Suitable Slr/dslr For A Beginner

Ravyk

I know this is probably done to death, but I am currently seriously looking at purchasing my first SLR/DSLR camera.

But...I HAVE NO IDEA!! :eek:

I'm not really new to photography, but I am new to SLR/DSLR cameras. I have used 'point and shoot camera' most of my 'snapping' life and currently have a Panasonic Lumix FZ-28 for awhile now, and its still a great camera, I just want more lense options.

I am looking for a few things,

-mustn't be uber heavy, as it will come with me everywhere.

-must have a wide range of attachable lenses [i want at least a macro lense, telephoto lense and a wide angle lense].

-something that has a reasonably easy menu and manual settings to understand.

Edited by Ravyk

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say a Canon in the rebel range, they're fairly light compared to the rest, they have an auto option which pretty much means they're a fancy point and shoot until you feel ready to venture into a bit more creative controls. Large range of lenses.

The current model numbers range from 450D to 1000D I think. I had a 400D but that's no longer being made.

What about SOL's new camera? I think that's a Canon 350D.

Im also still researching so will be watching this thread.

Sol got a 1000D, hers is in the range I mentioned.

Edited by Kirislin

I got the Canon 1000D. I LOVE it :eek:

I am a complete beginner in terms of both photography and dslr and am finding this to be a perfect camera for me - it's got all the auto settings for point and shoot but also you can take it out of auto and learn how to manage exposure, shutter speed, ISO settings etc. I'm really enjoying it :o My kit came with 2 lenses but am already looking at purchasing a 50mm down the track.

It was between this and the Nikon 3000. It came down to 'feel'. The Nikon (though a good camera I'm sure) didn't feel as sturdy in my hand as the Canon did but, as I was told, this is like a Ford and Holden situation!

So I'm assuming you got the Holden as you chose the good one :eek:

I think I am going to get the same SOL. I keep looking at your pictures and as Im also a beginner I think it would be great. Keep posting pics :o

What did you pay for yours and what did you get with it SOL?

Cydie wash your mouth out - I'm a Ford girl :o Every single Holden we've had (including the one I named the Demon Car) has been a lemon. Having said that, I currently have a Patrol so have defected completely ;)

I got a deal with Joyce Mayne - it pays to research and haggle - I got the twin lens kit complete with discounted 3yr warranty, polarising filter, 8MB memory card, the deal also came with a free tripod and I spotted a free bag attached to other Canons so got them to throw that in too :eek: All this came to around $900.

Ravyk - I like your OH :cry: I couldn't afford to look at the other models and my OH, not knowing too much about dslrs, almost fainted when he saw the price of the 550~!!

Well I am off to look at cameras today. :D I'm going to look at the 1000D, 450D and OH wants me to check out the 550D too.

Good choices! :thumbsup:

I have the 450D, i've had it for quite a while now and i'm about to upgrade because I've finally got to the stage where I can look at a photo and tell you that my camera can't handle it. I'm also finding that my camera body isn't fast enough for the lenses I've been putting on it lately.

My advice would be to buy the best that you can afford. If you're looking at the 450D and the 550D, have a look at the 500D too. They're all the same "level" of camera (the 450D being the oldest of the three) but the 500 and 550d have video capabilities.

We went looking, and have managed to get the price for the 550D with the twin lense kit to $1449, but as we went to get money out [i have a $1000 limit on my card], they bloody closed! :D So we'll go back tomorrow, after OH has haggled with a few other places. :thumbsup:

Well I am off to look at cameras today. :rofl: I'm going to look at the 1000D, 450D and OH wants me to check out the 550D too.

Good choices! :laugh:

I have the 450D, i've had it for quite a while now and i'm about to upgrade because I've finally got to the stage where I can look at a photo and tell you that my camera can't handle it. I'm also finding that my camera body isn't fast enough for the lenses I've been putting on it lately.

My advice would be to buy the best that you can afford. If you're looking at the 450D and the 550D, have a look at the 500D too. They're all the same "level" of camera (the 450D being the oldest of the three) but the 500 and 550d have video capabilities.

Wow! I was looking to get a 450D. Soo hard to choose when it's a lot of $! I want something awesome but not so awesome I can't handle it from the beginning LOL

Another few questions to do with lenses.

What kind of photo quality differences is there between the kit lenses and the more expensive lenses?

Is it worth it to fork out for the more expensive lenses?

I'm just beginning...

However I have found the 2 lenses that came with the camera really good :laugh: I have purchased a 50mm 1.8 on Saturday just because I saw some pics that have been taken with that lense and thought I WANT IT. The 50mm 1.8 isn't very $$ though. I personally think that if we are just starting out the lenses that come with it are great

OK cool, because I dont really want to fork out massive $$$ for lenses...yet.

Can I ask how much your 50mm cost? Was it the cheaper of two? I saw two today [both Canon lenses], one was about $150-250 [depending on store] and the other was close to $650

Another few questions to do with lenses.

What kind of photo quality differences is there between the kit lenses and the more expensive lenses?

Is it worth it to fork out for the more expensive lenses?

It's definitely worth the extra money - but while you're learning I wouldn't bother. You'll get good shots with the kit lenses. The more expensive lenses have better glass, they tend to be of a better build quality and they do take better photos. They're generally "faster" too meaning they have a higher maximum aperture (the lower the number after the focal length, the wider the aperture size - the wider the aperture is, the more light you can let into the camera). While you're learning how the camera works, I would stick with the kit lenses and maybe the 50mm 1.8 (because it does take beautiful photos!).

OK cool, because I dont really want to fork out massive $$$ for lenses...yet.

Can I ask how much your 50mm cost? Was it the cheaper of two? I saw two today [both Canon lenses], one was about $150-250 [depending on store] and the other was close to $650

There are actually three 50mm lenses - the 1.8, the 1.4 and the 1.2. I don't think I know anyone with the 1.2 because it's a couple of grand worth of lens. The 1.8 will set you back about $120 if you buy online, the 1.4 is about $600. The 1.8 (or the "nifty fifty") is wonderful and it's so cheap!!

If you're open to the idea of buying online, you can get some good deals but watch who you're buying from. I love d-d photographics and they have some great prices. With the 18-55 and the 55-250mm twin lens kit, you can get them at these prices through DD:

500D- $1265

550D- $1399

My OH has managed to haggle the 550D with twin lenses [18-55, 55-250mm] to $1449. We WERE meant to get it today, but I had to get money out and by the time we got they'd closed [slightly early too!] :laugh: