Elbie, Hoover, Dodge & Friends!

Elbie does not play tug, we cannot get him to play tug but he's annoying in that he will try to attack his leash, blankets/towels/pillows/cushions and bedding. Nothing else, just those sorts of things. We've been methodically desensitising him to all of these items. He's at the point where he will sleep in his crate at night with his hot water bottle wrapped in a blanket and with a towel tucked around him and not attack them. He's also almost dropped his leash gnawing.

The big red fluffy towel remained a particular bug bear and now and then he will attack it so we have been desensitising him to it - dangling it in his face and waving it around him like a flag - giving him a treat when he ignores it.

Tonight, he seemed to pass his "ignore the big red fluffy towel" test with flying colours ;)

elbie199.jpg

Hi I don't post a lot of replys in a lot of thread and Im sure there are others like me also, I enjoy seeing Elbies progress. Why were you going to have the thread deleted?? Just curious, especially when you have taken so much time to keep a lovely record of his progress.

Sorry, I didn't mean to cause any concern. I've put the title back in the thread. Elbie's totally fine but still a mutt ;)

You aren't advertising cross breeds, you are sharing a journal of your furbaby's progress :( Elbie is adorable.

You aren't advertising cross breeds, you are sharing a journal of your furbaby's progress :confused: Elbie is adorable.

Totally agree :laugh:

I love reading about Elbie, and looking at pics! Besides, if you don't keep putting pics up how will we know what his ears end up doing? lol, Elbie has pretty epic ears :laugh:

Hey Elbie... we went to BDOC for our first session this morning... we were inside for the "parent's" session. Hopefully we'll get to meet next week!

Oh great, hope you found the parents' session interesting. We had a funny thing this morning that one of our classmates got mixed up so showed up without her dog and then realised that it was just the beginners class where you were supposed to show up without your pooch :) Elbie really enjoyed his first bronze class and we have a couple of our old classmates from beginners, which is great.

Elbie's lookin' really cute :eek:

Not always .... here we have sleeping Elbie the Drooler :eek:

droolpuppy.jpg

I wasn't able to mop up the drool with a tissue before it hit the ground ;)

See you next week! I am sure I should be able to find you :eek: Otherwise, perhaps we can meet up in the offlead area after class.

hahaha! That's hilarious! Does Elbie drool a lot, or was he dreaming about T-Bone steak or something?

It was funny but a bit gross at the same time. I've never seen him drool while sleeping before and it was particularly elasticky drool :) He does drool when waiting for his food for a long time, though. Since he's been a very tiny puppy we made him wait for his food and he used to sit there and quiver but we found out that for obedience, he'll probably have to do a sit stay and wait for 30 seconds for his food as part of "mealtime manners". I practised making him wait for 30 seconds and he definitely waited but I felt so bad for him because while he was waiting he was staring at the food intently and drooling all over the floor :eek:

Elbie resting his head on my leg and making googoo eyes - he's shameless, he just wants a treat :)

googooeyes01.jpg

googooeyes02.jpg

googooeyes03.jpg

I've spent the last 3 days trying to teach Elbie how to play dead. Well that's overstating it, we had 3 short sessions, when he was doing tricks for his dinner on Saturday and Sunday night. I got him to drop and then flop onto his side without doing a complete rollover, but he wouldn't do it at the 'bang' prompt, I had to do drop and then lure to a side flop. Then when he was working for his dinner tonight, my husband suddenly managed to get Elbie to play dead.

Even so, he's such an energetic little pup that he doesn't do that convincing limp death thing very well :laugh:

Play Dead Attempt #1: This is the version we call the "twitching death throes" (and instant miraculous resurrection) death .... Video

Play Dead Attempt #2: This is the version we call the "hesitant slightly delayed afterthought death". Video

Play Dead Attempt #3: This is "instant death". Video

I'm not sure how we get him to look more convincing :)

Edited by koalathebear