Question For Purebred Dog Owners

aussielover

I too have a breed that I am nuts about and was planning on getting a puppy having never had one as my other 2 had both come to me half grown from their breeder. In the end I just couldn't do it knowing that there were dogs of my chosen breed turning up in pounds so I ended up with a shelter dog, though he is a purebred of my chosen breed and he is ALMOST little at roughly 10 months of age LOL !! Funnily enough I had made the decision that day to get the puppy from a breeder as I was missing out time and again on impounded dogs and that afternoon my phone rang, RSPCA here, would you take a purebred pup that failed it's temp. test ?? Fantastic, decison made, he's here and we love him !! I think you have to do what you want to do and one of the suggestions made earlier seems reasonable, if a rescue of your breed and desired age doesn't come along by a certain date then get your puppy from a breeder. Best of luck and don't feel a bit guilty whatever you decide to do, it's your choice.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think I am being selfish by getting a purebred aussie over a shelter dog?

no way, when did getting a purebred dog become bad? Don't all dogs deserve good homes? Why are pound dogs more deserving than purebred dogs?

Do you think I am being selfish by getting a purebred aussie over a shelter dog?

NO! I have a purebred from a lovely breeder and she doesn't have a clue that she's 'different' from the rescues. :rofl:

It's totally up to you. As long as the dog is going to suit you best and the rescue or breeder is ethical and will support you along the way. :)

No guilt trips needed, any dog deserves the very best home no matter their history.

no way, when did getting a purebred dog become bad? Don't all dogs deserve good homes? Why are pound dogs more deserving than purebred dogs?

I'm hesitant to point out the obvious here.... but pound dogs are at risk of death. I trust that purebred breeders aren't threatening, or actually carrying through with, euthanasia of a dog they have bred.

The point though is that a rescue dog does not suit everyone and no-one should be made to feel guilty for exercising their RIGHT to choose where they purchase a dog from. It doesn't do rescue any favours having zealots use this line of coercion. By the same token though, I have seen many, many people make people feel guilty for buying a byb dog or pet shop dog..... food for thought.

The point though is that a rescue dog does not suit everyone and no-one should be made to feel guilty for exercising their RIGHT to choose where they purchase a dog from. It doesn't do rescue any favours having zealots use this line of coercion. By the same token though, I have seen many, many people make people feel guilty for buying a byb dog or pet shop dog..... food for thought.

Buying BYB and petshop dogs supports irresponsible breeding and exploiting dogs for profit. I don't see that as anything like being in the same category as a buying a responsibly bred pup from an ethical breeder.

Some folk like rescue dogs. They like saving a life. Good for them.

Others, including me, have quite particular needs and aims for the purebred pup they buy.

Vive la difference.

While Pet Rescue persist with their utterly inexplicable (to me) policy of refusing to list dogs by breed (since when is size an indicator of temperament, grooming needs or energy levels?) then finding rescue purebreds is made just that bit more difficult. :confused:

Edited by poodlefan

Buying BYB and petshop dogs supports irresponsible breeding and exploiting dogs for profit. I don't see that as anything like being in the same category as a buying a responsibly bred pup from an ethical breeder.

In the context of making a person feel guilty, it is still not right. Education through guilt doesn't lead to healthy outcomes in my world.

Some folk like rescue dogs. They like saving a life. Good for them.

Others, including me, have quite particular needs and aims for the purebred pup they buy.

Vive la difference.

While Pet Rescue persist with their utterly inexplicable (to me) policy of refusing to list dogs by breed (since when is size an indicator of temperament, grooming needs or energy levels?) then finding rescue purebreds is made just that bit more difficult. :confused:

Yes, I must admit to always finding their system at a little difficult to comprehend too.

I have a rescue dog and I know my next dog will be from a registered, ethical breeder - Zero is my heart dog and I love him to death but I want a dog without problems for my next dog and Zero certainly came to me with plenty of them! Rescuing is often luck of the draw - some people don't want or can't handle what a rescue dog can throw at them and they shouldn't be made to feel guilty for that.

Don't let them talk you out of what you want. Yes, there are a lot of dogs in rescue organisations but if you know you want a purebred puppy with good lines behind them, get a purebred puppy with good lines behind them!

no, you shouldn't feel guilty. :confused:

i personally find my breeds of choice in abundance at the pounds, so will always take a rescue if one suits me in the future, if not i would go to a breeder. :cry:

Hi,

As some of you may know, my Australian Shepherd girl recently passed away. I considering am getting another dog, but I am not sure when.

However, a number of people have basically "told" me to get a resuce animal from the pound or rescue groups RIGHT NOW. When I tell them my next dog will be another Aussie Shepherd, they make me feel really bad and guilty about not rescuing a dog.

The reasons why I want another Aussie Shepherd are:

- They are smart, fun and easy to train

- They suit my lifestyle, which is quite active- I like going running and for long walks.

- They are very pretty :confused:

- I know to a degree what their personality and exercise/training requirements will be like as I have had previous experience

- I just have a feeling they are the breed "for me" (vague I know but I can't really describe)

If I was able to afford two or more dogs, I would consider a shelter dog as well as an Aussie but I don't think I will be in that position for a while!!!

You haven't got any dog yet. :cry:

I am a big believer in being very particular about the type of dog behaviour and temperament that suits you. From what I know, Aussies are fairly uniform in what you can expect them to be like, they do have a unique combination of traits and are a very good choice for some people.

No need to feel bad or selfish, if you bring home the wrong type of dog, you and the dog will suffer for that. Breed matching is a two way street.

When it is time for you to get a dog, you just concentrate on finding the right pup from the right lines or the right dog. Possibly there will be an adult Aussie needing a new home, or possibly there won't be. Not all adult dogs needing homes are in shelters, there might be an adult with a breeder or somewhere else that needs a home. If not, you will have to get a puppy.

As long as when you get your pup or dog, you get the right dog for you.

I don't think it is reasonable to take just any shelter dog just because it is in a shelter. Turn the argument around on these people. Don't they know anything about differences in breed and temperaments? What makes them think they are so good that they can provide the best life for any type of dog, just because it is from a shelter? Be aware there are plenty of people that put their own need to be 'rescue angel' above the needs of the animals they acquire, I see them as selfish.

And if nobody bought purebred pups, we wouldn't have purebred dogs at all.

Yes, I must admit to always finding their system at a little difficult to comprehend too.

I can only interpret it as "anti-purebred". The fact is that some folk only want dogs of a particular breed. Why insist on making it more difficult to connect these folk with dogs needing homes? :confused:

Edited by poodlefan

You're not being selfish. It's an attitude I came across as well when we got Gypsy. Nobody in my circle of friends was remotely interested or excited when I got a purebred dog from a registered breeder, when another friend in the same group got a rescue dog it was THE most exciting and cute thing ever.

Don't get me wrong, it's wonderful that people are now so supportive of getting rescue dogs, but surely it doesn't have to make getting a purebred dog something to feel guilty and ashamed of. BYB and Petshops are a different story, but to most people with this attitude, it's either rescue or bad.

Although i don't agree- i think the reason behind not listing by breed is to combat those people who want a breed based on the looks of that breed that is not suitable for them in other ways and in doing so, miss a dog that may be perfect for them just because it is of a breed they would not look at. I think having an advanced search option would be good so that those people set on a particular breed could click advanced search and select that.

And no- don't feel guilty. A few people made me feel guilty for getting a pedigree puppy instead of a rescue recently but i know i made the best decision for us at the time. And next time i will do the same- make the best decision for us- it will likely be a rescue that time.

Although i don't agree- i think the reason behind not listing by breed is to combat those people who want a breed based on the looks of that breed that is not suitable for them in other ways and in doing so, miss a dog that may be perfect for them just because it is of a breed they would not look at. I think having an advanced search option would be good so that those people set on a particular breed could click advanced search and select that.

And no- don't feel guilty. A few people made me feel guilty for getting a pedigree puppy instead of a rescue recently but i know i made the best decision for us at the time. And next time i will do the same- make the best decision for us- it will likely be a rescue that time.

So how is mere size a better indicator of suitabilty? :confused:

Considering one of the main reason dogs end up in the pound is because the owners did not choose a breed that suited their needs, lifestyle, and abilities as an owner, I would have to say that going with what you know suits you already is the responsible thing to do.

Considering one of the main reason dogs end up in the pound is because the owners did not choose a breed that suited their needs, lifestyle, and abilities as an owner, I would have to say that going with what you know suits you already is the responsible thing to do.

I have to say I totally agree with this.

There is nothing wrong with giving a forever home to a breed that you know & love, & a breed that you know already suits your lifestyle.

Aslong as you buy from a reputable breeder & not supporting puppy farms & BYB's then there is nothing to be guilty of. :confused: