Met A New Breed Today But Can't Find The Proper Name

Katdogs

Pyrenean mountain or sheepdog? although these are tiny ;and mountain dogs are not (as far as I know there were hundreds around when I was a teenager) new to aust.

I'd hardly call the Pyrenean Mountain dog tiny weighing in at about 80kg! :eek: I grew up in UK watching Belle & Sebastian on the TV, so I am familiar with this breed, LOL! Certainly does not have ringlets!

Pyrenean mountain or sheepdog? although these are tiny ;and mountain dogs are not (as far as I know there were hundreds around when I was a teenager) new to aust.

I'd hardly call the Pyrenean Mountain dog tiny weighing in at about 80kg! :eek: I grew up in UK watching Belle & Sebastian on the TV, so I am familiar with this breed, LOL! Certainly does not have ringlets!

sorry, I meant pyrenean sheepdogs are tiny :) My lakeland breeder used to breed them too so I know they are BIG. :):) Just trying to think of large fluffies with no 'ears'.

I loved that show.......I had so forgotten about that show.....And they are not that rare, very white, just looks like a white newf

Sounds to me like you met a Bergamasco, there are some in NSW. There was a litter born from 2 imported babies that I think brought there numbers up to about 9. Other is likely Polish Lowland Sheepdog (PONS), Can also be found in NSW/ACT, S.A and Tas, they have been in the country years ago but gradually disappeared from the show scene, they where reintroduced a couple of years ago. Have a look on the breed pages you may find the dog you met.

Jenny

Edited by JENCOL

If you look at the link that Gayle gave earlier there is a pic of a Bergamasco & they look like you described - hairy with ringlets! They look like a cross between a Puli & a beardy or OES :thumbsup: .

Here is a link to a Bermagasco breeder in Australia. According to the website, they bred the first ever Australian litter so you might very well have met one of the pups. They look exactly like you describe.

http://www.mungadelbergamascos.com/index.htm?reloaded=true

:thumbsup: That's her!!! Thanks so much GayleK.

I was so sure they said French but I was being snuffled by a very large American at the time so must have got mixed up with Italian. :laugh:

I wonder if I should suggest herding training to the family, after she's done some basic obedience?