This Is A 'post Mortem' Q For Any Medically Trained Dolers Out

What is the cause of this? Bobby our Italian Greyhound foamed blood from the nose after he had passed away last night.

I am just looking for some answers I guess.

He had congestive heart failure & was on a daily dose of Vetmedin.

He also was on daily phenomav (barbituates) for his epilespy.

He was also on Prednisone daily.

He had an enlarged liver from the barbituates.

He had skin cancers on his belly.

He also had a bad tooth (almost to the point of abscess)

As you can imagine, he was pretty much at his 'time'. BUT I just want to rule out that he didnt eat anything 'bad', such as a poisoned mouse/rat OR potentially had been baited. Bobby's days were spent at our very good friends' house with companion, Ella, the GSD, but was home with us during the night. The friends lived on a corner block with easy access for someone to throw something over the fence.

Ella, the GSD is fine, so I am thinking maybe it was just Bobby in his old age that this would have happened to him 'post death'.

TIA..

I am sorry for your loss Di :welcome:

when a person(animal) dies it is quite common for some blood or other fluid to come out of any orifices within a couple of hours, foamy blood sometime indicates weak lining of the lungs but I have seen this happen a few times with people, it is also known as purging.

I am not a medical person so am not too sure about the medical whys and wherefors however I do work in the funeral industry and have done transfers of deceased people.

Edited by Robbi

Firstly, I'm very sorry for your loss.

Dogs with congestive heart failure have some fluid buildup in their lungs even with good medication, and this can build up when things are going "bad". It is likely that what you saw was this fluid draining from the lungs out his nose. It is often blood tinged (pink) due to higher blood pressure in the lungs, and bubbly due to the movement of air through the lungs.

It must have been very distresing for you.

:welcome:

Dogs with congestive heart failure have some fluid buildup in their lungs even with good medication, and this can build up when things are going "bad". It is likely that what you saw was this fluid draining from the lungs out his nose. It is often blood tinged (pink) due to higher blood pressure in the lungs, and bubbly due to the movement of air through the lungs.

:laugh:

Oh yes, cannot say it was fun at all, me cuddling him on the lounge after he had passed and then watching the blood foaming from his nose!! :wave::laugh:

What you say tho D4F makes alot of sense as the Vetmedin apparently affects the lungs (fluid build up etc) in the long term!! :welcome:

:)

Yep - this would be my guess too. One of the signs of congestive heart failure is moisture in the lungs.

So sorry Di. RIP little man,

Edited by blacklabrador

:)

I think this is probably pretty spot on

What a sad time for you, it is never easy when they go. :)