Brilliant Photos Of An Even More Brilliant Day!

Kirislin

We had our whippet fun day yesterday in bright sunshine. A great turnout with at least 4 DOLers attending and I'm pretty sure they all had a fantastic day. Thanks go to Pete for taking some amazing photos. I took some but as usual was busy doing other stuff. Petes were way better than mine anyway.

Have a look

http://s212.photobucket.com/albums/cc71/yv...mview=slideshow

and here's a few if you dont want to view the slideshow

Images courtesy of P Hulks

DSC_0091.jpg

DSC_0313.jpg

DSC_0190-1.jpg

DSC_0232.jpg

DSC_0444.jpg

Edited by Kirislin

Great piccys!!!!

Ok so EXTREMELY dumbo question from me but why is the whippies wearing muzzles? Are they like racing whippies or something or am I seriously silly and they are greys? I thought only greys wore muzzles?

P.s. I like the one who is one the bench or whatever he is standing on, fourth piccy down! he or she is seriously cute!

Edited by sammy_ballerina

Not a silly question at all. Even though we are all amateurs, our whippets dont know that and some of them take it very seriously and get very very excited. Although it's unlikely, sometimes a whippet might get carried away and try to take a chunk out of another dog or even their owner as my own Kibah did once to me.

Not a silly question at all. Even though we are all amateurs, our whippets dont know that and some of them take it very seriously and get very very excited. Although it's unlikely, sometimes a whippet might get carried away and try to take a chunk out of another dog or even their owner as my own Kibah did once to me.

I was going to ask the same question too. Was it had to train them to chase the lure? I can imagine that they would get excited racing. I know my dog if she sees a rabbit at our farm goes hell for leather, but not in a million years would she ever catch one - the whippets though I'm sure could or get seriously close. Great photos and from the whippets I've met, they seem to be great dogs with wonderful short coats (I live in a tick area).

[i was going to ask the same question too. [b]Was it had to train them to chase the lure? I[/b] can imagine that they would get excited racing. I know my dog if she sees a rabbit at our farm goes hell for leather, but not in a million years would she ever catch one - the whippets though I'm sure could or get seriously close. Great photos and from the whippets I've met, they seem to be great dogs with wonderful short coats (I live in a tick area).

It used to be harder when we used the actual greyhound lure that is fixed on the rail and very noisy and doesn't smell like an animal. Now we have the drag lure and use either a fox tail or bunny skin, most, I'd say 90% chase almost straight away. A few take a bit longer but they generally get the hang of it.

[i was going to ask the same question too. [b]Was it had to train them to chase the lure? I[/b] can imagine that they would get excited racing. I know my dog if she sees a rabbit at our farm goes hell for leather, but not in a million years would she ever catch one - the whippets though I'm sure could or get seriously close. Great photos and from the whippets I've met, they seem to be great dogs with wonderful short coats (I live in a tick area).

It used to be harder when we used the actual greyhound lure that is fixed on the rail and very noisy and doesn't smell like an animal. Now we have the drag lure and use either a fox tail or bunny skin, most, I'd say 90% chase almost straight away. A few take a bit longer but they generally get the hang of it.

Thanks for this. I must say that watching a whippet or greyhound in full flight is a pretty amazing sight. They seem to just love running at full speed. They certainly make other dogs look very clumsy!!

Great pics Kirislin, i would love to come to one of your days, bit far away for me to drive though! :laugh:

Just curious, do any of them injure themselves? I only ask because i have stopped running my guys together because they barrell along at a million miles an hour and bowl each other over, ive had so many stifle, back and leg injuries lately, so ive stopped doing it. Which is a shame because they just love to run together at full speed in open space.

Great pics Kirislin, i would love to come to one of your days, bit far away for me to drive though! :(

Just curious, do any of them injure themselves? I only ask because i have stopped running my guys together because they barrell along at a million miles an hour and bowl each other over, ive had so many stifle, back and leg injuries lately, so ive stopped doing it. Which is a shame because they just love to run together at full speed in open space.

Ditto - wonderful pics, love them, shame we cant do it in WA - I am also concerned with injury, mine can hurt themselves lunging aroung the back yard :laugh: Whippets are just too darn speedy :cheer:

I cant say it will never happen, there's always a chance of injury with dogs running so fast but I think a straight grass track is about the safest. My whippets are more likely to injure themselves running at the park. You take a risk in anything you do.

We had our whippet fun day yesterday in bright sunshine. A great turnout with at least 4 DOLers attending and I'm pretty sure they all had a fantastic day. Thanks go to Pete for taking some amazing photos. I took some but as usual was busy doing other stuff. Petes were way better than mine anyway.

Have a look

http://s212.photobucket.com/albums/cc71/yv...mview=slideshow

and here's a few if you dont want to view the slideshow

Images courtesy of P Hulks

DSC_0091.jpg

DSC_0313.jpg

DSC_0190-1.jpg

DSC_0232.jpg

DSC_0444.jpg

:(:cheer: Just watched the slideshow, amazing pictures what a wonderful day you all must have had, and beautiful dogs :laugh:

yes thats probably the difference, running on a straight track is maybe less likely to cause injury than racing around the park where they twist and turn and run into things.

I would love to do it here in WA.

:( Be great to do it in WA - the WA Whips would love it :cheer:

I was wondering the same thing - are they only muzzled when they are racing - chasing?? or in general?? we get alot of whippys at my work and none have ever been muzzled??