Artemis V Eagle Pack V Ziwipeak

Hey everybody!

I need a bit of help choosing a kibble for my little man. He is a 6 month old mini dachshund, and atm he is getting Dr B BARF patties and raw bones most days. I'm thinking of feeding him kibble in the mornings for his 'breakfast cereal' lol. I tried once before with RC junior mini dachshund formula, but he wouldn't touch it (my parent's 15 year old JRT on the other hand loved it hahaha). I have noticed my dachshund tries to steal the JRTs kibble though (she just gets supercoat when she's not eating dinner scraps or my dog haha) so I know he can eat the stuff!

So, nutritionally speaking they seem similar unless there is something I am missing? In regards to taste, which should I try first? Which is the most popular and 'yummy'?

Looking forward to your responses!

Oh and ETA: What do people think about the canned foods from ziwipeak and eagle pack? Would this be a special occasion thing or could i feed him this instead of the BARF? i don't ever really hear people mention them..

Edited by nadz

I prefer BARF over dry :)

Of the 3 foods you have listed I would choose Eagle Pack (which I is now called something else - Holistic Select I think??).

Artemis reads very well but I know of quite a few dogs that haven't liked it at all (neither my dog nor cat would touch it). Ziwi peak is very good but also pretty expensive. Eagle Pack sits nicely in the middle and it's a good quality food. It can be hard to get hold of sometimes though. I also like Nutrience as a premium dry food.

Most suppliers will send you samples so that your dog can try the food before you buy it. Otherwise just get the smallest bag you can find and see how you go. Nothing worse than having 20kg's of food that you can't use lol.

I've recently changed over to Artemis. My boys don't like it that much, even the little gutsy one turns his nose up.

I'm softening it up with hot water or broth to create a thick poridge and am adding small bits of cooked chicken (or mince) as he loves this type of food better and it seems to be working well. About 2/3's of the kibble and the rest tasty stuff. Artemis feeding guide is around 4 - 5 serves @250gm each serve per day for a 14kg puppy. I'm probably not reaching that level yet but am still happy he's getting some nutritional value into his hollow legs.

As things continue, I'll try adding sardines and possibly some small amount of wet food such as Natures Gift to vary the flavour if necessary.

Have tried Eagle Pack Holistic, it's good but caused a little itching with my boys so am avoiding corn, wheat, barley and glutens.

Like SecretKei said, get the smallest sized packs and try them out. :)

chicken pieces or mince (cooked) into the mix so he gets it down him.

I like the ingredience but they much preferred Nutro even if it made them a little itchy.

I've also got some 100gm tins of Natures Gift which I'll rub into the kibble for a flavour change. As long as pup is eating a cup of Artemis a day, I'm happy.

:p

Eagle Pack is good but has some ingredients I need to avoid with my boys.

And as SecretKei said, just get the smallest size and give it a go. :p

I've recently changed over to Artemis. My boys don't like it that much, even the little gutsy one turns his nose up.

I'm softening it up with hot water or broth to create a thick poridge and am adding small bits of cooked chicken (or mince) as he loves this type of food better and it seems to be working well. About 2/3's of the kibble and the rest tasty stuff. Artemis feeding guide is around 4 - 5 serves @250gm each serve per day for a 14kg puppy. I'm probably not reaching that level yet but am still happy he's getting some nutritional value into his hollow legs.

As things continue, I'll try adding sardines and possibly some small amount of wet food such as Natures Gift to vary the flavour if necessary.

Have tried Eagle Pack Holistic, it's good but caused a little itching with my boys so am avoiding corn, wheat, barley and glutens.

chicken pieces or mince (cooked) into the mix so he gets it down him.

I like the ingredience but they much preferred Nutro even if it made them a little itchy.

I've also got some 100gm tins of Natures Gift which I'll rub into the kibble for a flavour change. As long as pup is eating a cup of Artemis a day, I'm happy.

:p

Eagle Pack is good but has some ingredients I need to avoid with my boys.

And as SecretKei said, just get the smallest size and give it a go. :p

Edited by wire

Edited by wire

Hi Nadz

I have tried Kody on Artemis, however he does wonderfully on the Eagle Pack - Duck formula (nice shiny coat, good weight & firm stools). Kody is also pretty picky with what he will/wont eat, however he seemed to enjoy both dry foods.

My suggestion would be to pick one and try it out. As they are all super premium foods, if you find you boy doesn't do well or enjoy it, you can return it for an exchange or refund.

Also consider emailing each of the companies, as most of the time they will be more than happy to send out some samples. (I contacted EP and Lexi was more than happy to provide me with advice and samples. I received the samples within 2-3 days! The email address is [email protected])

I have not tried the tin foods, however like you have wondered if the EP tin food would be ok for a sometimes treat. I will watch this thread to see if anyone else has had experience with the canned formulas.

Thanks so much everyone for the replies! I'll have a look at the EP holistic select and the ziwipeak I think.. price isn't really a concern because he is only 4kgs so wont go through much of it for only 1 meal a day! The $23 box of BARF will take him 2 months to go through if he gets the kibble LMAO!

So with the ziwipeak I get any of the flavours and they are ok for puppies? doesn't seem they have a puppy specific formula and the feeding guide includes puppies. And with the EP, i'd do with the holistic small and mini breed?

Artemis feeding guide is around 4 - 5 serves @250gm each serve per day for a 14kg puppy. I'm probably not reaching that level yet...

My goodness! I hope you NEVER reach that level of food :) I think you have misread the feeding guide somewhere as that would be 1kg - 1.25kg of food per day.

Depending on the puppy's age the feed guide for a 14kg puppy is as follows:

3 -4 months - approx 375g per day split into 3 meals per day so only 125g per feed

5 -7 months - approx 280g per day split into 2 -3 meals per day

8- 12 months - approx 215g per day

Of course if you are adding other foods to puppy's diet then you need to cut the above back.

I really encourage people to use these feeding guides as just that, a starting guide, each puppy is different, some will need more food than others etc, its far better to monitor your puppy's weight and keep a close eye on things like feeling but not seeing ribs, a waistline etc and then adjusting the food accordingly. :p

I have fed my dogs both Artemis and Eagle Pack Holistic (all sorts of flavours). My little bully didn't do so good on the EP chicken, he now has VAN / raw. My rottie who is 70% VAN/raw, still has some Artemis, and I switch between that and the EP fish if I can get it on sale. She does well on both and doesn't have any problem with the taste of either.

Artemis made the top 20 in Whole Dog Journal if that helps you make a decision.

I just went to 2 of my local pet food shops and neither had ZiwiPeak kibble, one had venison and mussel treats so I got some of those and he loves them! I emailed the distributor (prestige pet products) and she's going to send me some samples, great customer service! I got some samples of the EP holistic select small and mini breed puppy formula, and also the small and medium breed puppy formula (would this be ok to feed him long term? even though he is a mini?). The strange this is, even though they had samples of the mini formula they don't actually stock it? Has anyone seen it around? petsonthepark.com.au have it so if he loves it i can get it from there..

What do people think of nutro and nutrience? the shops seemed to have heaps of stuff from them but are they as good as the artemis/EP/ZiwiPeak? would i be better off with artemis if the EP and ZiwiPeak proves to hard to get?

Sorry for the million and one questions..

Artemis feeding guide is around 4 - 5 serves @250gm each serve per day for a 14kg puppy. I'm probably not reaching that level yet...

My goodness! I hope you NEVER reach that level of food :laugh:

:D :):) I was thinking the same thing, I have bulldogs who are roughly around the 25-30kg mark. i'm not feeding them Artemis or EP but they are getting dryfood & raw meat (with sardines & yoghurt) I feed them twice a day with all meals weighed to the gm. My 2 boys get 400gms of food each meal, my girl who is about 20kg mark gets 250gms of food a meal & they all are a pretty good size. I understand puppies need more to grow but I think 250gms of anything 4-5times a day is just way too much.

Edited by moko81

Lilydale Petstock have the mini puppy in stock.

It really depends on what ingredients you want to see in the dog or not in the food as to how good they are. :laugh: And why.

I try to avoid wheat as my doggies itch a bit when fed food with that in it.

The best food is the one that your dogs do best on. For me that is Pro Plan Lifestyle or Sensitive Skin. They don't have major problems with any of the foods you mentioned but they just bloom a bit more on the Pro Plan.

ETA: I can't be bothered with foods I have to order. I did try Artemis and found it a pain to get hold of. So that also effects what I buy.

Edited by JulesP

I just went to 2 of my local pet food shops and neither had ZiwiPeak kibble, one had venison and mussel treats so I got some of those and he loves them! I emailed the distributor (prestige pet products) and she's going to send me some samples, great customer service! I got some samples of the EP holistic select small and mini breed puppy formula, and also the small and medium breed puppy formula (would this be ok to feed him long term? even though he is a mini?). The strange this is, even though they had samples of the mini formula they don't actually stock it? Has anyone seen it around? petsonthepark.com.au have it so if he loves it i can get it from there..

What do people think of nutro and nutrience? the shops seemed to have heaps of stuff from them but are they as good as the artemis/EP/ZiwiPeak? would i be better off with artemis if the EP and ZiwiPeak proves to hard to get?

Sorry for the million and one questions..

Hi Nadz

Ziwipeak doesn't make a kibble - it is air dried meat etc and very similar in texture to the treat range. Anyone who stocks Prestige products can order it in for you. We always have samples, and always have Artemis samples as well. Personally, I prefer the small breed puppy Artemis over the EP puppy, but as is often said, it is what your dog does best on. We are in Vic, so feel free to pm me if you need help finding a retailer in your area with those products.

Sags

I feed Ziwipeak as my dry food, and complete meal patties (these are a BARF pattie, but are organic).

I have tried the artemis, but nobody liked it.

I do get the EP Duck for one of my boys as he likes it, and doesnt get itchy like he does other things.

Personally, I think Ziwi is the way to go.

I buy all of mine online at Pookinuk.com.au

$5 delivery and that comes via a courier. Im In brisbane and generally get mine the next day. Service is BRILLIANT!

They also have K9 Natural which is another food my little piglets enjoy.

Thanks everyone for your input! To be honest I'm leaning towards ZiwiPeak, if he likes the treats chances are he'll like the food? would it be worth while feeding him a bowl of treats to see if he eats them up... if they are essentially the same (or very similar) to the food? saves me waiting for ZiwiPeak samples then i can just order a full size online..

I'll still try him on the EP holistic select mini though.. such a tough decision hahaha.

Do people alternate their dog's food? Do they get sick of the same thing everyday?

Thanks everyone for your input! To be honest I'm leaning towards ZiwiPeak, if he likes the treats chances are he'll like the food? would it be worth while feeding him a bowl of treats to see if he eats them up... if they are essentially the same (or very similar) to the food? saves me waiting for ZiwiPeak samples then i can just order a full size online..

I'll still try him on the EP holistic select mini though.. such a tough decision hahaha.

Do people alternate their dog's food? Do they get sick of the same thing everyday?

I would avoid alternating the dry food personally. When changing diets it is good to do it gradually to avoid stomach upsets.

You can always add something to it as a treat occasionally. My boy likes some natural yogurt or sardines.

I have also used Pookinuk and found I usually received my delivery the next business day. Great service!