New Puppies

tlc

I loved every minute of it, I'd become increadibly bored being home by myself most of the day, most every day and so everything was a wonderful adventure with my new companion. Because I don't work a 9-5 job I had plenty of time to catch up on sleep with nanna naps in between training and playing and taking about 6 million cute puppy pics ;)

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really love the puppy stage. :thumbsup:

Dont mind toilet training etc. My current GSD girl was quite a good puppy, she was easy to toilet train etc She just hated being left on her own. At all. I had to sneak off to have showers on the rare occasion that she was asleep otherwise she would scream the whole time I was in there. Even if she was in the bathroom with me, unless she was in the shower she would scream :thumbsup: But apart form that she was great. She grew up so quickly though, made me a bit sad.

Now the teenage months, thats another matter. I think I could have given her away a few times.

heres the brat as a baby.

P4120320.jpg

now that face couldnt do any wrong, could it? :thumbsup: ;)

We bought our lab home smack bang in the middle of winter - and it sure is a lesson in patience taking a 10wk pup to the loo at 4am in the morning trying to stay still and calm even though your suffering frost bite (yes I know what you're thinking melbounites, but it feels cold to us!). :thumbsup:

From what I remember she was a pretty good pup (well she's still a pup, 10 months old now). Her one major issue which had us despairing was biting. It took a long time and a lot of work to improve this behaviour and it really tested our ... characters ... to persevere with the 'I am a tree' training that everyone advised - I've got the scars to prove our resolve. :thumbsup:

We still have some minor issues which we're working on and the vet assures us she's not deaf :thumbsup: so we just keep plodding along.

Wouldn't trade her for the world though.

post-32728-1270648681_thumb.jpg

She is a real cutie!! Two of mine were winter puppies and while we don't get temps below 0 but very close, mine all learnt to do thier business at night pretty quick ;)

As for the mouthing, Cooper took a bit of teaching but the rest all learnt bite inhibition from the older ones which was great for us!!

I really love the puppy stage. :thumbsup:

Dont mind toilet training etc. My current GSD girl was quite a good puppy, she was easy to toilet train etc She just hated being left on her own. At all. I had to sneak off to have showers on the rare occasion that she was asleep otherwise she would scream the whole time I was in there. Even if she was in the bathroom with me, unless she was in the shower she would scream :thumbsup: But apart form that she was great. She grew up so quickly though, made me a bit sad.

Now the teenage months, thats another matter. I think I could have given her away a few times.

heres the brat as a baby.

P4040005-1.jpg

P4110311.jpg

P5050355.jpg

P4120320.jpg

They sure do grow out of the puppy stage too quick, I have never seen a black GSD before she is lovely!! Great photos.

Two of mine were/are very clingy, one grew out of it but the youngest is still a big mummas boy!!

I found it pretty nerve-wracking when I first brought Moose home but not really sure why. I guess because he is my very first own dog (all other dogs were family dogs we got when I was a kid) it just felt like so much responsibility. Plus he was so tiny! It took me about 2 weeks to relax. I don't really miss the puppy days! ;)

Baby Moosedawg...

post-27684-1270649477_thumb.jpg

post-27684-1270649490_thumb.jpg

post-27684-1270649498_thumb.jpg

I loved every minute of it, I'd become increadibly bored being home by myself most of the day, most every day and so everything was a wonderful adventure with my new companion. Because I don't work a 9-5 job I had plenty of time to catch up on sleep with nanna naps in between training and playing and taking about 6 million cute puppy pics ;)

:thumbsup: you have just described me when I got Cooper, I worked from home and spent every waking moment with him with the camera practically stuck to me :thumbsup: He got to love kids very early on too as i was looking after kids at the time, which was great for him and them!!

We bought our lab home smack bang in the middle of winter - and it sure is a lesson in patience taking a 10wk pup to the loo at 4am in the morning trying to stay still and calm even though your suffering frost bite (yes I know what you're thinking melbounites, but it feels cold to us!). :thumbsup:

Omg yes! Mud came home middle of winter too and I remember freezing my butt off to take him out while he waddled around nice and warm in his puppy fur. Little turd LOVES rain and would run around like a loon if we happened to go out during a shower (which was often) and so I'd have to herd him up but he'd be having so much fun zooming around. Then I'd have to dry off a wet puppy and plonk him in bed, just to do it again in the morning ;) :thumbsup:

Sgt025-1.jpg

P7070366.jpg

P8020259.jpg

P9030013-1.jpg

P9010138-1.jpg

ZIVA032.jpg

ZIVA016.jpg

ZIVA031.jpg

Moose is so cute and so tiny. I would have been scared I would break him. ;)

I guess it is an awesome responsibility when it comes right down to it they depend on you for everything and its up to us to do the right thing by them. I do worry about that all the time!!

Mim those photos are so cute, your pups are adorable!! The muddy one made me laugh and remember my white girl had a liking to play in the water bowl and run through the dirtiest part of the yard. There was always a lot of towels used during winter, they all got used to having thier paws wiped pretty quickly!!

Really love the big smiley shot!!

Looking back on my time with Lottie as a puppy, I wish it had gone slower!! I think now I hardly remember the time - even though I was on holidays for like 3 months with her!!!!! so timing was perfect!!! But here's some photos of the little rascal....

This is the first photo I received of Lottie from the breeder and knew she was the one for me!!!!! This is at 6 weeks old.

Puppies2028120of207291.jpg

This was the day I picked her up.....

Lottie042.jpg

Lottie045.jpg

This was a week after I had her....

LottieBush.jpg

And this one just because I love it - her on my horse float!!!!

22070_1296496445232_1014984639_9212.jpg

Sorry for the photo overload!!!!! :rofl:

Don't be sorry Beth, Lottie is gorgeous :laugh:

I enjoy the first month or two of puppyhood then it's like hurry up and mature already! :) They lose that fresh little puppy look so quickly that I can handle puppy naughtiness while they're so cute, then they get gangly but still act like a puppy and that's when I said to Ruby I wish she'd hurry up and be an adult ;) But now that she is an adult, I'd give anything to have puppy breath again :sleep: Hopefully some puppy breath just like little Lottie one day :rofl:

I totally agree Rubystar!!! haha!!! It was funny when Lottie was going through her gangly stage - but she's slowly turning into an adult, and Looking at the photos again makes me want another puppy.... I think a red merle would fit in lovely with Lottie!!! hehehe

As Rubystar said dont be sorry for too many photos, infact there can never be too many photos especially of puppies :) Lottie is adorable!! Amazing eyes and color!! And a red merle sounds like a great idea . :rofl:

Rubystar, its funny I don't remember mine going through that gangly stage, I'm sure they did but I just didn't notice!! Puppy breath is just the bestest!!

I could be wrong but the ganglies seem more apparent in larger breeds. I don't remember ganglies in my Maltese :rofl: You definitely get ganglies in Labs and from what I've seen, Aussies too :)

I think a red merle would look lovely with your blue merle Beth ;) I am tossing up between red and blue merle for when I eventually get my Aussie. Ideally I'd love one of each but I don't think I am going to be able to find the time to train 4 doggies!!

I loved the baby days! Benson kept us up for a few nights, and he was very active and bouncy after the first few days but overall he was a good boy and sooooooo cute!

Dusty was just adorable. She was the perfect little Miss.....no night time crying, no chewing things, no puddles inside.....she was the easiest baby I've ever had in the house.

They don't stay little long enough for me.

I love pups so much that I foster them for rescue. All of my babies are fully crate trained (and at least partially toilet trained) when they leave here... *grin*

Here are a few that have passed through over the past year...

Buster (now named Jaffa) - adopted

IMG_2048.jpg

Nugget (now named Dutch) - adopted

IMG_4034.jpg

Lilly - adopted

EOS2009_05_24_lilly056.jpg

Jake and Dexter - adopted

EOS2009_06_21_JakeDex016.jpg

Bindi - adopted

EOS2009_07_19_BrindlePup013.jpg

Bentley - adopted

EOS2009_08_09_Bentley_a013.jpg

Cody (now Gucci) - adopted

EOS2009_09_14_pups089.jpg

Calvin - adopted

EOS2009_09_14_pups075.jpg

Dominic - adopted

EOS2009_09_14_pups038.jpg

Dante - adopted

EOS2009_09_14_pups_2042.jpg

... and there are more...

Edited by tdierikx

Dakota - adopted

EOS2009_09_14_pups_2001.jpg

Caspar - adopted

EOS2009_10_28_Caspar039.jpg

Joshua - adopted

EOS_2009_12_22_staffy_boys092.jpg

Connor - adopted

EOS_2009_12_31_staffy_boys003.jpg

Merlin - adopted

EOS_2009_12_31_staffy_boys031.jpg

Elmer - adopted

EOS_2009_12_31_staffy_boys040.jpg

Gypsy - available for adoption

04-03-2010_foxie_pups036.jpg

Barney - available for adoption

04-03-2010_foxie_pups143.jpg

Spud - available for adoption

01-03-2010_foxie_pups017.jpg

James - available for adoption

14-03-2010_james031.jpg

I do so love puppies... and they aren't hard work really...

T.

I loved it too. I think the hardest part for me was leaving puppy alone when I worked full time. This was especially hard at one place I was renting. There was no dog fencing so I locked my little whippet puppy in a stable and knew that she probably howled all day. It's amazing thinking back what I did back then that I would never do now.

When I bred my 2 litters I had to smile to myself when I thought I wouldn't have sold a puppy to someone like me, who didn't have safe fencing and who would have to leave the puppy alone all day. Yet Kiri survived her puppy hood just fine and grew into the most wonderful dog, she's the first part of my cybername.

When I got Penny I thought I'll start out right this time, she's sleeping in the laundry. So I made a warm cosy bed for her and she screamed non stop till about 3am when I finally relented and took her to bed with me. She slept soundly then, only problem was she insisted on sleeping with her gorgeous warm bald tummy draped across my neck. It felt nice but it wasn't comfy or practical. I persistently moved her off and she just as persistently climbed back on. She won. Thankfully she grew out of that.

When I bred my first litter I put them outside when I weaned them. They had a fantastic set up but they quickly learned to escape it, I had underestimated a 6 week old puppies ability to jump and climb. Of a morning I would creep out as quietly as I could and put their brekky down, hoping to run back inside before they woke. I'd bolt inside and shut the door and they would leap and jump at the windows squealing and crying to be let in. They reminded me of little moths fluttering at the window, their tiny paws pattering on the glass. Of course I would stupidly let them in, and in their joy and excitement they'd all start peeing and pooing and I'd be running around trying to get them out again before they did.

I love the gentle training of puppies and praise when they get it right, seeing the penny drop when they understand what you mean, and how hard they try to do the right thing, and how cheeky and naughty and funny they can be. The bond that grows when we spend so much time together and become a team.

aaah thanks for reminding me of how much fun they are.