Feeling Sad

Please don’t flame me I’m too upset to take that well right now. I don’t really need advice I just need to commiserate I think. I took Hank a huge 14mo wei on a week trial through wei rescue. But he’s not appropriate and I can’t viably change my life around enough to make it suitable for him. Problem is I already adore him, he’s such a beautiful natured boy and I just keep crying. Last night he stole my harry potter cap just to sleep with his nose buried in it, the night before it was my shoe. I know this is why they give the week trial but I just hate that I’ve put wei-rescue to so much trouble but mostly I hate that it’s disrupted Hanks life for that much longer.

My OH says this doesn’t mean we can’t get a dog and wei-rescue say they’ll keep us in mind if they have another come through but that doesn’t help at all. After wanting a dog desperately for so long I’m not sure if I want one anytime soon. I just keep thinking that if the girls were older I would have been able to work with Hank.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night he stole my harry potter cap just to sleep with his nose buried in it, the night before it was my shoe.

Sorry you are upset but if it's not working out returning him as soon as you can is the right thing to do for him.

If the bit I've quoted is the kind of thing that is upsetting you, I'd suggest you aren't in a position to get any young dog, as this is very mild behaviour for a 14 week old gundog. But maybe you just gave these examples to show how cute he is? I can't really tell from your post. Maybe a much older dog would suit you better.

Sorry that this doesn't seem to be working out for you.

A 14mo Wei can be full on, they have boundless energy and should have had lots of training prior to this stage, what sort of problems are you having with him?

He will be going back. I'm just waiting for a call to arrange when I have to drop him off.

All the normal things you would expect. Most of them I can handle, the chewing, the need for exercise, the issues with the kitties, pulling on the lead etc. We have the time to give him a couple of hours exercise a day and we were to be starting obedience classes today. But when something happens and we can't give him a full hour in the morning, he's absolutely uncontrollable, not his fault he's just beside himself with energy, when he's exercised he's brilliant, but when he's not he's dangerously boisterous to have around the kids and I then can't walk him even with the four wheel stroller because I don't have enough control and it's not safe. So he's stuck until my OH gets home so one of us can mind the girls. He's also just too big to be so boisterous around the kids, he's great with the toddler but I'm constantly guarding the baby because she gets knocked over so easily. I understand that any child needs watching at all time with dogs no matter the size - kids, even well behaved kids can do stupid things extremely quickly for no apparent reason so I don't mind the supervising. But this is constant guarding from enormous feet and whipping tail not just heading off the occasional misbehavior.

Sometimes dogs we love are not dogs we can live with. :)

There may be a dog or a breed out there that has all the qualities you love about this boy with a lower energy level. An older Weim seems an obvious starting point.

Would you take on a mature or even senior dog?

I can't see why you would be flamed for recognising that, much as you love this boy, he is not right for you. Good luck finding the perfect fit for your home.

I too think this dog or even breed of dog is not the right one for your family either.

I love GSD, Rotti's etc, I have had them when I was younger and love the breeds, but I know my energy levels have changed, as well as my family, so this breed is NOT a breed a would ever get again.

I think what you really need to do is sit down with OH and go through all the breeds of dogs, their energy levels, grooming etc, and find a breed that best suits your family and life style. Also think of those times when exercise might not be possible (as you already have found out). There are some web sites that ask you questions about you and your family etc and it will give you ideas on different breeds that might be suitable for your situation.

I know there is the perfect breed out there for you, it may not be the one you really want, but it will be the perfect one you need.

BF

Sorry to hear that it's not working out for you.

Just a question (and no not flaming) but has anyone suggested that you give Hank more mental stimulation/training throughout the day rather than just physical exercise.

Things like Kongs/food toys, puzzle toys, lots of short training sessions in the backyard etc??

You might find that when you can't take him out for his hour walk in the morning that a few short bursts of training through-out the day might calm him down? That way you dont have to worry about leaving the house and walking with a pram - just make sure the kids are safe inside and train in your backyard :)

Perhaps you are already doing that though and it's not working. But if you haven't tried it give it a go.

If you feel that you've tried everything and the dog is just not suitable then there is no shame in returning him. It's much better than confining him in the backyard alone or dumping him in the pound in 6 months time because he was 'just too much' :love:

I agree with PF that you can love a dog hugely, but it's not the breed or personality that your circumstances can deal with. So no flames from me.

Just understanding how you'd feel a bit broken- hearted as you watched this boy snuggle into your cap.

Over the years, we've adjusted our' breeds as pets', for that reason. Border collies when a lot of hands & opportunities for activity.....then slightly scaled down to more of a housedog, shelties. And now, the easiest house/social dogs to live with....tibbies.

But over all that time, there was one marvellous little dog that blended in so well with family, social & activity life, at all stages. A little black mixed breed dog, found thrown from a car as a puppy. She lived until she was nearly 23 yrs.

I'd wonder if an older, mature, mellow dog....already used to family life....might be a way to go in your circumstances. Not a puppy or a 'teenager'.

We've adopted dogs like this from good breeders, in recent years.

If you feel that Hank is not the right dog for you then you are doing the best thing for him(and you) by giving him back to the rescue group.

High energy dogs are not for everybody.

My new girl Abbie has required me to change some of my dog keeping stratergies due to her levels of energy and it is now only starting to be a calm,settled envoironment after two months of trial and error.

I now wake up an hour earlier on the days that I work so we can have a long walk, my dining room has been stripped so that her pen can fit and she can be safely enclosed while I am at work,my other dogs happily sleep in the house all day but Abbie ate my lounge the first day I left her and the second day pulled up the carpet in my bedroom and dragged my mattress of the bed and pulled the stuffing out :)

These problems may have been too much for some people but I found it a challenge worth perservering with as Abbie has so many positive, delightful qualities :love:

does he fetch?

leo our dally won't fetch but with 3 others who do.... often throwing the ball and a few mad runs thru the day is enough to get them by.

i don't exercise him formally as i don't have time. often customers will throw the ball and the get a few mad dashes that way. he also does tricks so we often do those and he gets a huge rewards pats food etc. he also comes outside with me and the horses and just wanders about sniffing smells.

just another thought..... is he less... full on than the day you got him?

i have found (just me tho) that stressed dogs will want to pace or run and have boundless energy. when they settle they don't have so much energy it seems to take awhile to adjust like a few weeks. leo took a couple of weeks to calm and accept his new home. our place was his third home, he does tend to be more sensitive. i remeber at the time... being so destressed re his pacing and being a pain....... for the first weekend..... i thought i had made a huge mistake. now however he is MY dog... totally mine. he tolerates the other humans in this house....... but will walk away or over the top of them to please me... even to the point a dog that is terrified of heights... he will climb the small step ladder for me! :):love:

just my thoughts.... we always seem to get given other peoples unwanteds.... so plenty have passed by this way.

just another thought..... is he less... full on than the day you got him?

i have found (just me tho) that stressed dogs will want to pace or run and have boundless energy. when they settle they don't have so much energy it seems to take awhile to adjust like a few weeks. leo took a couple of weeks to calm and accept his new home

Not just you....me, too! I've seen the same thing....a dog stressed by adjusting to a new home, can go into a frenzy of boundless movement.

Even a tibbie.....the calmest of dogs....did that when we adopted her. She was like a whirling dervish at first. Few weeks later when she accepted her new home.....her basic personality surfaced. She was actually the calmest, most sensible dog....in all circumstances.

She'd had 2 moves before we got her, & that may have made her sensitive to a new environment.

The cat we adopted from the UQ Adoption Program also did the same. She'd been saved from a pound & lived a secure life at the uni for a year. I picked her out because she lay so calmly among the other cats watching all their antics.

But when we took her home, she went into this movement frenzy....watching for imaginary geckos up on the walls....stalking & taking no notice of anyone else. This went on & on & on...

After a few weeks, she accepted her new home....& turned back into the calm, unstressed cat I'd seen at the uni.

You're so right, the newly adopted dog we see in the first month or two....can be the opposite of what they're like when the stress of being in a new home wears off. And new routines & relationships take over.

A great deal depends on how much it's possible for a family....or a person....to work thro' these early days.

So I wouldn't flame anyone who decides it's not possible in their situation.

SecretKei - unfortunately I've already tried that. He has a sandpit where he loves digging for carrot chunks, a kong and other toys and I do little training sessions with him through the day but the longer he goes without proper exercise the less he concentrates he just gets jumpy and mouthy (which he never otherwise does - he knows it's not allowed)

voloclydes - he does fetch and we try to play in the yard but as it's quite small he doesn't really get to run all out. He was quieter the day he arrived, the second day he was more at home and from day three he's just gotten more full on.

I think you're right as much as I love big dogs now is not the right time in my life as sad as I am I've felt less anxious since the decision was made. An older dog would probably be fine but I don't want to be in a position again where I can't keep a wonderful dog because the kids are too little for me to safely deal with a behavioral issue. A smaller breed maybe or we'll wait a couple of years - I don't know. The OH and I will have to have a big talk about it in a couple of weeks, I know he wants a dog.

was he a different dog at the foster house?

my instincts (even if you rehome him it would not be your fault) would be stress = boundless energy and feeling unsure... but having puppy excitoment thrown into the mix as well.

is there a park really close by.... like a 10min walk? or can you take him by car to an area where he could run free.... and fetch (we have a ball thrower as my arm is not a long enough throw). even working dogs will settle with a short run. maybe walks are not enough.

another suggestion can you get help from the obedience person in the form of tution one on one?

when leo get too much the best thing i did was buy a large crate..... and in there he goes. OH would not let me buy it but i wish i had done it sooner. he was getting beaten up by my jrt! nasty swf...(small white and fercous) :)

this may sound pushy but you do sound very attached to the dog. you need to be very sure or you might always regret your decision.

SecretKei - unfortunately I've already tried that. He has a sandpit where he loves digging for carrot chunks, a kong and other toys and I do little training sessions with him through the day but the longer he goes without proper exercise the less he concentrates he just gets jumpy and mouthy (which he never otherwise does - he knows it's not allowed)

voloclydes - he does fetch and we try to play in the yard but as it's quite small he doesn't really get to run all out. He was quieter the day he arrived, the second day he was more at home and from day three he's just gotten more full on.

I think you're right as much as I love big dogs now is not the right time in my life as sad as I am I've felt less anxious since the decision was made. An older dog would probably be fine but I don't want to be in a position again where I can't keep a wonderful dog because the kids are too little for me to safely deal with a behavioral issue. A smaller breed maybe or we'll wait a couple of years - I don't know. The OH and I will have to have a big talk about it in a couple of weeks, I know he wants a dog.

Fair enough, it sounds like you are trying :) I think with a dog like this you really need to have the time and inclination to be able to work through these issues and while some people are able to take on that challenge and enjoy it others just can't manage it - not because they dont want to but because their circumstances dont allow for it. Sounds like this is what has happened wth you??

Personally if it was me I'd give it more time. But if you are sure then giving him back sooner rather than later is the best thing for all.

You've ended up with not only a high energy breed but an adolecent one at that. Not a dog that I would expect to be calm and well behaved at all! :love: There are lots of other lower energy breeds out there that might suit your family better and many of them are large breeds too (if that's what you're looking for).

If you'd consider an ex-racing greyhound from GAP or similar, my guess is this would be an ideal dog for your situation.

A mature Whippet would be good too. :)

If you'd consider an ex-racing greyhound from GAP or similar, my guess is this would be an ideal dog for your situation.

The greyhounds I saw being assessed by GAP (my small dog was their last test, I think) were the most amazing, calm & confident dogs.

We had a big male of that type living next door....& he won the hearts and respect of all the neighbours.