What Are His Chances Of Survival?

MsDani

We took my relatives dog to the vet late yesterday afternoon, they have dx him with Parvo!

He's a Staffy, he's 12 months old this month and he is fully vaccinated and was due for his 12 month needle at the end of this month.

Thursday he was a little Lethargic, yesterday afternoon he started vomitting and there was diarrhea in the garden, so straight down to the vet - he wouldn't walk from the carpark to the door. When they took his temp they noticed blood in his bowel and he had a tempreture. They gave him 2 injections, one to help with the vomitting and diarrhea (sorry I don't have the receipt to find out what they gave him) and another of anti-biotics. The vet said to take him home and to give him small amounts of water, he wasn't dehydrated, and if he didn't show signs of improvement by this morning, to take him straight back.

I haven't heard anything this morning just yet. What are his chances of surviving Parvo? I did the stupid thing of googling last night. He's such a beautiful little boy.

Also I have 2 dogs, and 11 year old and an 8 year old (fully vaccinated). I took my shoes off outside before coming home last night and stopped there access to me so I could go straight inside and into the shower. My clothes were put straight into the washing machine. But the staffy was in my car. What is the best way to disinfect my car? And what are the chances of my dogs getting it?

Just need some reassurance - this is the first time I've come across Parvo and it's horrible.

Edited by Goosey~Gander

Oooh, thats really nasty Goosey. Sorry to hear it.

I don't have any direct experience with Parvo but if you go into the Dog Rescue forum there is a pinned thread on Quarantine areas for parvo. This gives some really good tips on ensuring you do not contaminate other areas, dogs etc.

There are also a lot of stories in there about peoples experiences with parvo.

Good luck.

Hey Goosey,

So sorry to hear about your relatives staff :laugh: . Hope he recovers. My rottie pup was 5 months old when she contracted parvo I only had her a few months, but she did pass from it. It is such a long and intricate story but the only reason she passed away was due to the vets stupidity.

I took her straight into the vet once she showed symptoms the vet told me it was parvo and put her immediately on a drip to try and rehydrate her etc. After ONE night on the drip she was making a recovery and the vet said I could take her home and nurse her myself (at the time I was barely 14) so my parents and I took her home (unknowingly how sick she was) and she stayed with us for four days and deteriorated rapidly. The vet gave us electrolytes for her water and special food HOWEVER she was continually vomiting and was extremely ill. I took her back to a different vet who could not believe the other vet had told me to take her home. He said a minimum of a week on I.V fluids and she needed to be isolated etc naturally we went back to the vet lost our minds and got a complete refund and never used that vet again. Unfortunately five days after being admitted Tina passed it was too much stress on her body. The vet had said without question she would have pulled through if the vet hadn't sent her home.

In saying that I am a vet nurse student and if caught early have seen plenty of parvo cases pull through but keep in mind it can be fatal. Hopefully because the staf is twelve months old his body will be a little more resistant and able to fight where as a puppies body is a little more fragile and their immune systems aren't as strong.

In terms of disinfecting after Tina passed I was told parvo can stay dormant for years so I bleached my entire backyard (the concrete part with a water bleach solution) and kept the grass area hosed down (I heard lime powder works well?). The car I didn't disinfect I used a steam cleaner on all the seats and sprayed some glen 20 disinfectant and let the car air for a few days. I got another dog six months later and have never had any of my dogs contract parvo since.

Let me know how the pup goes hope I've helped a little ;)

I'm so sorry to hear about your relatives dog - healing vibes being sent out :rofl:

I work at an emergency vet clinic, and we often have parvo cases in :( , just lately we've had 3 older cases - 12 months and older - and all these dogs have been fit and strong enough to pull through (and 1 of them hadn't had any vaccs), so i've got my fingers crossed for the little man to fight it and have a speedy recovery :laugh: . Keep us updated on his progress :cry:

I wouldnt let my dog come home, I would be keeping him in the vets with a drip until he was eating properly and not vomiting.

I dont understand this trend of a couple of needles and send them home. THe dogs intestines are extremely inflamed and absorption is up the creek! They should be on a drip!

Goosey, K9Angel has very recently had a horrible parvo experience with a foster pup called Luki. You could PM her for some words of comfort/advice or check under the rescue area for the thread about Luki. He is doing so well now despite how desperate things were for him not so long ago.

I wouldnt let my dog come home, I would be keeping him in the vets with a drip until he was eating properly and not vomiting.

I dont understand this trend of a couple of needles and send them home. THe dogs intestines are extremely inflamed and absorption is up the creek! They should be on a drip!

Yeh, I am shocked that the vet let the poor staffy go home instead of putting him on a much needed drip! He may not have been dehydraded then but with the vomiting and diarrhea it sure doesn't take long for the dog to then become dehydrated. If the dog is still vomiting and having the runs I would be taking him back pronto and insisting they put him on the drip which he should have been on all along.

Hey Goosey,

So sorry to hear about your relatives staff :( . Hope he recovers. My rottie pup was 5 months old when she contracted parvo I only had her a few months, but she did pass from it. It is such a long and intricate story but the only reason she passed away was due to the vets stupidity.

I took her straight into the vet once she showed symptoms the vet told me it was parvo and put her immediately on a drip to try and rehydrate her etc. After ONE night on the drip she was making a recovery and the vet said I could take her home and nurse her myself (at the time I was barely 14) so my parents and I took her home (unknowingly how sick she was) and she stayed with us for four days and deteriorated rapidly. The vet gave us electrolytes for her water and special food HOWEVER she was continually vomiting and was extremely ill. I took her back to a different vet who could not believe the other vet had told me to take her home. He said a minimum of a week on I.V fluids and she needed to be isolated etc naturally we went back to the vet lost our minds and got a complete refund and never used that vet again. Unfortunately five days after being admitted Tina passed it was too much stress on her body. The vet had said without question she would have pulled through if the vet hadn't sent her home.

In saying that I am a vet nurse student and if caught early have seen plenty of parvo cases pull through but keep in mind it can be fatal. Hopefully because the staf is twelve months old his body will be a little more resistant and able to fight where as a puppies body is a little more fragile and their immune systems aren't as strong.

In terms of disinfecting after Tina passed I was told parvo can stay dormant for years so I bleached my entire backyard (the concrete part with a water bleach solution) and kept the grass area hosed down (I heard lime powder works well?). The car I didn't disinfect I used a steam cleaner on all the seats and sprayed some glen 20 disinfectant and let the car air for a few days. I got another dog six months later and have never had any of my dogs contract parvo since.

Let me know how the pup goes hope I've helped a little :rofl:

That is so tragic to have lost a much loved pet due to the inadequacies of some idiotic vet who probably could not be bothered with isolation and having to disinfect the place against parvo.

I have lost an entire litter of pups due to parvo and literally sprayed diluted white king everywhere, the walls, the floor inside the house and outside. What an insidious illness.

We took my relatives dog to the vet late yesterday afternoon, they have dx him with Parvo!

He's a Staffy, he's 12 months old this month and he is fully vaccinated and was due for his 12 month needle at the end of this month.

Thursday he was a little Lethargic, yesterday afternoon he started vomitting and there was diarrhea in the garden, so straight down to the vet - he wouldn't walk from the carpark to the door. When they took his temp they noticed blood in his bowel and he had a tempreture. They gave him 2 injections, one to help with the vomitting and diarrhea (sorry I don't have the receipt to find out what they gave him) and another of anti-biotics. The vet said to take him home and to give him small amounts of water, he wasn't dehydrated, and if he didn't show signs of improvement by this morning, to take him straight back.

I haven't heard anything this morning just yet. What are his chances of surviving Parvo? I did the stupid thing of googling last night. He's such a beautiful little boy.

Also I have 2 dogs, and 11 year old and an 8 year old (fully vaccinated). I took my shoes off outside before coming home last night and stopped there access to me so I could go straight inside and into the shower. My clothes were put straight into the washing machine. But the staffy was in my car. What is the best way to disinfect my car? And what are the chances of my dogs getting it?

Just need some reassurance - this is the first time I've come across Parvo and it's horrible.

What do you mean by dx? Has the vet actually carried out a parvo test?

What do you mean by dx? Has the vet actually carried out a parvo test?

dx is a medical term for diagnosed

i'm hearing more and more of this sending home business. Considering it can live in the soil and the dogs would be in the viral shedding stage when they go to the vet why send them home? then we hear "parvo epidemics" in the newspaper. I know a few vets DONT want to deal with parvo puppies due to the mess and the fuss. I think thats poor - who else is meant to deal with it. Plus a dog whos intestinal lining is being decimated by parvo/corona/or both obviously doesnt need anything in there and try to make them eat or drink to unduce gut movement and more pain. Drip, isolation, plasma in the early stages and reintroduce food half a teaspoon full at a time until the dog is better.

ooh every good wish

ive known of a dog..hes six now who was sent to a vet with parvo from a petshop

he was fine after weeks of being at the vet

the other case was a schnauzer pup

also pulled through

all the best with your relatives dog and the cleaning up of your car

Thanks for the replies...

After seeing the vet on Friday Night (not our usual one, but he was the one closest to her as they only moved 2 weeks ago) he said Parvo after doing a sniff test. :thumbsup: (Trust me, I was there when he did it) I called our Vet Saturday after posting on here, and was concerned that they didn't give anymore medication etc etc

She took the little man to our Vet on Saturday and he's been there ever since.

They did testing and it's some sort of Bacterial Infection. He still an extremely sick dog. He passed blood out of his back passage yesterday and apparently he had blood in his vomit (Don't know if it was last night or this morning).

My 2 dogs seem to be ok, but they have been a little bit quiet since I got home from work today, so I'll keep a close eye on them.

My heart is breaking for him and I have everything crossed that he'll recover from this.

ETA: has anyone come across something like this?

Edited by Goosey~Gander

When my boy had gastro he was very sick very quickly. He had vomited when I was at work on Friday. I took him to the vet that night for a check up (I don't normally take them with just one vomit, but something wasn't right). Temp etc normal. The next morning I woke up and he wasn't in bed (very unusual). I found him standing over some vomit with blood in it - he could hardly move. We went straight to Emergency and he was in hospital for 4 days. He was one sick pup. It took him a long time to become 100% again.

Good luck/