How Does Your Dog Make You Feel?

ILK

I work full time and my kids are now teens. I get home from work at about 6pm most nights and live a quiet normal happy married life, but when I get home there is only one member of my family that is so overjoyed to see me he is beside himself from the moment my car pulls into the driveway and that of course is my lovely Jacko.

He makes me feel so special and loved and I know he will until the day he goes to rainbow bridge. I must be feeling a bit emotional tonight, my kids are growing up and don't come running to me anymore to tell me stories about their day the way they used to. It is normal I know, but our dogs are such loving beautifully natured creatures who carry these stories with them their entire life - why would anyone be without one or give them up the way they do?

Just wanted to share :heart:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know how you feel ILK, my kids are 14 and 15.... :heart: but my dog is always happy to see me, I'm sure if he could talk he will tell me what he did every minute of the day while I was gone.

I come from a very dysfunctional family and as a result have had some terrible relationships of my own. My younger sister is the same and independantly we made concious decisions not to have children - for us it just seemed like we wouldn't do a good enough job and we weren't willing to risk it given how precious children are. So I've always had a rescue dog or three and my sister has one. I don't feel we treat them like replacement children, but they have given us the opportunity to be safely responsible for another living thing in a way we could not have done with actual children. And their unconditional love and adoration is something we have learnt from over the years. I am very grateful for that and try not to take their presence in my life for granted. Every day has its own magic.

Mine make my heart swell when I look at their faces and realise how much I love them. They make me feel happy and appreciated and they make me laugh even when I'm an absolute grump. They make me wish I was as carefree as them. They amaze me in their ability to be so expressive and communicative. I love how they speak to you in their own way and let you know what they need, and how forgiving they are when you might lash out on them on a bad day. All in all, they make my life better :hug: I don't know what I'd do if they weren't around.

I come from a very dysfunctional family and as a result have had some terrible relationships of my own. My younger sister is the same and independantly we made concious decisions not to have children - for us it just seemed like we wouldn't do a good enough job and we weren't willing to risk it given how precious children are. So I've always had a rescue dog or three and my sister has one. I don't feel we treat them like replacement children, but they have given us the opportunity to be safely responsible for another living thing in a way we could not have done with actual children. And their unconditional love and adoration is something we have learnt from over the years. I am very grateful for that and try not to take their presence in my life for granted. Every day has its own magic.

Your short story has brought a tear to my eye. The love you can have for children is a beautiful thing, but so is the love for your pets. You are right to be grateful and you should be proud that you appreciate the love you have around you no matter where it comes from. Many people take love for granted :hug:

Mine make my heart swell when I look at their faces and realise how much I love them. They make me feel happy and appreciated and they make me laugh even when I'm an absolute grump. They make me wish I was as carefree as them. They amaze me in their ability to be so expressive and communicative. I love how they speak to you in their own way and let you know what they need, and how forgiving they are when you might lash out on them on a bad day. All in all, they make my life better :hug: I don't know what I'd do if they weren't around.

I know exactly what you mean iltby. When I am in a bad or sad mood I take my dog for a walk. I always catch myself smiling at his antics. They certainly are a joy and I can see why they say that animals have healing qualities.

Having had a dog that caused me daily anguish, I am so very thankful for my beautiful Honey for showing me the joys of dog ownership again :hug: .

She is everything I could ever want and her happy face shoved into my lap for a pat a hundred times a day never gets dull. :(

She makes me feel happy.

I work really odd hours, most weekends I don't get home till 2:30am, I sneak in quietly as to not wake the rest of my family and find Buser in my room, quietly wagging and waiting for me to open the door.

We had tradies over today so I had him in his crate while I was having a nap before work (oh the joys of hospitality) and he whinged and whined till I let him out, once out all he wanted to do was jump up on the bed and go to sleep beside me.

He calms me when I'm anxious, he reminds me whats important, I know he'll be there for me till the day he dies and his memories will comfort me even after then.

I don't like being emotional around other people but Buster is a great shoulder to cry on.

We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare.

In return they give us their all.

Its the best deal mankind ever made.

Your short story has brought a tear to my eye. The love you can have for children is a beautiful thing, but so is the love for your pets. You are right to be grateful and you should be proud that you appreciate the love you have around you no matter where it comes from. Many people take love for granted :hug:

I agree. It may not necessarily be the same kind of love, but it is just as special.

Sorry to hear about your family life Puppy Sniffer.

I am in a similar situation and made the choice not to have children for similar reasons. I have always had dogs in my life and to be honest my family dog (border collie x) when I was growing up was probably the only thing that got me through my childhood. She would come to the park with me and we would sit for hours just to get away from my parents. I love my dogs and have such a close relationship with them that when one of them is sick I will stay with them and nurse them constantly until they are well. In return, they care for me when I am unwell, they give absolute unconditional love, they are so excited to see me, they sit with me on the couch and watch TV with me, they are everything to me, I don't know what I would do if I didn't have them. People say that it is different with children, but I think it all comes down to what you care about most in your life. If I had children, maybe my dogs wouldn't play as much of a part in my life. Fact is though, I don't and won't have children so my dogs ARE my children, only people who are in the same position could understand that.

I also never take my babies for granted, they are special every day in many ways :hug:

Young. They are carefree, easy to please, and they run and play for the joy of it. They make me feel young, light-hearted and carefree myself. Who can be sad when they are so happy?

I work really odd hours, most weekends I don't get home till 2:30am, I sneak in quietly as to not wake the rest of my family and find Buser in my room, quietly wagging and waiting for me to open the door.

We had tradies over today so I had him in his crate while I was having a nap before work (oh the joys of hospitality) and he whinged and whined till I let him out, once out all he wanted to do was jump up on the bed and go to sleep beside me.

He calms me when I'm anxious, he reminds me whats important, I know he'll be there for me till the day he dies and his memories will comfort me even after then.

I don't like being emotional around other people but Buster is a great shoulder to cry on.

We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare.

In return they give us their all.

Its the best deal mankind ever made.

Well put!

Firstly, Tokkie, what a beautiful dog :)

Delee, I agree, In the past Ive had some negative experiences as dog owner, the more im learning now I also learning just how purely enjoyable life with a good dog can be.

Cannibalgoldfish aww :laugh: I m sure we've all felt like that at some point. I still do when something Im trying to do, just doesnt fall into place.

The dogs I have right now are very well suited to each other and I SEEM to be doing ok with them :D I do have children - primary aged ones - who need me lots - and and older one - who does need me but doesnt admit it ;) , but I still adore my dogs and love the way they greet me and sit outside the toilet door for me ;)

Ita a standing joke in our family, if anyone in the house is looking for either dog or me, they know we'll probably all be in the same room so find one of us and you'll probably find all of us:o

My kids will always take priority and are my #1 but my dogs make me have my own special feelings for them too ;) When jake just looks at me as though I am .. I dunno, God... I just feel so much for him. He is probably the most loyal little dog I have ever met. I owe him that back. WHen Rosie runs in and so happy to see me, (even if she has a potato peeling in her mouth :mad ) that her body is bent double and she 'smiles' I melt..... .........I cant even tell her off for bringing me the potato peeling :p