Dealings With Puppy Buyer's

Libertybrook

okay our BC babies are nearly 6 weeks old now and going great guns,

most are sold and going to great homes, for the most part I have found people enquiring have been good

ask all the right questions and when I have met them they have been terrific, and they will make great parents, lol,

but everynow and I get some doozies :provoke:

like tonight I had a bloke ring up form SA and ask about puppies, and how many chocolate puppies I had left

errr umm I dont have chocolate puppies, he was quite adamant I did he had seen them on my website, I asked which puppy was he interested in he said oh a BC puppy....

oh dear yeah ok , but a boy or a girl ?? he answered " a border collie puppy....." groan.....

I was very polite and he said he would take another look at my webpage, then he asked did the purchase price include transport to South Australia???

and could I organise this, he just assummed that he was going to get a puppy,

I have had a couple of these people just assume that I will just freight a puppy to them, if they off er enough money..

this is our first litter in 4.5 years, I dont know how people who regularly have litters do it , you all deserve a medal :) :cool:

I find it is literally a full-time job dealing with prospective puppy buyers.

While we deal with inquiries all year long, they come in thick and fast when we have a litter planned.

Between emails, phone calls and meeting interested parties it is very stressful & demanding 'work'.

I agree that most prospective buyers are easy to deal with, some, as you say, just expect to get a puppy, and after their first initial inquiry ask "when can we pick him up?".

I did find that after launching a website that we had an increased ratio of these callers; probably because we were suddenly easy to find(?).

We have since removed our website and now enjoy more dedicated/sincere inquiries. These are the people who *really* do their research into breeders and the breed, and not just EXPECT a puppy from the first thing that pops up on Google.

I had someone ring me a few weeks ago asking if i had any puppies..I said not at this time But shes due in season in a couple of weeks so fingers crossed... She said she'd like a female to breed with as she has a dog.. I said all mine will be desex before going to there new homes, She said it again and i said not to one of my dogs u wont be breeding...She didnt show.. she didnt have a prefix, so the convo was short n sweet :laugh:

I've had two doozies so far! One wanting a bitch. show or pet? Pet. Desex? No. Do you intend to breed? Yes. FAIL! The second one was adamant I had blue puppies. I went through the 'I do not breed blues, do not breed for colour etc' thing. Then he asked when I intended to get more blue puppies?!!!! FAIL!

It is easily the most stressful part of having a litter.

I had one emailing for several weeks,asked heaps of questions,then asked me if i could "give him one for free,for the good of the breed". Because he didnt have any money to buy one,but it would be assured a good home :eek:I asked about rescues,he wasnt interested,and oh,had to be UNDESEXED!!!.

Some very sad statements here..............I have to agree that finding the right homes is the hardest of having a litter.

I get annoyed at those who can't pronounce the name right.......have you got "Rockweiler puppies?" ..........FAIL

The other that annoys me is the "how much" ............ and "can you do better for cash"......like what the???? :rofl:BIG FAIL

I have to say that since I put on my website that all pet (limit registered) dogs will be sterilised prior to leaving my home the number of non show "I want a pet to breed with" requests have dropped substantially.

That sounds like it sorts the wannabes out very quickly.

I have to say that since I put on my website that all pet (limit registered) dogs will be sterilised prior to leaving my home the number of non show "I want a pet to breed with" requests have dropped substantially.

It appears to have done the trick for now but this is my first litter so who knows what I will get over the years to come.

It appears to have done the trick for now but this is my first litter so who knows what I will get over the years to come.

Sadly, I think you'll probably find it won't last.

I clearly state on EVERY listing that I make ANYWHERE for my puppies that all companion puppies are sold on LIMITED REGISTRATION ONLY!!

Still doesn't stop people from asking if they can have Main Register, or telling me that Limit doesn't matter because they only want to breed ??????.

I'm expecting my first litter in a couple of weeks time, & I have to say this is the part I'm not looking foward too. I am looking foward to talking & meeting with genuine lovely buyers,& the satisfacton of my pups going to a perfect home & making a family happy, & hopefully getting progress reports & piccies, but I'm so not looking foward to dealing with the idiots & time wasters.

I just hope that being my first time I will place my puppies in the right homes & don't make a mistake. I will be writing out a list of questions to ask them, which they will have to answer to my satisfaction before I give them my adress & agree to come & see a pup. Anyone that tries to negotiate price with me too, will be an instant fail. My babies will not be negotiable,& if a buyer can't or won't pay the average price for a pup, then I will have doubts in my head of how the puppy will be looked after in the future.

Maybe I'm being to strict, but I don't care, this litter is going to mean the world to me, & I wan't to find the best homes possible for them. I'm sure all of you feel the same with your babies. :cry:

I was just wondering where all of you usually advertise your litter?

Seeing this is my frst litter I haven't got a web site up & running yet, so I was planning to advertise the litter on DOL & with the Vic Aussie terrier Club.

Do you think this will be enough?

I don't really want to advertise with too many places, or I will probably end up with too many time wasters. Also do you usually advertise the price with the pup or do you usually do POA?

Sorry for the silly questions, but this is probably the part of breeding that is stressing me out the most, probably more than the whelping & the rearing.

My OH has joked to me, that we should just keep the whole litter to solve the problem. :confused:

I've said to him, if she only has one or two there's a good chance of that happening. :rofl:

I clearly state on EVERY listing that I make ANYWHERE for my puppies that all companion puppies are sold on LIMITED REGISTRATION ONLY!!

Still doesn't stop people from asking if they can have Main Register, or telling me that Limit doesn't matter because they only want to breed ??????.

So do I but some people must think it does not apply to them

I have even got "no puppies available" on my breeder profile and web page but still get enquiries wanting to know if I have a litter at the moment if not when.

Well apart from the usual bogan comments the worst shocker for me was when a bloke rang me DAILY for 3 days and all 3 calls I told him I do NOT have a puppy available to him.

He didn't stand a chance as it was but when he asked if "it" had a tail and I said yes - all RoTTWEILers (correcting the rockweelers) do now since the tail docking laws were changed - no docking allowed - well he told me that's ok - "I will take care of that". I had a panic attack and asked him what did he mean by that. Said he would deal with it himself - said no one would know. By this stage I was about to drop on the spot feeling sick with visions of what he must have meant. I told him that ANYONE with eyes would know if a dog has a tail or not - he went from bad to worse with every comment - told me that no one would see the dog. He was going to lock him in a yard - no one would know he was there.

So after finding words to say - I told him for the 3 days to piss off - I have nothing for him and I was making a few calls to other breeders - which I did.

He wanted to get a pup - (mine was about 4-5 months old at this stage) CUT OFF ITS TAIL - HIMSELF and lock it away - a yard dog. That still makes me sick thinking about that call.

Then there was - "ok - I will take the pup off your hands for you - and will pay you next month"...."it's ok - you can trust me." yeah - like that would happen.

After having 2 Rottweiler litters I have to say talking with pug people was so wonderful. Only 2 that worried me so told them I have nothing left.

I have a young Rottie male and had to sort out the dog dealers at this age. This dog is not advertised - only listed on my webpage and I still get interstate calls about him. I have a local home lined up for him now - just getting his hips done first before letting him go.

Thankfully it is a very long time until we will have another rottie litter available - but dread the thought of dealing with those types again.

That's worrying Andisa. :confused: I can't believe he said to you, that he would take care of the docking himself & lock the dog up. I just hope he failed to get himself a pup, what a weirdo. :cry:

I too have a traditonally docked breed, so it is worrying & sickening that there is people out there that think they can do this. :rofl:

Nicole

OMG Andisa :(

Its scary to think that there are people like that out there, and scarier to think that there would be people willing to

sell a puppy to that moron !! :(

I had a woman from WA ring and offer me more than double what I was asking for one of my girls,

I explained to her I had already sold to her some local people (as it happens) whom I and my Husband have known for decades and will give her a lovely home,

after I hung up rather annoyed at her really pushy attitude, the next morning I get a SMS from her asking

"well how much do you want then ??"

I didnt bother replying.......

All my inital contacts are via email. I don't put my phone number on DoL or my webpage anymore. I scrapped that when I got calls at 11pm and 6am in the morning, people phoning offering $100 for a "gud rabbitin dawg" and idiots wasting an hour of my time when I clearly state I have males only then they go on and on and on with the parting sentence being "well I want a bitch".

If people don't like initial contacts via email then they can go elsewhere.