AHHH ARHHHH" making deep scary noises but not sure if that's good in theory :eek:

I have had a couple of dogs display what I would call threatening behaviour (more just dominant, not out and out aggressive) when approaching, I have tried the above and found it works. I have been pissed off that the dog is offlead and being "allowed" to behave like that so obviously they get the message. :eek:

Unfortunately I have had a couple of occasions in the past where an offlead dog has actually had a go and I have just reacted instinctively and kicked the dog and yelled at it. That wasnt very successful and I was lucky both times that the other owner was able to get their dog.

I dont think I would have been able to react any other way- it was quick, unexpected and I just responded without thinking trying to protect my dog (the second time from the ground in the middle of the 2 dogs :eek: ) .

I too am wondering about this. I have a little dog, so I am totally paranoid about off lead dogs.

I have thought about what I would do if a big dog came up wanting to attack Georgea, I was going to put myself on top of her to stop a dog from being able to get to her. But after reading about that dog attack last Sunday, when a lady in Maitland was walking her little maltese and a big crossbreed came up to them to attack the dog. She placed herself on top of the dog, and was severly bitten and the x bred got the little dog and walked off with it in its mouth. :eek: :eek: :eek:

So I would love to know what to do if this was to happen to me and Georgea.

After my dog was attacked 3 times by off lead dogs just walking around the streets, whenever I see a dog being walked off lead, I quickly turn around & head up to the nearest corner & just hope that the dog doesn't follow us, so far that has worked.

If the approaching dog has aggressive body language, I step forward and growl at it/them to 'go home'. If the dogs don't have someone with them I'll yell loud when doing so too, in the hope someone comes out from one of the houses and gets their dogs - but they never have.

My scariest instances have involved pairs of unaccompanied dogs running loose, in three cases my stance has caused the dogs to back off or at least hold their distance. In one case it had no effect at all, the charging dogs (GSD's so not small), split up to circle around me and closed in on my dogs. I have big dogs so I judged the best I could do was give them loose leads and let them respond, and they saw the attacking dogs off. I'd have joined in and kicked the attackers if needed.

I've also had my dogs menaced by dogs off-leash with a handler, in which case I tell the owners to call them. If they are really trying to get their dog/s back I just keep my dogs calm until that happens. If the other owners don't bother I tell them I will not stop my dogs retailiating if they are bitten. That usually causes them to take a good hard look at my dogs and decide to get their dogs after all.

Not all loose dogs around here are aggressive, I find I can usually tell by the dog's body language and by how my dogs are reacting if I need to worry or not. If the dog is friendly my dogs will not respond badly. And if they are just carrying on but not intending to do anything I just turn my dogs to face them and they back away.

I don't know what I would do if my dogs were small. I think I just wouldn't walk around here, I have about one bad encounter a month these days.

Edited by Diva

You also have to remember most dogs are NOT human aggressive and if you can break their fix on your dog they will back off (guess thats the 'owning' that Ceasar talks about). Thats why getting in front of your dog and growling and yelling etc should drive a dog off. I got so sick of a couple of shh tzus that they charged me from a distance and I charged them... I won they turned and ran for it about ametre away. Then there was the loose SWF that growled at us and I drove it away from us to try and avoid it thinking it had chased us from its area (this one was to the side not directly in front but walkig past would have left it out of sight).

Human aggressive dogs will eyeball you and display behaviour towards you and not your dog - I have come across one dog like this and we just kept walking at the same pace on the path (it was in the middle of a road) as I told it to GGGIIIIIIITTTTT in a growl that matched it. Once we were past what it considered its territory it stopped and went back to the yard it came from (its deputy got around behind us and followed at a distance til again we passed that invisible boundary).

Yes I wonder also! :eek: I always planned on stepping in front of Shyla and standing brave and tall and giving off an alpha energy and saying "NO" or "AHHH ARHHHH" making deep scary noises but not sure if that's good in theory :bolt:

Yup, had to do it many times and it's always worked. The only time I've had a problem was when the dog came from behind and I didn't have time to get between them.

Unfortunately for me if a dog attacks my boy goes into attack mode immediately. It is quite scary. I just avoid people with dogs that I don't know.

He is very social & well behaved with good dogs just not rude or aggressive ones. I have had a couple of instances that have been quite scary. I'm just lucky that my dog is obedient and can be called off. The other dog owners have a lot to learn and then get all upset when your dog fights back. It's a joke really.

Yes I wonder also! :cry: I always planned on stepping in front of Shyla and standing brave and tall and giving off an alpha energy and saying "NO" or "AHHH ARHHHH" making deep scary noises but not sure if that's good in theory :bolt:

Yup, had to do it many times and it's always worked. The only time I've had a problem was when the dog came from behind and I didn't have time to get between them.

I do the same as well, always step up and give a growly "GIT OUT OF IIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTT" and they usually bugger off. If the dog showed signs of human agression instead of just trying to get to my dog, I would probably still get between them - my dog is my responsiblity. It is my job to keep them safe, and I'll stand between any threat and them whenever I can. I know its probably not the smartest thing, but its just the way I am, and so far we've been alright! :eek:

A side story - When I was younger my horse and I were getting bailed up by an ACD that was loose around the corner from the stables - Jimmy (my horse) was petrified of dogs and I was young, getting upset and convinced he'd make a run for it and it'd all be over. I wasn't riding, just had him on a lead beside the road having a pick at the grass. When the dog got about 5-10m away from us, he ripped the lead out of my hand, charged past me and chased the dog down the road, then came trotting back to me so I could catch him and went back to his eating. For the rest of the time I had him, he was petrified of dogs, just as he had been before that day. It was a truly amazing moment....he could have easily taken off in the other direction which was honestly what I was expecting!!!

One thing - I'm also 99.9% aware of what is around on walks - I wont go to an offleash park and its rare to find an unleashed dog in my area - usually a quick shout of "mate - there is a ranger round the corner, put a lead on your dog. He almost caught me without a lead and he's giving out fines" has people putting their dog on a lead - although I wonder what they think when they get around the corner and there is no ranger there :doh: . I dont really want to have an argument with them about leashing their dog, or talk to them about it. I just want their dog on a lead. I find if I am out walking with other people they tend not to pay as much attention as I do - they dont look ahead and get a surprise when there is a loose dog in their face, which probably scares their dog a bit as well.

Edited by PuddleDuck

Well, putting yourself between the incoming aggressive dog and your own dog has been fairly successful for me, but it depends on one major factor - that being that your dog will defer to you entirely.

I say this because a little while ago, I was trying to help a friend protect her small dogs, but, we realised fairly quickly that unless you can get your dog to basically completely ignore the other dog and just wait for you to handle it, it's pretty futile. Although her dogs never initiated anything, they do respond when affronted with aggressive behaviour and ridiculously, they try and fight back even when the dog is like 5 times their size. In these instances, we found it impossible to get the attention of the attacking dog. She's never been a keen dog trainer, and given that she refuses to change, I really have no idea how to advise her.

However, with my own large dog, I haven't had any issues as he basically ignores everything so long as I'm calm. Except that you have to be on your toes and ready. As soon as you see another dog staring at yours, I get mine to sit behind me looking away, and I stare intently back at the other dog until they break eye contact. Never been challenged myself.

a quick shout of "mate - there is a ranger round the corner, put a lead on your dog. He almost caught me without a lead and he's giving out fines" has people putting their dog on a lead - although I wonder what they think when they get around the corner and there is no ranger there :( . I dont really want to have an argument with them about

I thought about writing to the local paper and asking if it was true that council was using plain clothes rangers to record off leashers, follow them home and then fine them.? I thought it might make a nice little urban myth.

I normally walk five or six dogs together, often including a pup or two, so we're highly vulnerable. Many dogs will hesitate to attack when they are well and truly outnumbered. . . even if the numbers are Labbies who are totally naive about fighting. I'd normally yell (low, threatening tone, as guttaral as possible) something like OOY! Get out of here! Bloody dog! Go home. I would hold on to the leads as the dogs are safer if they hold together. Fortunately, this rarely happens around here

Edited by sandgrubber

I have avoided confrontations by putting all of our dogs into a drop and stepping between them and the unknown dog. I know though that once i do this, i had better step up and take care of things as the dogs all default to us!

When one of our dogs was attacked- badly, 3 of our others were there (off lead). Fortunately they all listened when told to move away and drop- if they had gotten involved, we would have had a dead dog.

Someone on this forum once suggested using a lead with heavy clip and swinging it in a circular motion in front of the advancing dog. I have used this method twice; in one case the agressor's concentration broke and it backed off. In the other case it stopped a madly-intent CAT in its tracks. Thank you to the original hint-poster, whoever you are!

My boy got attacked by an offlead dog. It was actually a Customs Lab, who was being walked by the foster person.

The dog went straight for my dog but my dog quickly went straight behind me. It managed to grab him a couple of times but mostly I kept the dog away by kicking it off to start with and then keeping it at a distance by swinging the lead at it. I had a hard poo bag holder on the handle of the lead and that helped. This dog would not give up, and kept circling trying to come at us from behind. I just had to keep turning around and staying in the middle of the 2 of them. It was a nightmare and in the end, the stupid dog walker ran off and abandoned us in the street being attacked by the Customs dog. He had a greyhound on lead as well. Eventually, after what seemed like forever, the dog realised the guy had gone and it ran off down the street, around the corner in the direction of its home. This walking the dog offlead was not a one off.

This dog was not interested in attacking me at all. It didn't even really look at me but sort of treated me like an obstacle that was in its way. Just kept trying to get past me. So, it worked for me swinging the lead and yelling at it............at least it didn't get too many strikes to connect.

My poor boy wet himself, and was terrified. He had a few bite marks and limped for a while afterward, but it could have been a lot worse.

I felt shocking hitting this dog. It was an awful feeling to have to lay into a dog when you are a dog lover. I totally blame the handler, he is a complete idiot. He did get a hefty fine for his stupidity, but unfortunately he now has another 2 Customs dogs. He doesn't walk them offlead now, I don't think he bothers to walk them much at all on lead unfortunately for the poor dogs.

ETA Imagine the headlines if my dog had fought back and got stuck into the other dog. Mine being a staffy!

Edited by sumosmum

My boy got attacked by an offlead dog. It was actually a Customs Lab, who was being walked by the foster person.

The dog went straight for my dog but my dog quickly went straight behind me. It managed to grab him a couple of times but mostly I kept the dog away by kicking it off to start with and then keeping it at a distance by swinging the lead at it. I had a hard poo bag holder on the handle of the lead and that helped. This dog would not give up, and kept circling trying to come at us from behind. I just had to keep turning around and staying in the middle of the 2 of them. It was a nightmare and in the end, the stupid dog walker ran off and abandoned us in the street being attacked by the Customs dog. He had a greyhound on lead as well. Eventually, after what seemed like forever, the dog realised the guy had gone and it ran off down the street, around the corner in the direction of its home. This walking the dog offlead was not a one off.

This dog was not interested in attacking me at all. It didn't even really look at me but sort of treated me like an obstacle that was in its way. Just kept trying to get past me. So, it worked for me swinging the lead and yelling at it............at least it didn't get too many strikes to connect.

My poor boy wet himself, and was terrified. He had a few bite marks and limped for a while afterward, but it could have been a lot worse.

I felt shocking hitting this dog. It was an awful feeling to have to lay into a dog when you are a dog lover. I totally blame the handler, he is a complete idiot. He did get a hefty fine for his stupidity, but unfortunately he now has another 2 Customs dogs. He doesn't walk them offlead now, I don't think he bothers to walk them much at all on lead unfortunately for the poor dogs.

ETA Imagine the headlines if my dog had fought back and got stuck into the other dog. Mine being a staffy!

That's what is really sad, when my dog was attacked 3 times, I couldn't complain or press charges, even though the last dog bit me & I had to go to hospital & get 21 stitches in my leg because of his breed, it would have been made out he was to blame. The ranger after the last attack when I got bitten said I should press charges, as the owner contacted him & tried to blame my dog for the attack & wanted him PTS, even though my dog was on lead & hers wasn't. :laugh:

Mine go to friends' places, and we have our own offlead, so I don't walk them in public. There are way too many dodgy dogs and owners out there.

If the dog is really aggressive, you have a serious problem. Most of them are just a bit aggro, and if you stand up tall, be an alpha, and growl or shout at them, while keeping your dog out of the way, you will probably be ok.

After a few discouraging encounters, I took to carrying a walking stick - one with a knob, not a handle. Had a couple of meetings with aggressive dogs, and found that laying into them with the knob end of the stick - hard - before they became too intense and prey driven changed their minds. Once they get into "the zone" they wont notice but before that, if you are fast enough and hard enough, they change their minds.

However, if you are going to do this, ensure that you can actually use the stick. I am pretty handy with a whip, and found using the stick worked about the same. You need to be fast, hit, swing, hit again, not just hit once, and do it while the dog is considering.

I hit them on the shoulder, except for the one who kept coming, I whacked him across the muzzle and head.

Did it hurt him? Probably, he yelped and ran, and I gave him a few on the ribs as he turned. I'd rather he was hurt than my dog was killed, and that's how it looked.

These threads make me so glad we live on acres with lots of bush and variety.We rarely encounter other dogs,and lots of off lead time.

I was reduced to throwing rocks at a couple of pittbulls that were attacking my goats once.

Walking the roads can be a different matter with lots of dogs on the way running out.The owners,when around,are quick to bring them under controll when they see the size and breed of ours.Then I have to explain that our dogs will NOT harm theirs (or their children) unless we are attacked.

The few times owners have not been around getting between and yelling "Go Home" agressivly has mostly worked,when it hasn't the nearest big stick waved at them has.