May Photo Challenge

Ashanali

Sorry I have been late posting this month's challenge, it has been a hectic few weeks here and I was out shooting a wedding yesterday and was a little tired by the time I got home.

This month's challenge is *Caught!* - documentary photography.

The challenge is to capture the moment as it happens. You can't create moments, your subject can't be asked to pose or be posed for the camera. This is a challenge to creatively capture images of events that just happen. You either go out of your way to find the interesting OR you can make the mundane stuff interesting to look at.

Documentary photography also includes street photography.

There are no limitations to what you can shoot!

Go forth, have fun!

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome thanks for posting the new challenge :( It sounds very fun/challenging. So would going to the zoo and waiting for an animal to do something interesting considered documentary photography?

Awesome thanks for posting the new challenge :( It sounds very fun/challenging. So would going to the zoo and waiting for an animal to do something interesting considered documentary photography?

yep

ETA:

Animal subject snapped at a wedding yesterday. She was trying to hide from everyone rushing around the house. I caught her out though. :lol:

4569839616_224f7e11f5.jpg

Animals can definitely be great documentary subjects.

Edited by Ashanali

Can I ask what is Street Photography please???

http://www.flickr.com/groups/nrsp/

That is just one sample.

It's taking your camera to public places and shooting and hoping you don't get bashed. :(

Just kidding. It's shooting in public. To avoid getting in trouble, make sure if you take a photo of someone and they have noticed you take a photo, you go over and introduce yourself, tell them what you're doing, show them the photo and ask if you are okay to use it. Most people will say yes, some people will ask you to delete it, a minority of people will be rude about it.

So for this challenge, anything goes as long as it's not posed or set up?
This is a challenge to creatively capture images of events that just happen

Pretty much Gila, as long as it's still a creative or interesting image to look at. The rules of thirds challenge from April and the shoot to crop challenge in March will be a great help to people when composing images in an intersting way.

Can I ask what is Street Photography please???

http://www.flickr.com/groups/nrsp/

That is just one sample.

It's taking your camera to public places and shooting and hoping you don't get bashed. :hug:

Just kidding. It's shooting in public. To avoid getting in trouble, make sure if you take a photo of someone and they have noticed you take a photo, you go over and introduce yourself, tell them what you're doing, show them the photo and ask if you are okay to use it. Most people will say yes, some people will ask you to delete it, a minority of people will be rude about it.

Thanks I am off tomorrow to see what I can capture for this challenge.

Fiddling with settings and playing now so I do get lots of disasters :(:)

Ok some photos.

Echo has taken to stealing Bob's toy of the moment and then teasing him with them to get him to play. Here she is dearing him to come and get it.

IMG_6052.jpg

And what she is really after.

4570030053_7e8079eab3.jpg

Guest Pandii

after a shocking few months here at home, I am hoping topick my camera up again

Not street photography but I hope it counts

whales4.jpg

Edited by Pandii

Everyone is on the right track.

Essentially you are trying to do two things at the same time... photograph an event/moment as it happens AND make it interesting to look at.

Becandcharch is a good example. It's not the most exciting moment in the world, but it's intersting to look at. Nice composition and nicely toned. :)

Thanks Ash :)

A friend sent me this link and I thought it tied in well with this months challenge

The Canon Keeper Hunt is a search for the best Keepers, the photos you’ve taken that capture the moment perfectly. Enter your Keeper for the chance to win $20,000 or one of four Canon family prize packs.

http://www.canon.com.au/Keepers/keepers-co...categories.aspx

Edited by becandcharch

Oooh - fun! Looking forward to this one. I like what you've done with the bikes and feet, Bec :( I thought of you over the weekend (stalker! :)). We were staying at a resort on the NSW North coast and they were having triathlons all weekend - lots of boys on bikes.

Edited by huga

After barely having picked up the camera since I fell pregnant I decided that I should get involved in this challenge.

I took this yesterday on OH's Olympus 450 (what an amazing SLR for the price!!)

I love how T bone has morphed into a demon while he sets off to get the beloved stick.

4573833365_f9e4ac4f8f_b.jpg

Edited by blacklabrador

Oooh - fun! Looking forward to this one. I like what you've done with the bikes and feet, Bec :cheer: I thought of you over the weekend (stalker! :dancingelephant:). We were staying at a resort on the NSW North coast and they were having triathlons all weekend - lots of boys on bikes.

:birthday: Thats the funny thing about Dol. You end up knowing so much about people you have never met that things do remind you of them!

As soon as I walked into that kids store a while back I thought of you straight away and had to send you their details!

blacklabrador I love those stretched out legs!!

Ok more Bob Echo photos from today.

Bob decided he did not like Echo in the sand pit and chased her off for quite a while. He was really into it.

4575021345_451f2a4a8d.jpg

It is very hard for a little dog to get out of a sand pit and land on his feet instead of his head.

4575005279_78672d54da.jpg

Sorry all my photos end up being the same thing.

I will really try for some different stuff during the month.