A Small Tiff In The Off-leash Park

- obviously these dogs didnt get the memo that labs can be dangerous and aggressive :cry:

Any breed of dog can be dangerous or aggressive.

Most Labs aren't agressive, it's not typical of their temperment. But individual Labs can be and are. Not every individual in any breed has the breed typical temperament.

What does seem to be typical of their temperament, at least as adolescents, in my direct experience is very little sense of personal space or normal dog manners. Not all (see above, LOL) but most who haven't been taught otherwise.

I love Labs. And I avoid young Labs like the plague at dog parks until I can assess from a distance how rude or polite they are with other dogs. That said, some of my dogs' best friends are Labs. :mad

Edited by Diva

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the OP's dog is a rude dog and I can't fathom why they think it it ok to behave this way

That's a bit unfair. If you've read the posts in this thread, the OP has acknowledged the points raised and is taking them on board.

Breed is never an excuse for anything,

-it's ok for my small dog to growl because he is small

-it's ok for my excitable bouncy breed to bounce in your dogs face hes just playing

-it's ok for my herding breed to run round your dog, he's only herding him

If you have to make these excuses it's probably not ok behaviour.

Interesting thread.

I own two small dogs.

I don't use off leash parks - there are too many naive dog owners that use them and they can be dangerous. I walk past one every day on the ocean walk, and often large dogs will bound up to my two, and the owner says "he's friendly", well guess what? one of my dogs isn't - he can be DA as my three were attacked whilst on lead by an off leash dog last year. If I had not been as dog savvy as I am, the dog would have killed my old blind boy, as he had him by the throat. I broke my thumb in the process of grabbing him by the scruff and getting him off my dog. :cry:

There is nothing more arrogant and dangerous than a dog owner that does not have effective recall, and allows their dog to bound up to others and jump all over them.

-it's ok for my excitable bouncy breed to bounce in your dogs face hes just playing

That's it in a nutshell :cry:

I totally agree with you. I have 2 mini schnauzers. and just because they are small breeds, they have to abide by my rules and regulations too. If I expect them to to behave, then I also expect other dogs, large or small to do the same. I have had on occasions, a certain dog that tries to hump my older boy, and the owner totally ignored what her dog did, until I asked her to stop her dog from doing so. Other people at the park have also had this happen. I don't like to pick my boy up every time this dog comes close. Her dog is totally uncontrolled and has crossed from the car park section across to where I am walking my boys, just to be a pest. When I see her and her 3 dogs I just go the opposite direction.

While I rarely take Zero to off leash parks (the dog beach is the only place we do go unless it's to training which is off leash), I do regularly walk through an onleash park where there are sometimes off leash dogs. One day there was a dog that managed to get free of his leash and proceded to run up and attack Zero while the owner called to me that he was friendly.

Unfortunately, this is one of many experiences I have with people telling me that their dog is friendly when it's not always - if the OP's lab had run up to Zero like that, I would probably have had a moment of "maybe it's not friendly" panic. Zero is usually able to tell me who is a good dog to avoid though (or at least who I should avoid when he's around) so it would have been pretty short lived.

I don't like Zero to have uncontrolled interactions with other dogs - hence why I don't take him to off leash parks. I like to be able to choose who he has "play time" with and they're all dogs I have known for quite a while. In fact, most of them are DOL dogs!

While I rarely take Zero to off leash parks (the dog beach is the only place we do go unless it's to training which is off leash), I do regularly walk through an onleash park where there are sometimes off leash dogs. One day there was a dog that managed to get free of his leash and proceded to run up and attack Zero while the owner called to me that he was friendly.

Unfortunately, this is one of many experiences I have with people telling me that their dog is friendly when it's not always - if the OP's lab had run up to Zero like that, I would probably have had a moment of "maybe it's not friendly" panic. Zero is usually able to tell me who is a good dog to avoid though (or at least who I should avoid when he's around) so it would have been pretty short lived.

I don't like Zero to have uncontrolled interactions with other dogs - hence why I don't take him to off leash parks. I like to be able to choose who he has "play time" with and they're all dogs I have known for quite a while. In fact, most of them are DOL dogs!

I also prefer to let my dog play with dogs I know :cry:

You know what I never undertand the point of these types of thread anyway as they ALWAYS end up in a b*tch fest about certain breeds, certain dog sizes, irresponsible owners and both sides of the fence arguing over the pros and cons of offlead areas/dog parks and the OP is either castigated or empathised and sympathised with and quite frankly nothing is ever achieved. The same old same old is covered time and time again :cry:

You know what I never undertand the point of these types of thread anyway as they ALWAYS end up in a b*tch fest about certain breeds, certain dog sizes, irresponsible owners and both sides of the fence arguing over the pros and cons of offlead areas/dog parks and the OP is either castigated or empathised and sympathised with and quite frankly nothing is ever achieved. The same old same old is covered time and time again :mad

And sometimes people reading think harder about their own dog's behaviour, learn a little from the experiences and knowledge of others, and avoid having incidents themselves.

This thread hasn't been a bitchfest. :cry: Although some have gotten a little defensive about their own dogs.

the OP's dog is a rude dog and I can't fathom why they think it it ok to behave this way

That's a bit unfair. If you've read the posts in this thread, the OP has acknowledged the points raised and is taking them on board.

Yeh, what Erny said ! :cry: . That is actually really unfair and quite rude in itself.

I'd encourage you to read my posts a little more thoroughly. I never once said it was okay for my dog to behave in this way so pull your head in and pay a little more attention to detail.

Leaving this thread now, again, I'd like to thank the many constructive posts and those who took the time to reply with thoughtful input.

:mad:mad

edited to add: Rebanne, I can see from your posts in other threads that your contributions are incredibly constructive and clearly composed with alot of thought. See any pattern emerging ???

Edited by mrs tornsocks

Id like to thank you Mrs Tornsocks for innitiating a very informative thread....Im sure Im not the only one who thinks so...you certainly dont own a rude dog..you do own however....like so many of us..... a young dog who is in the process of learning manners. Disregard the snide remarks from those who arnt able to see the point of all the exchange of views here. No need to apologise. The best and most insightful posts have come from very knowledgable people and contained no negatives. Those who are really knowledgable and effective dog owners can offer advice without self agrandisement and hurtful or belittling remarks. You are very aware that your lovely Lab boy, however endearing, still has a way to go towards well mannered maturity. Same applies to all young dogs walking the earth. 'Lab bashers ' merely show themselves to be ignorant of canine behabviours. All breeds can and do behave badly sometimes.

Never owned a Lab..but they have been in my immediate family for 16 years....their behaviour can range from the sublime to the ridiculous....

Edited by Liebhunde

What does seem to be typical of their temperament, at least as adolescents, in my direct experience is very little sense of personal space or normal dog manners. Not all (see above, LOL) but most who haven't been taught otherwise.

I love Labs. And I avoid young Labs like the plague at dog parks until I can assess from a distance how rude or polite they are with other dogs.

:cry:

A lab is a huge heavy thing that can come barrelling towards you with great force. We are not talking about danger from aggression, we are talking about danger from a blunt force trauma.

Nearly split my sides reading that description :cry:

Blunt force trauma :cry:

Dogs that are overly boisterous combined with a size imbalance ARE an issue, regardless of breed. Having our first small dog over the last few months has given me an even better understanding of how small dog owners feel- a dog bounces up to my 4 big dogs and they can at least physically stand while the other dog bounces at them while i quickly intervene. Bounce on my 3kg JRT puppy and he would get frightened, hurt or worse.

Respect and common sense- seems to be sliding out of society in every respect, so no surprise that it hapens with dog owners too. Not referring to the OP- just a general comment.

I have seen the joys of a small white fluffy and a 30KG dog playing... off leash... in real life... with no collateral damage or bruised human egos. Believe it.... or not! Voila!

kimmi_loki_owners-1.jpg

Lo Pan

That's a very cute photo. I'm surprised the toy still has a face. My dog would eat it. So would most labs I know.

Hetzer

I second - big dogs can play with little ones, as long as they know how to play gentle, and the little ones know to back off when they've had enough. It helps a lot if the big dog is very agile or slow, not fast and clumsy.

Hetzer- i agree. I have 2 x 35kg + dogs, 2 x 20kg+ dogs and 1 x 3kg puppy. They play really well and i love watching them interact. But unfortunately many of the dogs i encounter would not play appropriately with my puppy and he would get squished! So i am very careful about the strange dogs he plays with.

Lo Pan

That's a very cute photo. I'm surprised the toy still has a face. My dog would eat it. So would most labs I know.

Hetzer

I second - big dogs can play with little ones, as long as they know how to play gentle, and the little ones know to back off when they've had enough. It helps a lot if the big dog is very agile or slow, not fast and clumsy.

I disagree, my lab wouldnt "eat it" he would play gently - he plays with my cat and she weighs 3kg.